inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 1964-1965 New York World's Fair

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/16/10 at 4:23 pm

Anyone here get a chance to visit the fair? Any memories anyone would like to share? My grandpa worked at the fair as a Pinkerton Security Guard and met his mistress there haha.

Subject: Re: The 1964-1965 New York World's Fair

Written By: Frank on 01/16/10 at 6:10 pm

My dad went, be he's no longer with us.

Written By: Womble on 01/17/10 at 2:22 pm

My parents took me. I was three years old and don't recall the experience but my folks told me I won a model car for answering a question correctly at a quiz boothe.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/17/10 at 6:27 pm

Anyone here get a chance to visit the fair? Any memories anyone would like to share? My grandpa worked at the fair as a Pinkerton Security Guard and met his mistress there haha.

Yes! I went a couple of times. The first week it opened a bunch of us guys cut school and went to see what a world's fair was all about. It was cool to see all the countries doing their thing and the big companies showing off their products, a lot a freebee's were given out by them. There where expositions like General Electric had a big revolving building showing their products. We sat in the in sections and it would rotate around small stags with mechanical people doing skits in their section showing G E products over the century. it was cool then, but that revolving building was adapted by Disney and is used today in their theme parks. I can't remember what company it was, but in 64' they showed the first mini camcorder camera, it was connected to a color TV set and as you walked by the camera you saw yourself on TV... WOW!! was unbelievable at that time.They also were saying that we would have portable telephones in the future because we had the "Tellstar" communication satellite setting the ground work for wireless international  phone  calls...WOW!! that was a real big deal then.

Every country offered their national foods, there was to much to eat, they gave most of it free, we never saw Funnel Cake before this fair, but everyone was eating it around the park, they gave it to you free just to get it noticed for a future market. Germany was our down fall, they had a beer garden with about 100 different German breweries offering samples of their beer, we stopped counting after about 20. There was a steel band there from Trinidad they were the best of all the bands that were there.

The strangest thing I remember about this World's Fair was that New York put "The Worlds Fair" on their car license plates in honor of the affair, and some shrewed lawyer sued the state for advertising a commercial venture on his private plates without his permission and won thousands of dollars in a court battle, but only he did and no one could sue NY after they changed some law allowing the state to keep the "worlds fair" on the plates without paying royalties to a million car owners.   

In a lot of ways Disneyworld today resembles that World's Fair, the Epcot Center is pretty much the same thing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/10 at 6:43 pm

I went-but I don't remember too much. I was told that I wanted to go to see the World's Fairy.  :D ;D ;D ;D

About the only thing I remember was being in one of those car/strollers.

http://blog.prammuseum.com/wp-content/wfcvt-300.jpg

I also remember going to Expo 69 in Montreal-but again, only remember bits of that. But I remember that more than I remember the World's Fair.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 01/17/10 at 10:02 pm

I went-but I don't remember too much. I was told that I wanted to go to see the World's Fairy.  :D ;D ;D ;D

About the only thing I remember was being in one of those car/strollers.

http://blog.prammuseum.com/wp-content/wfcvt-300.jpg

I also remember going to Expo 69 in Montreal-but again, only remember bits of that. But I remember that more than I remember the World's Fair.

Cat

Expo 67, that one I remember more, living in MTL at the time. And I would have been in a similar stroller had I visited the NY fair in 64 or 65.

Check for new replies or respond here...