inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite jukebox model?

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/28/09 at 8:53 am

As you probably know, the Wurlitzer 1015 (with the big, multicolored arches) is the most famous jukebox of all time, but there are other models I enjoy. I own a Wurlitzer 2300 from 1963, and I like Wurlitzers from the 1600 in '56 to the 2600 in '66 as they all can hold up to 100 45s, with a total of 200 songs, meaning over 10 hours of music can be enjoyed for a single machine (provided 3 minutes a song). The earlier models had better styling, while the later models had better sound quality and could display picture sleeves. 1015's (and many from that era) only hold 24 records (one side only!), meaning that often as little as an hour's worth of music, plus 78's wear faster. Wallboxes can be a bigger challenge as many that are available for sale are only compatible with select models. But a jukebox is timeless after sea changes of technological innovations since then.

Subject: Re: Favorite jukebox model?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/09 at 9:04 am

The Wurlitzer 1015 is considered the crowning glory, I also love the Rock-Ola Peacock, it is a beautiful machine

http://www.bmigaming.com/Images/rockola-peacock.jpg

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/06/10 at 4:08 pm

That's a pretty impressive looking machine there! I've never seen one like that before, thanks for posting it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/08/10 at 2:42 pm

I want one in the worst way, you have no idea. 

I think I'm going to build my own.  I don't really want one for records, I want to use it to house a media PC and embed a screen where the records would be displayed so I can access my mp3s/CDs.  My wife is totally against the idea of one in the kitchen (even though we have a perfect spot for one).  So I'm thinking a "mini" jukebox that would fit in my office.  All I know is it has to have "light tubes" with the fluid that bubbles inside of them.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/08/10 at 6:06 pm

I want one in the worst way, you have no idea. 

I think I'm going to build my own.  I don't really want one for records, I want to use it to house a media PC and embed a screen where the records would be displayed so I can access my mp3s/CDs.  My wife is totally against the idea of one in the kitchen (even though we have a perfect spot for one).  So I'm thinking a "mini" jukebox that would fit in my office.  All I know is it has to have "light tubes" with the fluid that bubbles inside of them.

That would be the Wurltizer "Baby Bubbler"

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/09/10 at 2:48 pm

That would be the Wurltizer "Baby Bubbler"

only in New England.  it's a "Baby Water Fountain" everywhere else.

Check for new replies or respond here...