inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Joan Baez

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/25/09 at 5:26 pm

I just watched a Joan Baez Documentary on PBS last week. I thought it was interesting. Her dad was a teacher and she even said she felt like a gypsy because of her travels, and her sister was a musician too.

She sure lived the life of the 60's!

Subject: Re: Joan Baez

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/09 at 4:51 pm

Love Joan.  I remember her back in those days.  She even ended up in L'il Abner,  Al Capp hated her, called her little Joanie Phony.  Al Capp, of course, was an ass in more ways than one.  She is a great talent, I just love that voice, and her.

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/09 at 7:04 pm

Her 1971 version of 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' ended up becoming a bigger hit than the original 1969 version by The Band.  I don't think Robbie Robertson would have minded as I bet he got big time royalties from her version LOL

Written By: Frank on 10/26/09 at 7:59 pm

Her 1971 version of 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' ended up becoming a bigger hit than the original 1969 version by The Band.  I don't think Robbie Robertson would have minded as I bet he got big time royalties from her version LOL

In my opinion, I think her version is one of the better songs during the early 70s.

Written By: gmann on 10/26/09 at 9:19 pm

In my opinion, I think her version is one of the better songs during the early 70s.

I don't have anything against Joan's version, but have always preferred The Band's. IMO, Levon Helm's vocals convey a sincerity that's lacking elsewhere, perhaps because he came from the South and knew its history and people so well.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/09 at 6:28 am

It was Joan who first recognized Dylans genius and introduced him to the folk world.  Then he turned around and screwed her over.  On top of all that, she is one of the best singers of his songs.  Her "Diamonds and Rust" was her well deserved kick in the nuts to him. 

Check for new replies or respond here...