inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Guess Who's "American Woman"

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/09 at 4:02 pm

So I'm slow... I have always thought this song was about some girl the singer didn't want around anymore... turns out the Guess Who is from Canada and didn't like American Politics/the American way--- or whatever---and that the American Woman they are singing about is the Statue of Liberty. 

Am I the only one who was in the dark about this?

Subject: Re: The Guess Who's "American Woman"

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/09 at 4:53 pm

I knew this, which is why I always thought it was odd when Lenny Kravitz sang the song.  That was until I clued in that Lenny's version was about sex appeal, and he removed the political reference lol

Written By: Claybricks on 11/28/09 at 5:00 pm

"Randy Bachman explained the origins of this song in an interview with Words & Music magazine, Spring 2005. Said Bachman: "We were playing in a curling rink in Kitchener, Ontario (Canada), and I broke a string. I was up there alone, tuning up my E an B strings on an old Les Paul. I started playing that riff and in the audience, heads started turning. The band got up, and I said, 'Keep playing this, I don't want to forget it.' When Burton had run out of solos, I yelled out, 'Sing something!' So out of the blue Burton just screamed, 'American Woman, stay away from me!' That was the song, the riff and Burton yelling that line over and over. Later, he added other lines like 'I don't need your war machine, you ghetto scenes.' Before America knew it, it was a #1 record and it was a protest song."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=446

Dan

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/09 at 5:05 pm

"Randy Bachman explained the origins of this song in an interview with Words & Music magazine, Spring 2005. Said Bachman: "We were playing in a curling rink in Kitchener, Ontario (Canada), and I broke a string. I was up there alone, tuning up my E an B strings on an old Les Paul. I started playing that riff and in the audience, heads started turning. The band got up, and I said, 'Keep playing this, I don't want to forget it.' When Burton had run out of solos, I yelled out, 'Sing something!' So out of the blue Burton just screamed, 'American Woman, stay away from me!' That was the song, the riff and Burton yelling that line over and over. Later, he added other lines like 'I don't need your war machine, you ghetto scenes.' Before America knew it, it was a #1 record and it was a protest song."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=446

Dan

yeah I heard a dj talk about the song this morning so I googled it and found the same quote.

Written By: ninny on 11/29/09 at 10:59 am

So I'm slow... I have always thought this song was about some girl the singer didn't want around anymore... turns out the Guess Who is from Canada and didn't like American Politics/the American way--- or whatever---and that the American Woman they are singing about is the Statue of Liberty. 

Am I the only one who was in the dark about this?

I had heard rumors about it.
From Wiki:
The song's origins took the form of a live jam in Kitchener, Ontario. The group was rushing into the second set and began improvising a rhythm to liven up the crowd. Burton Cummings, the lead singer, began improvising lyrics to fit the music.

The song's lyrics have been the matter of some debate, often interpreted as an attack on U.S. politics (especially the draft). Jim Kale, the group's bassist and the song's co-author, explained his take on the lyrics:
“ The popular misconception was that it was a chauvinistic tune, which was anything but the case. The fact was, we came from a very strait-laced, conservative, laid-back country, and all of a sudden, there we were in Chicago, Detroit, New York — all these horrendously large places with their big city problems. After that one particularly grinding tour, it was just a real treat to go home and see the girls we had grown up with. Also, the war was going on, and that was terribly unpopular. We didn't have a draft system in Canada, and we were grateful for that. A lot of people called it anti-American, but it wasn't really. We weren't anti-anything. John Lennon once said that the meanings of all songs come after they are recorded. Someone else has to interpret them.

Randy Bachman has claimed that the American woman referred to in the song is in fact the Statue of Liberty, furthering the anti-war theme.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/01/09 at 7:14 pm

The Guess Who's message/lyrics are fairly clear, but as a 13 year old pubescent girl crazy lad, I wasn't thinking this song was about the statue of liberty, I thought it was a breakup with some dude pissed off at his ex and ranting about it  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/10 at 10:23 pm

I always think of the old guy singing it at Chip's karaoke party in "The Cable Guy."

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...