inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the year range for Baby Boomers really 1946 to 1964?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/11 at 11:58 pm

I heard in an article that the REAL years for being born as a Baby Boomer was 1940 to 1953 and that the 1946 to 1964 year range was a lie! I can no longer find the article online because it's about 6 years old.

But is this true or was the writer being biased or hateful towards the Boomers?

Subject: Re: Is the year range for Baby Boomers really 1946 to 1964?

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/09/11 at 1:20 am

If I remember correctly, that generation got its name from the explosion of babies being born after American soldiers came back from war in the mid 1940s. The prosperous economy following WW2 also seemed to encourage more babies being born, which lasted throughout the '50s and until the first half of the '60s.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/09/11 at 1:22 am

If I remember correctly, that generation got its name from the explosion of babies being born after American soldiers came back from war in the mid 1940s. The prosperous economy following WW2 also seemed to encourage more babies being born, which lasted throughout the '50s and until the first half of the '60s.

You're so convincing Mat1991, I think the guy who wrote the article might've been a bit biased.

Written By: aussie on 01/17/11 at 3:05 am

I heard in an article that the REAL years for being born as a Baby Boomer was 1940 to 1953 and that the 1946 to 1964 year range was a lie! I can no longer find the article online because it's about 6 years old.

But is this true or was the writer being biased or hateful towards the Boomers?

Hi 80sfan. I was born in 1946, and have always regarded myself as being born in the first year of this generation. I have also thought that it finished in 1964. This is generaly regarded as the time span. There are lots of onfo on the internet about. Check Wikipedia. this one --    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

Its not a bad article. Being one of the earliest baby boomers makes me feel old. I don't feel old !

Take care 80sfan. Cheers.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/18/11 at 11:18 pm

Hi 80sfan. I was born in 1946, and have always regarded myself as being born in the first year of this generation. I have also thought that it finished in 1964. This is generaly regarded as the time span. There are lots of onfo on the internet about. Check Wikipedia. this one --     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

Its not a bad article. Being one of the earliest baby boomers makes me feel old. I don't feel old !

Take care 80sfan. Cheers.

Thank you for your reply.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/30/11 at 7:39 am

Whoever made that article about the baby boomers being 1940-1953 is probably jealous and a hater of baby boomers.  Since the beginning of time, baby boomer has always been 1946-1964.  The older baby boomers (1946-1954) are most likely going to have a childhood in the late 40s to early 60s.  The younger baby boomers aka Generation Jones (1955-1964) are most likely going to have a childhood in the late 50s to early 70s.  The older baby boomers most likely were teenagers in the late 50s to early 70s.  The younger baby boomers/Generation Jones most likely were teenagers in the late 60s to early 80s.  The older baby boomers experienced the hippie flower-child movement, the Black Power movement, the Civil Rights movement, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, John F Kennedy, The Vietnam War, Richard Nixon, Motown, psychedelic music, early soul and funk, the Jerk, the Mashed Potatoes, the Funky Chicken, The Beatles, Elvis Presley in his later years during their teenage years and early 20s.  The younger baby boomers/Generation Jones experienced the progressive rock, Richard Nixon, The Watergate, The Carpenters, funk, soul, disco, easy listening, Jimmy Carter, David Bowie, women's lib, gay rights movement (yuck  8-P), the Disco Demolition Night, punk, early hip-hop, platform shoes, bellbottoms, early new wave, Hall and Oates, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, Kiss, KC and the Sunshine Band, Chic, The Hustle, The Bus Stop, The Bump, Saturday Night Fever during their teenage years and early 20s.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/30/11 at 4:12 pm

