inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Baby names popular before the 1970s that you would like to see a comeback

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/20/11 at 6:19 am

Names that once sounded fresh and hip, such as "Ralph" and "Linda" and "Fred", are starting to be associated with older people, and that can leave a bad taste among new parents naming their children. But over time, these names will eventually fade into history. So, which Baby Boomer and older names would you like to see a revival of?

Subject: Re: Baby names popular before the 1970s that you would like to see a comeback

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/20/11 at 9:30 am

I like the names Henry and Charlotte.

Subject: Re: Baby names popular before the 1970s that you would like to see a comeback

Written By: King Tut on 09/20/11 at 2:48 pm

Charlotte, nice name.
Clarence, Beverly. Marjorie, Dorothy, Benjamin, Raymond.

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/20/11 at 8:43 pm

Well, I'm not a Baby Boomer but I think "Elizabeth" should make a comeback as a popular baby girl name. It isn't my favorite name to me it just sounds so sophisticated.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/11 at 11:17 pm

According to this website:

http://nameberry.com/blog/baby-names-2010-top-100-girls-names

Charlotte is number 1 this year and Elizabeth is number 5.

Elizabeth has remained constantly popular in the U.S.  Charlotte is one of my favorite names and I'm glad to see it's coming back.

Names I like for girls:

Philomena (Greek: a. Powerful love; b. Nightingale) (popular among Latins)
Marisol (Latin: Mary alone) (again, popular among Latins)
Mary (Latin: Star of the Sea; Blessed Virgin Mary; I like it straight up, no prefixes or suffixes.  Once most common, less popular since the 1960s)
Vivian (Latin: Lively)
Penelope (Greek: Weaver, wife of Odysseus)
Carrie (German: Free man; diminutive of Caroline)
Sophia (Greek: Wisdom)
Oriel (French: (Golden, worthy)
Folashade (African: Honored with a crown)
Daphne (Greek: Laurel tree)

For Boys

Leo
Max
Noah
Victor
Joseph
August
Felix (again, popular with Latins)
George (people should start naming their sons George again)
Wendell (won't help you in the schoolyard, will help you in your career as a great lawyer)
Cornelius
Rocco (Nobody messes with Rocco; he has to protect Wendell and Cornelius!)

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/21/11 at 10:16 am

Charlotte was my grandmother's name and my niece's middle name.

Elizabeth is my daughter's middle name.

I do know a little boy named Rocco, he is the sweetest boy and the name does not fit him.  I think of tough Italian guys when I hear the name Rocco.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/28/11 at 10:13 pm

Charlotte was my grandmother's name and my niece's middle name.

Elizabeth is my daughter's middle name.

I do know a little boy named Rocco, he is the sweetest boy and the name does not fit him.  I think of tough Italian guys when I hear the name Rocco.

My grand daughter's middle name is Elizabeth also.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/30/11 at 11:06 pm

I adore the name Mina (even though I'm not sure if it ever was hugely popular). If I ever have a daughter (which I doubt, because I'm convinced that I'm never going to have children), then I would name her Mina. It has a classic, sophisticated feel to it, and I like how it's unique without being trendy or "out there."

Other dated girls' names that I really like are Lydia, Judith, Lucinda, Viola, Georgette/Georgina, Theresa, and many others that I can't think of at this moment.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/11 at 5:32 am

Esther is such a pretty name, you never  hear of an Esther.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/01/11 at 12:00 pm

Esther is such a pretty name, you never  hear of an Esther.

Strange as it may sound, when I graduated high school in 1980 I graduated with an Esther. Also an Edith, 2 Doris's and 2 Dorothy's.

I was always partial to Edith, I wanted to name my daughter Edith Marie but was overruled by everyone in my family.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/11 at 2:19 pm

My grand daughter's middle name is Elizabeth also.

Granddaughter #1's middle name is also Elizabeth.

Cat

Written By: Zeb on 10/13/11 at 7:45 pm

Mary (Latin: Star of the Sea; Blessed Virgin Mary; I like it straight up, no prefixes or suffixes.  Once most common, less popular since the 1960s)

Yeah, Max, I've only met one girl my age (mid to late 20s) named
Mary.  Diane/Diana is another one of those names you didn't see prevailing amungst young women after the sixties.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/11 at 11:59 am

Dick.    ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/11 at 5:37 pm

Dick.    ;D

That's my dad's name.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/16/11 at 12:59 am

I always liked Celeste and Anastasia, and liked my grandmother's names Flora Sophia and Mina Jane  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/11 at 6:13 am

I met a "Vera" the other day.  My grandmother was a Vera and this woman was the only other Vera I had ever met.  If I had had a daughter she was going to be Vera Rose...but..

