inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kind of music might be in this video? 1960s.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/24/11 at 12:50 am

This is a home movie of mine dating from 1961 or 1962 (It's a communion party video and I'm not sure what age one made communion at in the early 60s before Vatican II). I was curious as to what kind of music they might be dancing to from 00:00-3:30 in the video? The dances with the two girls isn't any dance I know of, but it seems to have been popular and makes me wonder what kind of music was probably playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfoPKRCcUE

Subject: Re: What kind of music might be in this video? 1960s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/25/11 at 2:23 pm

Probably NOT rock n' roll, as not only is dancing only at a slow to moderate tempo, but rock and roll was still seen as the "devil's music" before the Beatles/Vatican II, and was mostly aimed at preteens/teens/very young adults were involved. It could be a polka, waltz, country, ethnic (European), swing (about as old school then as Hair Metal/Grunge is today), or even just a moderate tempo song by an easy listening artist.

Written By: Porfle Popnecker on 12/26/11 at 12:49 pm

They may not be dancing at all.  Back in the hills we used to do something kind of like that only we called it "Walkin' Around Fancy."

Written By: gibbo on 12/28/11 at 4:37 am

Looks like the typical rock n roll dancing of the early 60's. The type they'd do to early Petula Clarke... or The Supremes. It got much freakier as the 60's went on ... with Go-Go dancing and the like.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/11 at 6:40 am

The Twist was popular back then, but they are not dancing that dance.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/11 at 7:42 am

Is it the Mashed Potato?

Written By: gibbo on 12/28/11 at 9:22 pm

Is it the Mashed Potato?

It looked like a subdued version of The Mashed Potato ... with a hint of The Swim.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/01/12 at 9:47 pm

This is a home movie of mine dating from 1961 or 1962 (It's a communion party video and I'm not sure what age one made communion at in the early 60s before Vatican II). I was curious as to what kind of music they might be dancing to from 00:00-3:30 in the video? The dances with the two girls isn't any dance I know of, but it seems to have been popular and makes me wonder what kind of music was probably playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfoPKRCcUE

Rhett, I noticed a few dances, the bunny hop and/or the huckle buck by the little girl with the man, the twist and the chicken back by the girl in blue, so rock n roll had to be played with the older 50's hits.

Check for new replies or respond here...