inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Midcentury Modern" seems to be the new name for nostalgia for the Post-WWII era

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/23/11 at 8:22 am

In a way, I think this trend parallels the Art Deco revival of 25-30 years ago along with the "secondary swing era" revival of 10-15 years ago in which the yuppies enjoyed, and now it's being passed onwards here, and this link provides a good description. It's more into the fashion/decor/arts.

It seems like I feel that around 45-60 years after a certain time peiod has passed, a "secondary nostalgia period" occurs, not the "35-45" as it wouldn't quite be the "grandfather's nostalgia" generation yet. People maybe starting to turn back on the oldies stations/watching black and white TV soon?

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/116673744.html

Subject: Re: "Midcentury Modern" seems to be the new name for nostalgia for the Post-WWII era

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/25/11 at 2:22 am

I would love for fashion to take a more classic approach as well, drawing from the midcentury look for inspiration.  :)

Subject: Re: "Midcentury Modern" seems to be the new name for nostalgia for the Post-WWII era

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/25/11 at 3:39 am

I LOVE when a guy wears a hat, (I guess it's a Fedora-type hat?)  Makes them quite yummy.  I like when guys get dressed up.

I love the hairstyles of the 40s women (although I have no real talent in fixing my hair, I wouldn't mind wear that style once in awhile.)  Looks very classy.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 9:55 am

i personally would consider 'midcentury' to begin in 1946 and end around 1975. what about you?

that's not the exact middle of the 20th century, but it is the middle of the century in the sense that the early century is defined by the two world wars, and the late 1970s are probably a bit too modern to be midcentury.

Check for new replies or respond here...