inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woodstock... It's 42d Anniversary

Written By: hot_wax on 08/16/11 at 1:41 am

I just want to mention the anniversary of the Woodstock Concert, then billed as only a free musical concert that today, because of it's social impact,  is revered as the concert that sprouted the roots that united the social gaps in America when America was in deep turmoil with it's goverment and it's people. A lot changes in our social ideas and attitudes came from this Woodstock event that molded our way of life in America today. Woodstock's message was "Peace and Love to one another " and I think the message worked because if you were around at that time in America when it was in social and political turmoil in the 60's things started to change for the better quickly in the 70's. So "Happy 42d Anniversary Woodstock" your message lives on!

Subject: Re: Woodstock... It's 42d Anniversary

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/11 at 11:08 am

I just want to mention the anniversary of the Woodstock Concert, then billed as only a free musical concert that today, because of it's social impact,  is revered as the concert that sprouted the roots that united the social gaps in America when America was in deep turmoil with it's goverment and it's people. A lot changes in our social ideas and attitudes came from this Woodstock event that molded our way of life in America today. Woodstock's message was "Peace and Love to one another " and I think the message worked because if you were around at that time in America when it was in social and political turmoil in the 60's things started to change for the better quickly in the 70's. So "Happy 42d Anniversary Woodstock" your message lives on!

I remember when they TRIED to recapture that same spirit in 1999 in Saugerties.  ::)  I knew someone who was working at that event and it just wasn't the same. I also saw clips on MTV with the "mud people." They were taking people and just tossing them into the mud. When they were asked why they did that, one answer was, "So everyone can be like us." WTF?? I always thought the theme of Woodstock was "Free to be, You & Me" NOT conformity.

BTW, Welcome Back-sort of. Don't know what happened to your account but I'm glad you rejoined. I am pleased to give you your first karma in this incarnation.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 08/17/11 at 12:17 am

hi Cat, It's good to be back, only I didn't know I ever left the 00's...wtf? Anyway!! I never got to go to Woodstock, I was a newly wed and my wife didn't go for the idea so much, but I still have some cool memories of the Friday night before, and stories afterwards, I think I mention them in a post a couple years ago in a posting about Woodstock.

It could have been billed with the theme you mentioned "Free to be me..." maybe when it was first being promoted and sold tickets to the concert months before they made it a free concert later, but I don't really know, all I know is that everyone came back with the mind set of "Peace and Love" and hell of a lot of stories of what a great time they had and saying change is on the horizon and things started to change.

It's always a pleasure to talk to you Cat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/11 at 12:01 pm

hi Cat, It's good to be back, only I didn't know I ever left the 00's...wtf? Anyway!! I never got to go to Woodstock, I was a newly wed and my wife didn't go for the idea so much, but I still have some cool memories of the Friday night before, and stories afterwards, I think I mention them in a post a couple years ago in a posting about Woodstock.

It could have been billed with the theme you mentioned "Free to be me..." maybe when it was first being promoted and sold tickets to the concert months before they made it a free concert later, but I don't really know, all I know is that everyone came back with the mind set of "Peace and Love" and hell of a lot of stories of what a great time they had and saying change is on the horizon and things started to change.

It's always a pleasure to talk to you Cat.

What I heard, they sold tickets but then they were overwhelmed by the amount of people who showed up. There were some people who broke down a fence and just came in. To accommodate the masses, they decided to just make it free.

I, too was not there, even though I lived a little more than an hour or 2 away. I was just a kid and didn't know about it until a few years later when my sister used to play the album ALL THE TIME! (I know most of the music that was played that weekend thanks to Sis.  ;D ;D ;D )

Many years later, I was in a play at Woodstock (THE Woodstock, NY-NOT where the concert was). I find it interesting that the town that turned down holding the concert back in 1969, basically cashed in on it-not in an overt manner but very subtle. If you ever go to Woodstock, NY, you will see what I mean. 

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/11 at 9:31 pm

Woodstock happened at the right place, the right time, and with enough of the right people. Can it happen again? Yes, but it has to be the right time and it's the kind of thing that happens once every millenium or something, LOL. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/11 at 6:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_Woodstock

Taking Woodstock is a great movie about how they put the festival together. 

My parents didn't go.  Their friends tried to go but gave up on the NY Throughway. :)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/11/11 at 8:27 pm

To Glenn Beck, you chose either between watching the Moon Landing (which made you a decent American), or you went to Woodstock (which made you an anti-American Hippie Mud sex person). He says Woodstock/Moonlanding and the Summer of 1969 is where the cultural divide in our country began.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/11 at 9:04 pm

I was there.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/12/11 at 4:19 pm

I was there.   :)

Way cool!

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 10/14/11 at 9:12 pm

I was there.   :)

Danoota&Me, I feel a connection to you now.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/15/11 at 6:21 am

Danoota&Me, I feel a connection to you now.

The cosmic void shrinks  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 7:24 am

Just yesterday I was watching the rest of The 47th anniversary of Woodstock on YouTube and boy what an interesting trip that was to experience something so magical and hearing music and just having fun for 3 days. Some things in 1969 which cannot be copied today in 2016 cause we're living in this PC world such as doing LCD and doing acid trips, stripping down to your skivvies, jumping into a lake to keep cool and a lot of protesting going on. Whoever lived this experience, please discuss this moment in time.

https://skinbackalley.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/woodstock-1969.jpg

http://clickamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/woodstock-1969-flower-power-bus.jpg

http://rs55.pbsrc.com/albums/g144/hrstumpde/Soundtrack/2010%20Posts/2010%20July/Woodstock/woodstock.jpg~c200

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 9:44 am

I can't believe that it's gonna be nearly 50 years since the 1969 Woodstock festival.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 1:39 pm

I can't believe that it's gonna be nearly 50 years since the 1969 Woodstock festival.

Do you have parents that experienced this? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/19/16 at 5:44 pm

Do you have parents that experienced this? ???

Not really. My dad was only 11 when the '69 festival, while my mom was only 6. I don't know about my grandparents (especially my mom's parents), who were kinda interested into Woodstock. Although, I think they went to take care of my mother and uncle at the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 11:19 pm

Is Martin Scorsese's "Woodstock" (1970) still available to watch?

Written By: Howard on 08/22/16 at 2:30 pm

Is Martin Scorsese's "Woodstock" (1970) still available to watch?

Yes it is.

Check for new replies or respond here...