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/16/11 at 11:24 am

I adore the name Mina (even though I'm not sure if it ever was hugely popular). If I ever have a daughter (which I doubt, because I'm convinced that I'm never going to have children), then I would name her Mina. It has a classic, sophisticated feel to it, and I like how it's unique without being trendy or "out there."

Other dated girls' names that I really like are Lydia, Judith, Lucinda, Viola, Georgette/Georgina, Theresa, and many others that I can't think of at this moment.

I always liked Celeste and Anastasia, and liked my grandmother's names Flora Sophia and Mina Jane  :)

How would you pronounce Mina?

Like Me-nah or Mine-ah

I knew a woman growing up named Nina (pronounced Ne-nah) but a few years ago I met a woman who spelled her name Nina but prounced it Nine-ah.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/11 at 4:49 pm

Like Me-nah or Mine-ah

I knew a woman growing up named Nina (pronounced Ne-nah) but a few years ago I met a woman who spelled her name Nina but prounced it Nine-ah.

I've known a couple of Mina's and they pronounced it with a short I...Min-ah

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/16/11 at 9:29 pm

Like Me-nah or Mine-ah

My grandmother pronounced it My - na.

But I think there was a Mina character in Bram Stoker's Dracula that pronounced Min (Minnow) - A

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/17/11 at 2:49 pm

I know someone everyone calls her Mina, it isn't her real name though but a shortened version of it. They pronounce it Meena I don't know why. I say Mina with the "i" as in "it".

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/31/11 at 2:09 pm

Like Me-nah or Mine-ah

I would pronounce it me-nah. That's how it was pronounced in the 1931 film adaptation of Dracula; plus, the other pronounciations don't do anything for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/11 at 6:05 pm

I met a "Vera" the other day.  My grandmother was a Vera and this woman was the only other Vera I had ever met.  If I had had a daughter she was going to be Vera Rose...but..

I knew a Vera a long time ago.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 01/03/12 at 2:38 pm

Lillian

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/04/12 at 11:12 am

Heidi.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/04/12 at 1:18 pm

Clara, Opal, Jane, Daphne for girls.

For boys I like George, Henry, and Dirk.

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/26/12 at 9:42 pm

Hmmm. I don't necessarily want to see these names make a comeback but they are certainly not popular these days: Edgar, Edwin, Kermit and Calvin. I can't think of any girls' names at the moment.

Written By: goodsally on 03/02/12 at 10:33 pm

I'm not sure I'd like to see a resurgance of it, but Gertrude is a name you don't hear much today.

Written By: crabitha on 06/18/12 at 10:34 pm

For girls I like the names  Sylvia, Scarlet, Laura, Lydia , Bethany, and Beatrice

For boys I like  Benjamin, Robert, Eli, Thomas, and Franklin

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/12 at 7:09 pm

I always liked the name Rachel. My great-grandmother was named Rachel and she hated it and went by Rae. I was planning on naming my first daughter Rachel but I never had any kids-but I did end up with a step-daughter by the name of Rachel.

Cat

Written By: belmont22 on 09/13/12 at 5:25 am

My best friend is named Tamara, Tammy for short and I really like that name because I associate it with her.  :)

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/12 at 7:34 pm

Names are my hobby actually. I post on Nameberry.com every day.

My favorite names are Alice, Anne, Agnes, Adelaide, Adele, Charlotte, Camilla, Daphne, Dahlia, Daisy, Eleanor, Estelle, Evangeline, Esther, Francesca, Frances, Felicity, Freya, Flora, Genevieve, Gwendolyn, Guinevere, Giselle, Georgiana, Georgia, Gianna, Harriet, Holly, Hannah, Honora, Isla, Iris, Isabel, Johanna, Jacqueline, Josephine, Julia, Juliana, Julianne, Jewel, June, Jane, Katya, Katherine, Lorelei, Lois, Louise, Louisa, Lillan, Lily, Liliana, Lucy, Leah, Lydia, Lavinia, Maria, Madeleine, Mae, Nora, Natalya, Noelle, Ophelia, Olympia, Penelope, Quinn, Rachel, Ruby, Rose, Rosalie, Scarlett, Seraphina, Susannah, Sylvia, Simone, Tatiana, Tabitha, Thea, Ursa, Verity, Violet, Victoria, Vivienne, Winona, Wilhelmina, Xia, Yvette, and Zia

