inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Marilyn Monroe suffer from a mental illness?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/10 at 5:29 pm

I hate to admit it, but there was something about Marilyn that was unstable and it was no mystery. People knew about it and if you read about her you'll know about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but mental illness was in her family was it not?

I love Marilyn, but wonder if she was bipolar, schizophrenic, suffered from depression, or just was a very sad lady. Her life wasn't always happy behind the scenes.

So what do you all think? Did she suffer from a mental illness? If you think yes, then what? Or was she just a very unhappy woman?

I would appreciate it if anyone who knows about psychology would reply.

Subject: Re: Did Marilyn Monroe suffer from a mental illness?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/10 at 5:55 pm

Oh, people who aren't experts can reply also.  ;)  I'm just curious and want some ideas.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/28/10 at 5:27 am

Depression at least, but I also heard that she was bright, but dyslexic, which could have caused multiple emotional problems.  When are very pretty, and intelligent, but treated like a "dumb blond" it has to take its toll.  I believe there have been books written by people who have delved into this.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/10 at 12:27 pm

Depression at least, but I also heard that she was bright, but dyslexic, which could have caused multiple emotional problems.  When are very pretty, and intelligent, but treated like a "dumb blond" it has to take its toll.  I believe there have been books written by people who have delved into this.

Yes, people did and some people still do believe she was or is a dumb blond. Which is sad because she was very smart. Uneducated? Yes. But dumb? No. She was smart, but her curves got in the way.  :-\\

I heard she could've suffered from bipolar or borderline personality disorder. Bipolar was untreatable back then.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/28/10 at 5:59 pm

Yes, people did and some people still do believe she was or is a dumb blond. Which is sad because she was very smart. Uneducated? Yes. But dumb? No. She was smart, but her curves got in the way.  :-\\

I heard she could've suffered from bipolar or borderline personality disorder. Bipolar was untreatable back then.

Wouldn't be surprised if she had bpd because isn't that the disorder of having multiple personalities from being dependent on people's opinions about you?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/10 at 7:39 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if she had bpd because isn't that the disorder of having multiple personalities from being dependent on people's opinions about you?

No, bipolar is when your mood goes up and down and you can't control it. This is different from having multiple personalities.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/10 at 11:27 pm

From what I surmise, she suffered from what we would now call "bipolar disorder," and prescription drug addictions.  Mix in a little alcohol, and you've got suicide time bomb! 

She was no Rhodes scholar, but she definitely had an intellect and a sense of humor and that got confounded by her psychiatric problems, thus did not conspicuously manifest in her personality .

:(

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/10 at 2:42 am

From what I surmise, she suffered from what we would now call "bipolar disorder," and prescription drug addictions.  Mix in a little alcohol, and you've got suicide time bomb! 

She was no Rhodes scholar, but she definitely had an intellect and a sense of humor and that got confounded by her psychiatric problems, thus did not conspicuously manifest in her personality .

:(

She might have had depression also.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/24/10 at 11:41 am

She might have had depression also.

Agreed.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/24/10 at 6:55 pm

Agreed.

A little shocked. No one has replied to this thread in a while.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 12:02 am

Yes.  She was bipolar.  She struggled with alcohol and drug problems.  She was found dead in her apartment when she was 36.  I think it was a drug overdose.  This happens is especially if you mixed those old sedatives with alcohol.  Not a good idea!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/21/10 at 12:19 pm

Yes.  She was bipolar.  She struggled with alcohol and drug problems.  She was found dead in her apartment when she was 36.  I think it was a drug overdose.  This happens is especially if you mixed those old sedatives with alcohol.  Not a good idea!

Wow, shocking to be honest. This would explain why she had trouble showing up to the studios sometimes. Bipolar during the mania phase can cause impulses, but when it's during the really 'down' time you just can't get up. There's complete apathy, but when you're up, you're REALLY up!

Thanks for the info.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/10 at 11:19 pm

Wow, shocking to be honest. This would explain why she had trouble showing up to the studios sometimes. Bipolar during the mania phase can cause impulses, but when it's during the really 'down' time you just can't get up. There's complete apathy, but when you're up, you're REALLY up!

Thanks for the info.

Therapy (analysis) was a joke back then.  The antidepressant drugs were primitive.  But those barbiturates were too easy to get and felt too good....especially after a few drinks and trying to unwind...

Written By: To stay anonymous on 03/21/11 at 12:11 pm

A FEW RANDOM THOUGHTS !!