Whoever made that article about the baby boomers being 1940-1953 is probably jealous and a hater of baby boomers.  Since the beginning of time, baby boomer has always been 1946-1964.  The older baby boomers (1946-1954) are most likely going to have a childhood in the late 40s to early 60s.  The younger baby boomers aka Generation Jones (1955-1964) are most likely going to have a childhood in the late 50s to early 70s.  The older baby boomers most likely were teenagers in the late 50s to early 70s.  The younger baby boomers/Generation Jones most likely were teenagers in the late 60s to early 80s.  The older baby boomers experienced the hippie flower-child movement, the Black Power movement, the Civil Rights movement, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, John F Kennedy, The Vietnam War, Richard Nixon, Motown, psychedelic music, early soul and funk, the Jerk, the Mashed Potatoes, the Funky Chicken, The Beatles, Elvis Presley in his later years during their teenage years and early 20s.  The younger baby boomers/Generation Jones experienced the progressive rock, Richard Nixon, The Watergate, The Carpenters, funk, soul, disco, easy listening, Jimmy Carter, David Bowie, women's lib, gay rights movement (yuck  8-P), the Disco Demolition Night, punk, early hip-hop, platform shoes, bellbottoms, early new wave, Hall and Oates, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, Kiss, KC and the Sunshine Band, Chic, The Hustle, The Bus Stop, The Bump, Saturday Night Fever during their teenage years and early 20s.

I hate to admit it nicole1977, but you're right, the person who wrote the article was/is a Baby Boom hater! Can you say bias?  ::)

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/30/11 at 5:56 pm

I hate to admit it nicole1977, but you're right, the person who wrote the article was/is a Baby Boom hater! Can you say bias?  ::)

Yup.  It's VERY bias.  The person who created that website is probably some 71-year-old (all 71-year-olds this year are born in 1940) that doesn't want to feel old or feels that he's too young during the World War II, so he want to include himself with Baby Boomers, but the last time I checked, Baby Boomers were born in 1946-1964.  This individual is part of the Silent Generation (1925-1945).  It's just like the younger Boomers/Generation Jones who want to be included with Generation X because they feel that they can't identify with the older Boomers and/or he doesn't want to feel old, so he will include himself with the Generation X. The Silent Generation are 1925-1945 born.  Baby Boomers are 1946-1964 born.  Generation X are 1965-1980 born.  They need to accept the fact that they are not younger anymore and enjoy being in the part of their generation.  I wouldn't want to be included with Gen Y.  Why should I?  I love being a Gen Xer.  I'm grateful for being a part of such a wonderful generation.  It's like nowadays, people just don't want to grow up and realize that their younger days are over.

Even if you are a younger Silent Generationer, you are still a part of it.  Even if you are a younger Baby Boomer or Generation Jones, you are still a part of the Baby Boomer Generation.  Even if you are a younger Generation Xer, you are still Gen X. Be thankful for what you got.

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/30/11 at 9:43 pm

I wouldn't want to be included with Gen Y.  Why should I?  I love being a Gen Xer.  I'm grateful for being a part of such a wonderful generation.  It's like nowadays, people just don't want to grow up and realize that their younger days are over.

Even if you are a younger Silent Generationer, you are still a part of it.  Even if you are a younger Baby Boomer or Generation Jones, you are still a part of the Baby Boomer Generation.  Even if you are a younger Generation Xer, you are still Gen X. Be thankful for what you got.

Totally agree with you about being proud to be a generation x'er! I was born in '76, and I can be considered to be on the XY cusp according to some sources, yet I relate to generation X WAY more than Gen Y. To me the XY cusp pertains to the years from 1980-1982 only. Why should there be an 11-year cusp?

As for the original topic on this thread. Okay, you all seem to agree that it starts in 1946, but can't it be knocked down to 1945. Okay, I'm being a little biased since my dad was born in August of '45, but hey part of the war was over and my mother was born in '47 so he seems more like a Baby Boomer than belong to the Silent Generation like my grandmother (born in '26).

Written By: 80sfan on 01/30/11 at 10:43 pm

Totally agree with you about being proud to be a generation x'er! I was born in '76, and I can be considered to be on the XY cusp according to some sources, yet I relate to generation X WAY more than Gen Y. To me the XY cusp pertains to the years from 1980-1982 only. Why should there be an 11-year cusp?

As for the original topic on this thread. Okay, you all seem to agree that it starts in 1946, but can't it be knocked down to 1945. Okay, I'm being a little biased since my dad was born in August of '45, but hey part of the war was over and my mother was born in '47 so he seems more like a Baby Boomer than belong to the Silent Generation like my grandmother (born in '26).

