inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1967

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/04/11 at 1:59 am

The summer of 1967 seems to be the most mythical period of the entire '60s--The Golden Moment before the darkness of '68 and the uncertainty of '69 and Kent State in '70, before Woodstock but also before Altamont--A year when a lot of great acts came on to the scene or achieved mainstream popularity like The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Pink Floyd, Cat Stevens, David Bowie, The Yardbirds--some short lived sadly, others continuing on for decades; A lot of the older bands' popularity continued to expand--The Beatles staged something of a comeback with St. Peppers, which launched them into new heights of popularity; ; The Stones were in the midst of determining who they were but were still huge. Other bands who'd come to define the '60s and '70s like Blue Oyster Cult, The Bee Gees, Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull, Chicago, T. Rex, The Stooges, Procol Harum, Steppenwolf, The Steve Miller Band, Credence Clearwater Revival, Genesis and Fleetwood Mac all began in 1967. 

It just seems like 1967--particularly that summer---was the real shining moment culturally of the "Hippie" part of the '60s. Anyone here have memories of 1967 they'd wanna share?

Subject: Re: 1967

Written By: gibbo on 10/04/11 at 3:45 am

Scot McKenzie had the hit "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)" in 1967. It was written by John Philips (of The Mamas and the Papas).

Written By: King Tut on 10/04/11 at 12:22 pm

Anyone here have memories of 1967 they'd wanna share?

My 1967 memories:
I was in first grade. My favorite song that year was "Up, up and away" by the 5th dimension. My brother was 14 and had friends over often and they listened to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, The Turtles and other popular acts of that time period. Some of his friends had long hair. Let's see, what else...wait..it's coming to me...I had the chicken pox that year.   :(

I think for someone to provide you with an answer you are looking for, they'd have to be at least 60 years old.  

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/11 at 12:26 pm

1967 = Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 6:07 pm

My 1967 memories:
I was in first grade. My favorite song that year was "Up, up and away" by the 5th dimension. My brother was 14 and had friends over often and they listened to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, The Turtles and other popular acts of that time period. Some of his friends had long hair. Let's see, what else...wait..it's coming to me...I had the chicken pox that year.   :(

I think for someone to provide you with an answer you are looking for, they'd have to be at least 60 years old.  

Those are legit memories of 1967.  I was born in 1969, so I have no conscious memories of the sixties.  Even though countercultural upheavals, assassinations, and war around the world marks the sixties as a time of great change, it seems like there was a lot more security and prosperity for people.  People I know who were adults in the sixties speak of a sense of optimism in the discord.  Today everything seems so nervous and bleak.
:(

Written By: gibbo on 10/05/11 at 5:34 am

My 1967 memories:

I have similar memories...although I had older an brother as well as 3 older sisters. The girls listened to a lot of Dione Warwick, Dusty Springfield, Petula Clark and Cilla Black records. My brother listened to The Beatles (I remember Rubber Soul well). The Bee Gees, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Gene Pitney and Glen Campbell were also played a lot. I remember my parents buying the soundtrack to Camelot. As a result I still listen to a lot of that older (mid to late sixties music). If I was the eldest I probably would not have heard most of it ... as I can't even remember the radio (or 'wireless' as it was called) being played much.

I remember the TV being mostly Bewitched, Jeannie, Get Smart, Batman, Hogans Heroes, Lost in Space, Daniel Boone, The Monkeys etc etc. These shows were still playing in '67. At night we watched shows like The Avengers (I was in love with Mrs Peel), The Saint, Bonanza, Mission Impossible, Star Trek. 

Because we were a single income family with 6 children... I don't recall going to the movies much at all back then. The movies suitable for me were on Saturday afternoon on tv ... old reruns of Jerry Lewis, or John Wayne. Some smaller films that I never saw again. The film 'ZOTZ' just came to mind.... something about a coin that could stop (or slow down) time when held and the person said ZOTZ. I recall Mr Bickley (from Mork and Mindy was the star). I probably have that completely wrong ... like most 44 year old memories... ;D

Man...things just seemed simpler back then. I guess they are when you're only 7. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/11 at 11:20 am

I don't really recall too many memories of 1967. It was my second year of dance class. I do remember a friend's birthday party-but I don't remember my own.  ??? I definitely have more memories of 1969 than 1967.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 10/05/11 at 1:48 pm

I was in a lovely warm place for most of 1967...free food and lodging, asleep most of the time and not a care in the world...

...then I went and got born!  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/11 at 6:34 pm

I was in a lovely warm place for most of 1967...free food and lodging, asleep most of the time and not a care in the world...