I wouldn`t describe myself as a fan of Marilyn Monroe in the strict sense of the word, but I can appreciate her unique acting style and her star persona which stood out from the more orthodox stars of the day and most certainly created an enigmatic aura around her.
I can also appreciate her frustration at not being offered more "meaty" roles, however I can see the probable viewpoint of the studios insofar as they have to satisfy shareholders by turning a profit on each project and so their inclination is to play safe by casting the most suitable actor for each role. It would after all be a brave Casting Director who would take the chance of casting an actor outside that actors established parameters. Now this could easily be construed as artistically stifling, however, the motion picture industry is not about pure artistic endeavour, it is more about an industry that incorporates art.
A cardinal rule is.....Turn up on time and know your lines, something it is alleged Marilyn Monroe was not exactly good at doing. A little further down the page I will address the reasons for this in my own opinion, however, I can see how such behaviour would not exactly endear her to the production team and consequently the "powers that be" within the studio. The ramification of such behaviour would most likely also impact adversely on her desire to be taken more seriously.

It is plainly obvious that a lot of speculation exists about the circumstances of her death based on both information and disinformation, the disinformation I presume emanating in the most part from those who had an interest in fogging and confusing the issue as much as possible. There is also an apparent plethora of misinformation which doesn`t exactly help either.
I would think anyone who has taken the trouble to read of the circumstances and events surrounding her death would conclude at the very least that it was suspicious and my own view is that the weight of evidence points to murder by the hand of person or persons unknown.
Considering the amount of contradictory evidence it is all but impossible to narrow down the suspects definitively but that same weight of evidence does seem to point in the direction of a political will to see Marilyn Monroe silenced permanently.

The only observation I can add to the general mix with any certainty at all is my conviction that she suffered from Bipolar Disorder and the reason I can say this with conviction is because I have a mild form of it myself. I therefore struggle with the logic behind the apparent treatment metered out by a doctor or doctors who only appear to have addressed the insomnia aspect of her disorder by prescribing Pentobarbital (Nembutal) whilst at the same time apparently ignoring the infinitely more important issue of stabilising the condition itself which would have had the effect of reducing if not completely eradicating the insomnia aspect of her disorder.....A classic case of dealing with the effect instead of the cause !
Pentobarbital as a barbiturate has a not inconsiderable addictive aspect and should therefore not be taken or administered over a prolonged period, yet a doctor or doctors deemed it perfectly reasonable in the face of this clear knowledge to do just that, with the predictable consequence that over time Marilyn Monroe became dependant upon Nembutal and this dependence would without doubt lead to her inability to function normally on a day to day basis.
The incidence of addictive tendency is also much higher than the norm amongst those who have Bipolar Disorder and this fact is bound to have been known then as now.
In like manner the incidence of Bipolar Disorder amongst those of us involved in the performing arts is evidentially also higher than one might find in other industries, and this quite explicable by the inherent nature and qualities needed to satisfy the demands of the job. It may also explain the fragile personalities displayed by many involved in the performing arts and evidenced by the number of "doctors of the mind" practicing in and around tinsel town.

It is within my understanding that the only way to administer with certainty a lethal dose of Pentobarbital would be by enema (which much evidence appears to support in this case) because the ingestion of Pentobarbital at a level sufficient to prove fatal could well precipitate vomiting which might then reduce the administered dose to a less than lethal level. It is reasonable to presume this fact was never privy to only the medical profession, however, it does imply a sinister working knowledge of the drug way beyond its intended dosage by whoever administered the fatal dose on that night.

I wonder how many upon hearing the news that John Kennedy had been assassinated might have thought, "Remember Marilyn Monroe".
Equally, I wonder how many upon hearing the news that Robert Kennedy had been assassinated might have thought something very similar !
On parallel theme, I wonder how many people still alive today who had a direct hand in the murder of Marilyn Monroe or were complicit to the murder have lived with that knowledge by convincing themselves that they did their patriotic duty !

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/11 at 1:03 pm

Marilyn Monroe was definitely a complex person. You can't describe her in simple terms. Mental illness? Probably. And with drugs & alcohol mixed in is not a good combination. And the main problem was that no one had her interest at heart. You saw the same thing with Elvis & Michael Jackson. But, I think with Marilyn was a bit different. Yeah, she had issues with drugs & alcohol but I think she was realizing what they were doing to her and she was trying to curve her usage. Like To stay anonymous above ^, I, too believe that Marilyn was murdered and yes, I believe the Kennedy boys had something to do with it. I think she was going to reveal something that they didn't want to reveal and I think it was more than just that she was "boinking" the two of them. I think it was something that would have landed one or two of them in jail. So, here was a woman who had a reputation of having drug & alcohol issues and who will question that she would O.D.? It was a perfect crime.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/11 at 12:20 am

Marilyn Monroe was definitely a complex person. You can't describe her in simple terms. Mental illness? Probably. And with drugs & alcohol mixed in is not a good combination. And the main problem was that no one had her interest at heart. You saw the same thing with Elvis & Michael Jackson. But, I think with Marilyn was a bit different. Yeah, she had issues with drugs & alcohol but I think she was realizing what they were doing to her and she was trying to curve her usage. Like To stay anonymous above ^, I, too believe that Marilyn was murdered and yes, I believe the Kennedy boys had something to do with it. I think she was going to reveal something that they didn't want to reveal and I think it was more than just that she was "boinking" the two of them. I think it was something that would have landed one or two of them in jail. So, here was a woman who had a reputation of having drug & alcohol issues and who will question that she would O.D.? It was a perfect crime.