You were born in '76? Wow, you're not a Yer at all! You are a Xer in my eyes. An X/Y cusp would be from 1978 to 1980 IMO.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/31/11 at 12:44 am

I get what you're saying because a 1945er is only a year from the first-born baby boomer which is 1946, but at the same time, even though he is still towards the baby boomer generation, he's still considered the youngest Silent Generationer or part of the cusp.  Every generation spans from 15 to 20 years, and the later birthyears are the cusps but they are still considered a certain generation.  My father was born in 1951.  He's one of the older baby boomers.  My mother was born in 1955.  She's one of the younger baby boomers.  They are both considered baby boomers nevertheless.    My father's late mother was born in 1925.  My mother's late mother was born in 1929. These two women were the older Silent Generationers no doubt.

Yes, I was born in 1977, and I'm a proud Gen Xer. 

Written By: Revolutions on 02/04/11 at 3:48 pm

i would say so yes. 1946 to 64 is the year range Roosevelt dimes were minted in silver too.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/11 at 5:40 pm

Does it really matter? I have heard it was 1946-1960; 1946-1961; 1946-1962; 1946-1963; and 1946-1964. (1946 was ALWAYS the beginning.) People have always been confused as to what year the Baby Boomer generation ended.

My husband was born in 1946. Yes, his father came home from WWII and he was born shortly after. I was born in the early 60s. (I hate to actually say what year I was actually born in but if you do a little research around the this board, you can figure it out what year exactly.) When I first started dating Carlos, he was trying to tell me that I wasn't a Baby Boomer which I have always thought of myself as one. But when my siblings were born between 1951-1960-they are definitely Baby Boomers and I said to him, "If my siblings are Baby Boomers, doesn't that make me in the same generation at they are?" He said, "Point taken." 

Whether I was born within the years they specify as being Baby Boomer years, I will always identify myself as one. Dates are meaningless.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/11 at 7:46 pm

Does it really matter? I have heard it was 1946-1960; 1946-1961; 1946-1962; 1946-1963; and 1946-1964. (1946 was ALWAYS the beginning.) People have always been confused as to what year the Baby Boomer generation ended.

My husband was born in 1946. Yes, his father came home from WWII and he was born shortly after. I was born in the early 60s. (I hate to actually say what year I was actually born in but if you do a little research around the this board, you can figure it out what year exactly.) When I first started dating Carlos, he was trying to tell me that I wasn't a Baby Boomer which I have always thought of myself as one. But when my siblings were born between 1951-1960-they are definitely Baby Boomers and I said to him, "If my siblings are Baby Boomers, doesn't that make me in the same generation at they are?" He said, "Point taken."   

Whether I was born within the years they specify as being Baby Boomer years, I will always identify myself as one. Dates are meaningless.

Cat

There's no official thing written in stone where it says "You are a boomer" or "You are a Yer" so that's why there will always be a debate.

But I agree with you; at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/08/11 at 4:16 pm

This is my opinion on the whole year-range thing. I'll divide the whole "generation" thing even more.

Baby Boomers(1946-1964)
Baby Boomers: 1946-1954
Generation Jonses: 1955-1964

Generation X(1965-1980)
MTV Generation: 1965-1972
Generation X: 1973-1980

Generation Y(1981-1999)
Generation Y: 1981-1988
Millenial Generation: 1989-1999

Generation Z(2000-20??)
9/11 Generation: 2000-2008
Generation Z: 2009-

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/08/11 at 4:43 pm

This is my opinion on the whole year-range thing. I'll divide the whole "generation" thing even more.

Baby Boomers(1946-1964)
Baby Boomers: 1946-1954
Generation Jonses: 1955-1964

Generation X(1965-1980)
MTV Generation: 1965-1972
Generation X: 1973-1980

Generation Y(1981-1999)
Generation Y: 1981-1988
Millenial Generation: 1989-1999

Generation Z(2000-20??)
9/11 Generation: 2000-2008
Generation Z: 2009-

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Written By: Marmalade Atkins on 02/14/11 at 6:35 am

Just out of interest, why is the Silent Generation called the Silent Generation?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/11 at 9:16 am

Just out of interest, why is the Silent Generation called the Silent Generation?