...then I went and got born!  :P

I KNEW you were going to say that.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/05/11 at 10:57 pm

Hmm, I was between second and third grade.  I liked the Beatles then (I had a Beatles lunchbox, I watched the Beatles cartoon) though I wasn't up on the Sgt. Pepper Beatles; I also liked the Monkees a lot.  That summer I learned to ride a bike.  I remember attending a summer day camp in the neighborhood; I don't remember much about it except for a big cookout near the end, they had yummy grilled hamburgers and a radio was on - when the song 'Windy' played on the radio I remember liking it.  Of course I lived for Saturday morning cartoons!  That's about the life of a seven year old.  ::)

Written By: King Tut on 10/06/11 at 12:45 pm

Hmm, I was between second and third grade.  I liked the Beatles then (I had a Beatles lunchbox, I watched the Beatles cartoon) though I wasn't up on the Sgt. Pepper Beatles; I also liked the Monkees a lot.  That summer I learned to ride a bike.  I remember attending a summer day camp in the neighborhood; I don't remember much about it except for a big cookout near the end, they had yummy grilled hamburgers and a radio was on - when the song 'Windy' played on the radio I remember liking it.  Of course I lived for Saturday morning cartoons!  That's about the life of a seven year old.   ::)

That how my life was as well, except for the summer day camp.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/11 at 7:00 pm

I think 1967 changed the world forever!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/06/11 at 7:02 pm

Those are legit memories of 1967.  I was born in 1969, so I have no conscious memories of the sixties.  Even though countercultural upheavals, assassinations, and war around the world marks the sixties as a time of great change, it seems like there was a lot more security and prosperity for people.  People I know who were adults in the sixties speak of a sense of optimism in the discord.  Today everything seems so nervous and bleak. :(

I think people are less idealistic now. I think we're still hopeful and optimistic, but carefully so.

Written By: King Tut on 10/07/11 at 3:51 pm

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

The Who - My generation (1965)

The Monkees

I also liked the Monkees a lot. 

Last verse of the Monkees theme song:
"We're the young gneration,
And we've got something to say"

Things still did seem innocent back in 1967, as many have mentioned already. But the following year:

Robert Kennedy - assassinated
Martin Luther King Jr - assassinated
Race riots in Washington DC, Chicago following the King assassination.

Thw world did not seem as safe.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/21 at 11:12 am

It was on this day (July 15th) in 1967, The Doors and Jefferson Airplane both played an afternoon and evening show to over 8,000 fans at Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/15/21 at 11:18 am

It was on this day (July 15th) in 1967, The Doors and Jefferson Airplane both played an afternoon and evening show to over 8,000 fans at Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California.

Donovan recorded a classic live album at the Anaheim Convention Center in 1967. Although it has since been remodeled, in the 60s the Anaheim Convention Center was a classic "Googie" style building.

http://i0.wp.com/scng-dash.digitalfirstmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/anaheim-arena.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/21 at 12:07 pm

Donovan recorded a classic live album at the Anaheim Convention Center in 1967. Although it has since been remodeled, in the 60s the Anaheim Convention Center was a classic "Googie" style building.

http://i0.wp.com/scng-dash.digitalfirstmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/anaheim-arena.gif

O0

Too late to see The Righteous Brothers?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/15/21 at 12:23 pm

O0

Too late to see The Righteous Brothers?

Or the strange, cult-like "Up With People":

The Hidden Story Of The Up With People Singers

https://city-countyobserver.com/the-hidden-story-of-the-up-with-people-singers/

Remembering Up With People: The Gayish Quasi-Cult That Invented The Super Bowl Halftime Show

https://deadspin.com/remembering-up-with-people-the-gayish-quasi-cult-that-5980867

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/21 at 12:44 pm

Or the strange, cult-like "Up With People":

The Hidden Story Of The Up With People Singers

https://city-countyobserver.com/the-hidden-story-of-the-up-with-people-singers/

Remembering Up With People: The Gayish Quasi-Cult That Invented The Super Bowl Halftime Show

https://deadspin.com/remembering-up-with-people-the-gayish-quasi-cult-that-5980867
All sounds curious for 1967?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/15/21 at 12:47 pm

All sounds curious for 1967?

Not at all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/21 at 12:52 pm

Not at all.
O0

Just done some quick online research.

If not for Covid-19, would be still preforming today, suspended for the meantime.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/15/21 at 12:54 pm

O0

Just done some quick online research.

If not for Covid-19, would be still preforming today, suspended for the meantime.

Like cockroaches they cannot be stomped out.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/21 at 3:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtUH9z_Oey8

Check for new replies or respond here...