Cat

I actually think she was murdered too, but unlike you, never had the guts to admit it until this reply here, Lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/22/11 at 12:21 am

A FEW RANDOM THOUGHTS !!

I wouldn`t describe myself as a fan of Marilyn Monroe in the strict sense of the word, but I can appreciate her unique acting style and her star persona which stood out from the more orthodox stars of the day and most certainly created an enigmatic aura around her.
I can also appreciate her frustration at not being offered more "meaty" roles, however I can see the probable viewpoint of the studios insofar as they have to satisfy shareholders by turning a profit on each project and so their inclination is to play safe by casting the most suitable actor for each role. It would after all be a brave Casting Director who would take the chance of casting an actor outside that actors established parameters. Now this could easily be construed as artistically stifling, however, the motion picture industry is not about pure artistic endeavour, it is more about an industry that incorporates art.
A cardinal rule is.....Turn up on time and know your lines, something it is alleged Marilyn Monroe was not exactly good at doing. A little further down the page I will address the reasons for this in my own opinion, however, I can see how such behaviour would not exactly endear her to the production team and consequently the "powers that be" within the studio. The ramification of such behaviour would most likely also impact adversely on her desire to be taken more seriously.

It is plainly obvious that a lot of speculation exists about the circumstances of her death based on both information and disinformation, the disinformation I presume emanating in the most part from those who had an interest in fogging and confusing the issue as much as possible. There is also an apparent plethora of misinformation which doesn`t exactly help either.
I would think anyone who has taken the trouble to read of the circumstances and events surrounding her death would conclude at the very least that it was suspicious and my own view is that the weight of evidence points to murder by the hand of person or persons unknown.
Considering the amount of contradictory evidence it is all but impossible to narrow down the suspects definitively but that same weight of evidence does seem to point in the direction of a political will to see Marilyn Monroe silenced permanently.

The only observation I can add to the general mix with any certainty at all is my conviction that she suffered from Bipolar Disorder and the reason I can say this with conviction is because I have a mild form of it myself. I therefore struggle with the logic behind the apparent treatment metered out by a doctor or doctors who only appear to have addressed the insomnia aspect of her disorder by prescribing Pentobarbital (Nembutal) whilst at the same time apparently ignoring the infinitely more important issue of stabilising the condition itself which would have had the effect of reducing if not completely eradicating the insomnia aspect of her disorder.....A classic case of dealing with the effect instead of the cause !
Pentobarbital as a barbiturate has a not inconsiderable addictive aspect and should therefore not be taken or administered over a prolonged period, yet a doctor or doctors deemed it perfectly reasonable in the face of this clear knowledge to do just that, with the predictable consequence that over time Marilyn Monroe became dependant upon Nembutal and this dependence would without doubt lead to her inability to function normally on a day to day basis.
The incidence of addictive tendency is also much higher than the norm amongst those who have Bipolar Disorder and this fact is bound to have been known then as now.
In like manner the incidence of Bipolar Disorder amongst those of us involved in the performing arts is evidentially also higher than one might find in other industries, and this quite explicable by the inherent nature and qualities needed to satisfy the demands of the job. It may also explain the fragile personalities displayed by many involved in the performing arts and evidenced by the number of "doctors of the mind" practicing in and around tinsel town.

It is within my understanding that the only way to administer with certainty a lethal dose of Pentobarbital would be by enema (which much evidence appears to support in this case) because the ingestion of Pentobarbital at a level sufficient to prove fatal could well precipitate vomiting which might then reduce the administered dose to a less than lethal level. It is reasonable to presume this fact was never privy to only the medical profession, however, it does imply a sinister working knowledge of the drug way beyond its intended dosage by whoever administered the fatal dose on that night.

I wonder how many upon hearing the news that John Kennedy had been assassinated might have thought, "Remember Marilyn Monroe".
Equally, I wonder how many upon hearing the news that Robert Kennedy had been assassinated might have thought something very similar !
On parallel theme, I wonder how many people still alive today who had a direct hand in the murder of Marilyn Monroe or were complicit to the murder have lived with that knowledge by convincing themselves that they did their patriotic duty !

I like your response. If I could give you a karma point, I would!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/11 at 11:34 am

I actually think she was murdered too, but unlike you, never had the guts to admit it until this reply here, Lol.

