inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unexpected lines in pre-1970 TV shows

Written By: snozberries on 03/27/10 at 11:52 pm

A while back I posted somewhere a line I heard in an ep of I Love Lucy.  It was the Fan Magazine Interview Ep.  Lucy went door to door pretending to be a reporter asking questions... one woman asked Lucy "Say your name wouldn't be Kinsey would it?"  alluding to the Kinsey report that was a study on American sexual activities in the 50s. 

anyway- today I was watching an ep of The Andy Griffith Show. (Barney Mends a Broken Heart) Barney tries to set Andy up with a girl after he has a fight with the County Nurse Peggy.  Barney and Thelma Lou bring over Lydia.  Barney nervously tells Andy that he and Lydia both love the outdoors...  Lydia responds...

"I hate the outdoors. When I go out in the sun I get herpes."  ;D 

Subject: Re: Unexpected lines in pre-1970 TV shows

Written By: Frank on 03/28/10 at 12:34 am

There's always the Flintstones theme song "We'll Have a Gay Old Time."

Although the meaning of the word meant a different thing back then.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/10 at 1:54 am

There's always the Flintstones theme song "We'll Have a Gay Old Time."

Although the meaning of the word meant a different thing back then.

yeah...gay meaning happy.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/28/10 at 3:02 pm

Once I was watching an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies where the Clampetts had somehow acquired a hippopotamus, and due to their usual rubish misunderstanding of the outside world they thought they had gotten hold of a really large pig and were eagerly looking forward to butchering it.

Jethro and Granny went to the bank to meet with Mr. Drysdale and Miss Hathaway and took down orders for the cuts of meat that they were going to get after butchering the "giant boar hog."

As they were getting ready to leave Jethro remarked, "Boy, oh boy! I can't wait to get home and start smoking that meat!"

Granny smacked Jethro in the arm and said in her usual cantankerous tone, "I'll smoke YOUR meat!"  :o :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/10 at 3:15 pm

Once I was watching an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies where the Clampetts had somehow acquired a hippopotamus, and due to their usual rubish misunderstanding of the outside world they thought they had gotten hold of a really large pig and were eagerly looking forward to butchering it.

Jethro and Granny went to the bank to meet with Mr. Drysdale and Miss Hathaway and took down orders for the cuts of meat that they were going to get after butchering the "giant boar hog."

As they were getting ready to leave Jethro remarked, "Boy, oh boy! I can't wait to get home and start smoking that meat!"

Granny smacked Jethro in the arm and said in her usual cantankerous tone, "I'll smoke YOUR meat!"  :o :o :o

nice!  ;D 

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/10 at 7:14 pm

so this one's not a line so much as a title from Andy griffith...

there's an ep called "Floyd the Gay Deceiver"  in this ep Howard corresponds with a woman and pretends to be wealthy- when she comes to town Andy helps Floyd fake his status and then, ultimately, he uncovers the fact that she is a gold digging con woman.

anyway- the character of Floyd reads homosexual.... there's another quote from an ep I will post here- soon as I remember what that ep is... anyway- so I started thinking the title of the ep is tongue in cheek... Floyd, the gay deceiver, corresponds and tries to have a relationship with a woman.....  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/10 at 11:32 pm

"That oughta hold the little bastards!"

--Uncle Don, CBS kids shows.

Don thought his mike was dead, so he uttered the famous words over a live mike when he thought they'd cut to commercial. 

This, of course, was attributed to a dozen Uncle Somebodys who did kids shows in local markets.  I think they said it about Bozo the Clown too.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sheep.gif

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/11/10 at 4:03 am

"That oughta hold the little bastards!"

--Uncle Don, CBS kids shows.

Don thought his mike was dead, so he uttered the famous words over a live mike when he thought they'd cut to commercial. 

This, of course, was attributed to a dozen Uncle Somebody's who did kids shows in local markets.  I think they said it about Bozo the Clown too.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sheep.gif

So thats what that was from. I remember the The Simpson's "Gabbo" episode where the dummy Gabbo says "That oughta hold the little bastards!" and then Simpson's newsman, Kent Brockman, reporting on the incident, does the same thing...

My favorite, unintentionally funny and unexpected line is from Dragnet's "Juvenile: The Little Pusher" episode.
After Friday gives a lecture to teachers on the evils of pills and the demon weed, Bill Gannon lights a pellet intended to approximate the smell of burning marijuana.

Teacher: "So thats what pot smells like."
Gannon (quickly & almost gleefully): "I can guarantee it!"  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...