For boys, I prefer Arthur, Atticus, Aaron, Beau, Benjamin, Christopher, Charles, Daniel, Drake, David, Dimitri, Evan, Elijah, Elliot, Emmett, Fred, Francis, George, Gray, Harry, Henry, Issac, Isaiah, John, Jack, Jude, Jeffery, Jasper, Joseph, James, Kyle, Kai, Lee, Logan, Leo, Lucas, Louis, Luke, Mark, Matthew, Miles, Nathaniel, Noah, Nicholas, Nicholai, North, Owen, Paul, Peter, Philip, Quentin, Quincy, Ryan, Reid, Rowan, Ronan, Richard, Silas, Stellan, Simon, Samuel, Theodore, Thomas, Ulysses, Victor, Vaughn, William, Walter, Xavier, York, Zachariah, and Zachary.

I tried to chose at least one name from each letter, but some letters are more difficult than others.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/19/12 at 10:21 pm

For the past 15 years or so made up names like Jayden have been popular. I hope that is ending.

Written By: Inertia on 09/20/12 at 6:17 am

For the past 15 years or so made up names like Jayden have been popular. I hope that is ending.

I dislike tryndee, kr8tiv spellings, and many unisex names immensely.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/22/12 at 7:15 pm

Beverly, Claire, Loretta, Vera

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/22/12 at 8:58 pm

Names are my hobby actually. I post on Nameberry.com every day.

My favorite names are Alice, Anne, Agnes, Adelaide, Adele, Charlotte, Camilla, Daphne, Dahlia, Daisy, Eleanor, Estelle, Evangeline, Esther, Francesca, Frances, Felicity, Freya, Flora, Genevieve, Gwendolyn, Guinevere, Giselle, Georgiana, Georgia, Gianna, Harriet, Holly, Hannah, Honora, Isla, Iris, Isabel, Johanna, Jacqueline, Josephine, Julia, Juliana, Julianne, Jewel, June, Jane, Katya, Katherine, Lorelei, Lois, Louise, Louisa, Lillan, Lily, Liliana, Lucy, Leah, Lydia, Lavinia, Maria, Madeleine, Mae, Nora, Natalya, Noelle, Ophelia, Olympia, Penelope, Quinn, Rachel, Ruby, Rose, Rosalie, Scarlett, Seraphina, Susannah, Sylvia, Simone, Tatiana, Tabitha, Thea, Ursa, Verity, Violet, Victoria, Vivienne, Winona, Wilhelmina, Xia, Yvette, and Zia

For boys, I prefer Arthur, Atticus, Aaron, Beau, Benjamin, Christopher, Charles, Daniel, Drake, David, Dimitri, Evan, Elijah, Elliot, Emmett, Fred, Francis, George, Gray, Harry, Henry, Issac, Isaiah, John, Jack, Jude, Jeffery, Jasper, Joseph, James, Kyle, Kai, Lee, Logan, Leo, Lucas, Louis, Luke, Mark, Matthew, Miles, Nathaniel, Noah, Nicholas, Nicholai, North, Owen, Paul, Peter, Philip, Quentin, Quincy, Ryan, Reid, Rowan, Ronan, Richard, Silas, Stellan, Simon, Samuel, Theodore, Thomas, Ulysses, Victor, Vaughn, William, Walter, Xavier, York, Zachariah, and Zachary.

I tried to chose at least one name from each letter, but some letters are more difficult than others.

Out of your list of names, I like Johanna and Issac.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/27/12 at 6:20 pm

I think Deborah is a really nice name, suitable for any age. I guess it just got so over-used and now it's associated with older women so it probably won't come into style again for at least another generation if ever.

Written By: The Valley Goth on 10/30/12 at 12:25 am

Like, Hi,

I don't hear the name Patrick very often today, and if I had children, they'd be named as follows:

(Girl) Tobi Ann
(Boy) Patrick Ford
(Girl) Texas Rose
(Girl) Chandelle Marie (?)
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...