Good for you.

*Side note: This board has made me very brave over the years I have been here. I have admitted a lot stuff that I wouldn't normally.

Karma.

Cat

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 9:57 am

well she did commit suicide. imo, it's extremely rare for a sane person to commit suicide.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/11 at 1:15 pm

well she did commit suicide. imo, it's extremely rare for a sane person to commit suicide.

Whether she actually did commit suicide or not is up for debate. There is a lot of evidence that says otherwise.

Cat

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 9:54 pm

Whether she actually did commit suicide or not is up for debate. There is a lot of evidence that says otherwise.

Cat

Interesting, i never knew there was a conspiracy. Though, it would not surprise me. I think Cobain was murdered by Courtney Love, even Courtney's dad said he wouldn't be surprised.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/11 at 3:19 am

Interesting, i never knew there was a conspiracy. Though, it would not surprise me. I think Cobain was murdered by Courtney Love, even Courtney's dad said he wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not a huge fan of Courtney Love.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/13/14 at 6:36 am

Just yesterday, I was watching the final days of Marilyn Monroe and she did have depression and bi-polar disorder and she had a therapist that helped her before her death. I also think that taking too much of the medications resulted in her mood swings.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/15 at 1:14 pm

She also had night terrors that couldn't help her fall asleep fast enough so maybe that's why she took so many barbiturates. And I think she might have had OCD.  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 03/21/15 at 2:49 am

Marilyn Monroe had bipolar disorder? Explains a lot, the self destruction, the depression, and more.

I don't think there was good medication in general for mental health until the 80s or something.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/15 at 6:57 am

Marilyn Monroe had bipolar disorder? Explains a lot, the self destruction, the depression, and more.

I don't think there was good medication in general for mental health until the 80s or something.

Could be, it wasn't on the market until 20 years later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/15 at 11:43 am

Tonight on television on Channel 5 in the UK, there is program on the last hours of Marilyn Monroe. I will be paying recording and paying attention to this.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/15 at 2:37 pm

Tonight on television on Channel 5 in the UK, there is program on the last hours of Marilyn Monroe. I will be paying recording and paying attention to this.

Will it be posted to YouTube afterwards? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/15 at 5:17 pm

Program recorded, may watch it tomorrow, but a family viewing will be at this weekend.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/15 at 9:17 am

I will post an opinion when we have all viewed it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/15 at 9:25 am

In the mean time there is a documentary on YouTube...

Marilyn Monroe - The Final Days

3gE1GC3IPIw

Written By: Howard on 05/14/15 at 3:08 pm

In the mean time there is a documentary on YouTube...

Marilyn Monroe - The Final Days

3gE1GC3IPIw

I believe I have this in my favorites.  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/15 at 12:44 pm

I will post an opinion when we have all viewed it.
The viewed the autopsy program last night, the final was result is that she was taking two conflicting drugs (the name I cannot remember) and one drug to help her sleep and another to keep her awake, and the two drugs would make her forget she has taken the other, so technically she overdosed. There was no sign of suicide, she was happy on the phone to her son-in-law, and had just signed a new film contract.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/15 at 1:23 pm

The viewed the autopsy program last night, the final was result is that she was taking two conflicting drugs (the name I cannot remember) and one drug to help her sleep and another to keep her awake, and the two drugs would make her forget she has taken the other, so technically she overdosed. There was no sign of suicide, she was happy on the phone to her son-in-law, and had just signed a new film contract.

Why would you take both, one to help you go to sleep and one to keep you awake? What did she want to do? keep herself up or get a good night's sleep?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/15 at 1:29 pm

Why would you take both, one to help you go to sleep and one to keep you awake? What did she want to do? keep herself up or get a good night's sleep?  ???
She was in a confused state of mind.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/15 at 2:22 pm

She was in a confused state of mind.

That's understandable.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/15 at 10:03 am

She's basically the epitome of Hollywood glamour.

http://www.thisismarilyn.com/artwork/macky101-2009122343540-Polka_dots_and_Coke_0-original.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/13/15 at 2:21 pm

She's basically the epitome of Hollywood glamour.

http://www.thisismarilyn.com/artwork/macky101-2009122343540-Polka_dots_and_Coke_0-original.jpg

Her mental illness probably included that she wanted and needed to stay beautiful all her life, She was so fixated on herself.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/13/15 at 7:15 pm

Her mental illness probably included that she wanted and needed to stay beautiful all her life, She was so fixated on herself.

Hey, if I was a woman, and looked like her, I would be fixated on myself too!  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/14/15 at 2:12 pm

Hey, if I was a woman, and looked like her, I would be fixated on myself too!  :D

She was trying to stay beautiful into her older age.

Check for new replies or respond here...