inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The sinking of the Titanic the beggining of the 20th century?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/09 at 2:16 am

Anyone disagree?  :(

Subject: Re: The sinking of the Titanic the beggining of the 20th century?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/09 at 3:24 am

Yes,  It happened in 1912 and a lot went on of much more importance before(and after) April 14, 1912.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/17/09 at 3:56 am

1901 Australia becomes a commonwealth.

May 8, 1902  In Martinique, Mount Pelée erupts, destroying the town of St. Pierre and killing over 30,000 people. Only a handful of residents survive the blast.

1904 Russo-Japanese War Begins

"Bloody Sunday" - Russian Revolution of 1905

1906 San Francisco Earthquake was pretty devastating.

Typhoid Mary (Mallon) was a (seemingly) healthy carrier of the typhoid disease in the years 1906 - 1915.  Forty-seven illnesses and three deaths were attributed to Mallon.

1908 Earthquake in Italy Kills 150,000

Big and little events happened and still happen all the time, it's just that they don't all get movies made about them.  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/09 at 5:18 am

^ All that and don't forget WW1....throw in a romance and they would all be blockbusters!  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/09 at 9:33 am

I don't care about the movie right now people. Lol.  ;D

I'm talking about the real event here. But I do agree with many of you who disagree because there are much more important events during that era. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for those who died or lost loved ones on the Titanic, but I think the first true event of the 20th century was World War I in 1914.

There was a documentary on the Titanic once that said that Titanic's traumatic event was the beggining of an era in the 20th century.

But Titanic is famous enough that even the dumbest person knows about it and it came before World War I that's why I think that it's an event that's more 20th century than 19th and that it could've been the begginning of the 20th century.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/09 at 4:57 pm

They know about it here because it entered America lore because some very rich people died.  There were bigger disasters that had larger consequences around the world.  I would bet in China they would argue that the Boxer Rebellion was the beginning of the 20th Century. There is the death of Queen Victoria, some people say the the WWI may not have happened if King Edward had lived longer.  The Titanic is popular lore, but it is a stretch to think it was unique, or in anyway had an effect on the course of history.

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/09 at 5:23 pm

If we are talking about big events to kick off that century...Titanic is a good place to start. For me though, the Wright Brothers first flight (at Kittyhawk) in 1903 was momentous....

Written By: Paul on 10/18/09 at 1:23 pm

For me though, the Wright Brothers first flight (at Kittyhawk) in 1903 was momentous....

As was Marconi's first Trans-Atlantic 'wireless' signal (1901)...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/19/09 at 12:24 pm

Um...the beginning of the 20th century was January 1st, 1900.   :D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/09 at 2:35 pm

Um...the beginning of the 20th century was January 1st, 1900.   :D

Actually, the beginning of the 20th century was January 1st, 1901

Written By: gmann on 10/19/09 at 2:44 pm

President William McKinley's assassination on September 6, 1901 undoubtedly had far-reaching consequences on American policymaking in the following years.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 10/22/09 at 7:41 pm

^^I agree. It also marked the beginning of TR's presidency, and his policies (mostly referring to progressivism) defined the 1900s.

Written By: gibbo on 10/22/09 at 8:06 pm

President William McKinley's assassination on September 6, 1901 undoubtedly had far-reaching consequences on American policymaking in the following years.

But of course....why consider the entire globe when we can settle on what affected the centre of the Universe?.... ::) ;)

Written By: gmann on 10/23/09 at 7:37 am

But of course....why consider the entire globe when we can settle on what affected the centre of the Universe?.... ::) ;)

??? Whatever floats your boat.

Written By: gibbo on 10/23/09 at 7:54 am

??? Whatever floats your boat.

Now that's a phrase they could have used on the Titanic....

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/23/09 at 11:25 am

The 20th Century had pretty well established itself by 1912 (though the core starting with WW1 hadn't yet arrived). We also had Ford Motor Company founded in 1903 to introduce mass production via the assembly line which would set apart the blacksmith/carpentry method of the 19th Century, plus the debut of the Model T in 1908 would make an automobile affordable to middle-class culture and suburbia kept on thriving throughout the 20th Century as a result, and pretty soon, the horse-and buggy was phased out.  Nickelodeons caused the explosion of the Film Industry.

Try to parallel now how we're currently distinct from the 20th Century: Everday Internet dependence, global communication daily, just to begin with.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/09 at 12:41 pm

The 20th Century had pretty well established itself by 1912 (though the core starting with WW1 hadn't yet arrived). We also had Ford Motor Company founded in 1903 to introduce mass production via the assembly line which would set apart the blacksmith/carpentry method of the 19th Century, plus the debut of the Model T in 1908 would make an automobile affordable to middle-class culture and suburbia kept on thriving throughout the 20th Century as a result, and pretty soon, the horse-and buggy was phased out.  Nickelodeons caused the explosion of the Film Industry.

Try to parallel now how we're currently distinct from the 20th Century: Everday Internet dependence, global communication daily, just to begin with.

The difference between 1900 and 1920 were huge. Imagine how we're gonna be in 2020 compared to 2000!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/09 at 12:44 pm

Thank you you guys for responding to my thread!  :) It's cool when people respond to your ideas or thoughts.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe 2020 won't be that different from 2009 or even 2000.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...