inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why was the 30's considered the golden age of movies?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/10 at 6:35 am

I've seen some great films from this decade, but I wanna know why specifically the 30's is known as the golden age of movies?

Subject: Re: Why was the 30's considered the golden age of movies?

Written By: Brigitte on 11/20/10 at 12:52 pm

I think it's because it was the end of the silent era and the small studios became huge company's, making hundreds of pictures a year. It is also when the actors became "movie stars" and a nickleodeon became a movie palace.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 12:53 pm

It was the dawn of a new era, sound had just been added to films and colour was being introduced.

The medium of cinema then (and has been in other decades) was an escape for the reality of depressive life.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/20/10 at 8:00 pm

Can you all imagine how 'new' and insanely shocking (in a good way of course) it was to hear sound in a movie for the first time? I'd be excited too of course.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/06/10 at 10:01 am

Two words: Vitaphone and Technicolor.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/10 at 9:34 pm

George Orwell in a passing comment in his novel "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" (1936) called the movies, "The right drug for friendless people."  As Orwell observed, viewers developed illusory relationships with the stars on the sliver screen.  Woody Allen plays on this Depression-era phenomenon in his 1985 film, "The Purple Rose of Cairo."
8)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/11 at 11:37 pm

George Orwell in a passing comment in his novel "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" (1936) called the movies, "The right drug for friendless people."  As Orwell observed, viewers developed illusory relationships with the stars on the sliver screen.  Woody Allen plays on this Depression-era phenomenon in his 1985 film, "The Purple Rose of Cairo."
8)

I remember watching The Wizard of Oz for the first time and imagining that the lion was my friend; I later found out what lions do to humans on the Discovery Channel!   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jesse4.gif

Written By: Revolutions on 02/04/11 at 3:47 pm

i think it's because of the novelty of it. i wouldnt really say the films were actually better, today's audiences wouldn't be able to relate to them quite as well. (i like some old movies but i find anything made before the 70s seems too old for my comfort/relation)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/11 at 7:48 pm

i think it's because of the novelty of it. i wouldnt really say the films were actually better, today's audiences wouldn't be able to relate to them quite as well. (i like some old movies but i find anything made before the 70s seems too old for my comfort/relation)

It depends for me. There are some movies in the 30s that were/are still hilarious and I definitely like it. But there are some movies in the 30s or old movies in general that are a bit too boring and slow for me to like.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/15/11 at 3:19 am

king kong was made :p

Check for new replies or respond here...