inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best song about a missing phone number...

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/05/10 at 9:55 pm

Johnny Rivers, "Memphis"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKQgnT_fTY

Jim Croce, "Operator"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2iS8XctJKo

Subject: Re: Best song about a missing phone number...

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/10 at 9:23 am

I know it's the wrong decade and stuff....but I'm going with New Edition's Mr. Telephone Man  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdxdr9pNnw

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/10 at 10:28 pm

"Memphis"

On related subject matter:

Kraftwerk: The Telephone
Pete Shelley: Telephone Operator
Frank Zappa: Telephone Conversation
Yazoo: A after E except before C

Special mention:
Liam O'Gallagher: Border Dissolve in Audiospace

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/arts/05gallagher.html

In some circles, he is probably best known for sound art that combined performance, chance and technology to create surreal, sometimes funny works like “Border Dissolve in Audiospace” from 1970, a fuzzy, echoing recording in which directory operators are called and asked to look up various numbers.

“I wanted the phone number of the city zoo,” Mr. O’Gallagher asks dryly.

“The city jail?” the operator responds, in a high, officious voice.

“No, the city zoo, operator.”

Written By: slacker on 07/09/10 at 5:49 pm

I got a name... and it's Jim Croce
Operator

Written By: hot_wax on 07/12/10 at 8:02 pm

Beachwood 45789

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/13/10 at 1:45 am

Beachwood 45789

Well, if you're going to use those kinds of phone numbers...

Allan Sherman, Let's All Call Up AT&T and Protest to the President March

...back in 1963, people actually got mad at the change to all-digit dialing.  Phreaky :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 10:42 pm

Well, if you're going to use those kinds of phone numbers...

Allan Sherman, Let's All Call Up AT&T and Protest to the President March

...back in 1963, people actually got mad at the change to all-digit dialing.  Phreaky :)

I can see a niche market for rotary phones.  You would require a digital/analogue interface, but that's no problem to set up.  Otherwise, they'll be for people who collect old gaslights and stuff!
;D

The rotary telephone was one technology I did not see why people were not eager to give up. Rotary was familiar.  That's what they knew.  My parents didn't have any love for rotary.  We always had keypad phones at our house.  So you're at a friend's house and you say, "Hey, can I use your phone?"
"Sure, go ahead."
"Oh, god, it's one of THESE."
Six
clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click.
Seven
clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickey-click.
Three
clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click...

"Hell with it.  I'll just write them a letter!"

So, yeah, it would be a niche market but you'd have the nostalgia people and -- if you did some marketing -- the college sophisticated f**ks.  "Let's rebel against the fascist digital aged, dude!"
"All right! How to?"
clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry3.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/20/10 at 10:04 pm

I can see a niche market for rotary phones.  You would require a digital/analogue interface, but that's no problem to set up.  Otherwise, they'll be for people who collect old gaslights and stuff!

If you have a land line, pulse dialing still works.  (If you don't have a rotary phone, you can pulse-dial by rapidly pressing the handset switch on any land line phone.  Tricky to do it accurately, but easily learned, not that there's any use for the skill beyond getting a knowing grin from phellow fone phreaks.)

More conveniently, it's a pretty easy hack to attach a rotary phone's headset to a modern cell phone.  It's almost steampunky in its primitiveness.

Or you can get fancy, and put the cell phone into the rotary phone, so that you can make wirless calls using a rotary dial.  A rotary-dial phone that doesn't plug into anything, but actually works.  (You'd need one more minor hack involving running a couple of wires from the cell phone's vibrator-motor, and a slightly larger battery, to drive the original rotary phone's ringer, but that's a lot easier than turning the pulse dials into keypad presses.)

(Why yes, I am a telco nerd.  Why do you ask?)

Check for new replies or respond here...