inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It almost feels like 1950 again

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/20/10 at 9:31 am

Think of some of the current events:

-North and South Korea on the brink of a war (most obvious)
-Doris Day paper dolls are coming out and is still speaking
-Betty White still popular
-South Pacific (a good revival) is returning as a musical
-Red China is scaring some Americans a bit
-Nuclear energy is popular again
-The round, curvy cars, while much newer, are the first time cars have been consistantly curvy since the 1950s
-Democratic president

Weird, you listen to the first verse of "We Didn't Start The Fire" and it doesn't feel much different from today. Of course the music doesn't match; in 1950 slow ballads predominated pop music, and if this keeps up ballads may become cool again once this musical trend passes. 3D movies started in 1952 and are back again; all-new forms of televsion (like television itself at the time), like Apple TV, Google TV, and 3D TV try to make another round of "first one on the block" viable.

Subject: Re: It almost feels like 1950 again

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/10 at 11:10 pm

Actually, it feels more like the 1930's with the economy we're in right now.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/10 at 7:06 pm

Think of some of the current events:

-Democratic president

Truman was only pres for the first 3 years of the decade, Eisenhower (who was a Republican) was pres for the rest of the decade.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 2:41 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DuC0tE7V4&feature=related

Written By: bchris02 on 04/09/11 at 1:24 pm

Actually, it feels more like the 1930's with the economy we're in right now.  ::)

Agreed.  Our period now is much more similar to the 1930s than the 1950s. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/11 at 1:36 pm

Agreed.  Our period now is much more similar to the 1930s than the 1950s. 
Has Prohibition been taken into account here?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 4:25 pm

Has Prohibition been taken into account here?

The closest thing that I have in mind is that we're thinking about legalizing marijuana!  ;D

But you can't compare because it's decadeology.  :(

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 9:56 am

after Japan, so much for a nuclear energy revival.  ::)

Written By: Henk on 04/11/11 at 5:37 am

I feel only those that have actually LIVED the 1950's (or 1930's) are entitled to compare the two decades. That's why I refrain from comment.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/11 at 12:29 pm

The closest thing that I have in mind is that we're thinking about legalizing marijuana!  ;D

But you can't compare because it's decadeology.  :(

Actually, you can compare because that is NOT decadeology. Prohibition of alcohol & marijuana are ISSUES and it has nothing to do with comparing two different years. 

Actually, I think the topic would be a great discussion and there are a number of sections on the board it could go: Political, TTT, 2010s, More than a decade, etc. So, go start the thread.  :)

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 04/13/11 at 2:33 pm

Actually, you can compare because that is NOT decadeology. Prohibition of alcohol & marijuana are ISSUES and it has nothing to do with comparing two different years. 

Actually, I think the topic would be a great discussion and there are a number of sections on the board it could go: Political, TTT, 2010s, More than a decade, etc. So, go start the thread.  :)

Cat

I think I get what you're saying. Decadeology would be me say "Wasn't there more marijuana in the 1930s than in the 2010s?". But since we're talking about 2 different topics, prohibition and marijuana, it isn't decadeology!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/13/11 at 2:34 pm

I feel only those that have actually LIVED the 1950's (or 1930's) are entitled to compare the two decades. That's why I refrain from comment.

I wonder if building a time machine is possible.  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...