inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: looking for a japanese/chinese movie

Written By: carleen45 on 07/09/11 at 9:38 am

hi everybody,
i'm a first time poster

i'm looking for either a chinese or japanese movie. i'm almost certain that it's in b&w...and it's probably from the 50's or 60's.

the scenes i can remember are of an asian mother and adult (or possibly teenage) son who are walking through a desolate area, like it's been bombed out. the whole movie had a very creepy feel to it.

there is a warning out that there are white globs on the ground that should be avoided, and not touched. they actually show the white globs in the grass. the gooey globs are about the size of fluffy pancakes.  :) i don't remember if the mother or the son touch them or not, yet i think one of them did. but toward the end of the movie the son (and possibly the mother) jump off an enormous black cliff into the ocean to commit suicide. i'm almost thinking that they may have been driven insane by touching the white globs.

i know this is such a bizarre sounding thing, but me and my sister remember watching it on tv, although by the looks of it, it was probably originally shown in theaters. i'm also thinking that it was a B movie.

i'd love to find out the title of this flick....thank you.

Subject: Re: looking for a japanese/chinese movie

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/11 at 9:39 am

Can it be a Akira Kurosawa film?

Written By: carleen45 on 07/09/11 at 10:04 am

hi philip, thanks for replying.
it's possible it could be, but this movie seemed more like a B movie to me. i just wish i could remember more details about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/11 at 10:06 am

No problem.

Check out the list of Akira Kurosawa films here

Written By: carleen45 on 07/09/11 at 10:09 am

i'm going to check them out right now.

thanks so much!  :)

Written By: carleen45 on 07/09/11 at 10:47 am

quite the interesting group of movies, but the one i'm looking for was not there.  :(

the mother and son in the movie appear to be peasants or refugees of some sort. the mother wears a dark colored peasant style dress with a big bottom skirt, and she's possibly wearing a kerchief on her head. the area that they are walking through is quite desolate, with only grassy weeds and sparse shrubbery, and that's where the white globs are. the roads are just dirt roads.
i remember the 'jumping off the cliff scene' as the two of them committing suicide. and i remember seeing the bodies going off the cliff. i remember that the 'bodies' were clearly dummies as they plummeted down to the ocean.

and that's pretty much all i have.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 07/09/11 at 6:24 pm

Ring?  (RINGU)

Written By: carleen45 on 07/09/11 at 7:07 pm

thanks danoota, but i checked out all the 'ring' and 'ringu' movies and they were made too late. mine would have been from the 50's or 60's. but thanks so much for the reply.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/09/11 at 7:27 pm

Woman in the Dunes?

Written By: carleen45 on 07/09/11 at 8:16 pm

i just looked this one up and i thought at first that it might be the right one, but sadly as i read the description...it wasn't.

i do so appreciate you trying to help solve this for me....so, thank you.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/11/11 at 11:10 pm

i'm looking for either a chinese or japanese movie. i'm almost certain that it's in b&w...and it's probably from the 50's or 60's.

the scenes i can remember are of an asian mother and adult (or possibly teenage) son who are walking through a desolate area, like it's been bombed out. the whole movie had a very creepy feel to it.

there is a warning out that there are white globs on the ground that should be avoided, and not touched. they actually show the white globs in the grass.

Just went through a bunch of Wikipedia/IMDB entries on Japanese films of the 50s (but not the 60s, so you've still got hope!) films.  I came back pretty much empty (because Wikipedia's deletionists wiped out a lot of articles, because IMDB's Japanese coverage is sparse, and because I can't read Japanese).  My knowledge of Asian cinema is pretty weak, but I'd bet money that this was Japanese, not Chinese, being a film whose central plot elements ("no adult males in the population", "walking through wastelands" and "things on the ground can kill you") sound like the sorts of Hiroshima/Nagasaki plot elements that would be inspired by postwar Japan, vs. postwar China.

Written By: carleen45 on 07/13/11 at 10:06 am

thank you so very much foo, for all your research and work. i really appreciate it.  :)

yes, the more i think about it i'm leaning towards it being japanese too.
i just wish i could remember anything else about it...possibly another scene or something, but i just can't.

again, thanks so much for your reply!

Check for new replies or respond here...