The term was coined in 1951 by Time Magazine. These are the people who were born between 1925–1945, basically during the Great Depression. Sometimes they are called Depression babies. (Both my parents fall into this category.) They are between the "Greatest Generation" or the "GI Generation" (1901-1924) who served in WWII & the Baby Boomers (the biggest generation.) 

Fewer people were having babies in during the depression-so this generation is relatively small compared to the Baby Boomers. The thing is, this generation doesn't like the term "Silent" because they are/were far from it. Here is a list of some famous "Silent Generationers"

* James Brown
    * Ray Charles
    * Noam Chomsky
    * James Dean
    * Michael Dukakis
    * Clint Eastwood
    * Marvin Gaye
    * Hugh Hefner
    * Jimi Hendrix
    * Jesse Jackson
    * Quincy Jones
    * Robert F. Kennedy
    * B.B. King
    * Martin Luther King, Jr.
    * John McCain
    * Marilyn Monroe
    * Joe Paterno
    * Ron Paul
    * Elvis Presley
    * Little Richard
    * Gloria Steinem
    * Tina Turner
    * Frank Zappa

I don't think any on this list is/was SILENT at all.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 02/14/11 at 11:47 am

The term was coined in 1951 by Time Magazine. These are the people who were born between 1925–1945, basically during the Great Depression. Sometimes they are called Depression babies. (Both my parents fall into this category.) They are between the "Greatest Generation" or the "GI Generation" (1901-1924) who served in WWII & the Baby Boomers (the biggest generation.) 

Fewer people were having babies in during the depression-so this generation is relatively small compared to the Baby Boomers. The thing is, this generation doesn't like the term "Silent" because they are/were far from it. Here is a list of some famous "Silent Generationers"

* James Brown
    * Ray Charles
    * Noam Chomsky
    * James Dean
    * Michael Dukakis
    * Clint Eastwood
    * Marvin Gaye
    * Hugh Hefner
    * Jimi Hendrix
    * Jesse Jackson
    * Quincy Jones
    * Robert F. Kennedy
    * B.B. King
    * Martin Luther King, Jr.
    * John McCain
    * Marilyn Monroe
    * Joe Paterno
    * Ron Paul
    * Elvis Presley
    * Little Richard
    * Gloria Steinem
    * Tina Turner
    * Frank Zappa

I don't think any on this list is/was SILENT at all.

Cat

Man, those are some BIG names!!

Written By: Marmalade Atkins on 02/14/11 at 12:06 pm

I guess Time called them "Silent" because most of them have no war stories to tell - they were too young for WWII and too old for Korea and Vietnam

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/11 at 3:28 pm

I guess Time called them "Silent" because most of them have no war stories to tell - they were too young for WWII and too old for Korea and Vietnam

They wouldn't be too old for Korea. Korea was 1950-1953. The age range would have been 5-25 at the beginning of the war. Some would definitely have been too young but others were the right age to be drafted (and yes, there was a draft at that time).

Cat

Written By: Brian06 on 02/16/11 at 12:38 am

For Gen Y: If you're born in the 21st century you're definitely NOT a member of gen y, today's teens under 18 are on the cusp, the oldest Gen Yers are entering their 30s now imo and were early in college at the turn of the millennium. Gen X were mostly born during the social change of the '60s and '70s, Gen X to me is especially focused on people that are now mid 30s to mid 40s. Baby Boomers is pretty set at 1946-1964, the CORE baby boomer demographic today is definitely the 55-65 year olds. Silent generation would make up the vast majority of today's senior citizens (65+). Some of the cusps are imo today's under 18 teens (y-z), early 30s (x-y), late 40s (boomer - x).

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:00 am

In terms of demographics, indisputably, YES.

Now in terns of culture, some might argue the true Boom generation began in 1940 (the age of John Lennon) and ended before 1960. Though, I tend to find early-60s born, while too young to be hippies etc, love the Beatles and overall have more in common with Boomers than Xers (including siblings).

People who say the Boom ended in 1953 are basically of the mind that if you weren't old enough for Woodstock, you are Generation X. which of course, is ridiculous.

Check for new replies or respond here...