inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nude swimming?

Written By: goodsally on 03/01/12 at 3:23 pm

I've heard from a couple sources that boys/men were required to swim nude in high school and at he YMCA's in the 50's.

Does anyone know if this is true, or an urban myth? ::)

Subject: Re: Nude swimming?

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/12 at 3:34 pm

CS9OO0S5w2k

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know....), it is true.

Before the YMCA began to admit females in the early 1960s, swimming trunks were not even allowed in the pools, and high school swimming classes for boys sometimes had similar policies, citing the impracticality of providing and maintaining sanitary swimming gear and clogging swimming pools' filtration systems with lint fibers from the swimsuits. These practices were common because of the perception that there was nothing wrong or sexual about seeing members of the same gender in the nude, especially in these indoor contexts among equals in 'birthday suit uniform'. In some areas, this extended well into the early 1970s.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/01/12 at 3:41 pm

CS9OO0S5w2k

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know....), it is true.

Before the YMCA began to admit females in the early 1960s, swimming trunks were not even allowed in the pools, and high school swimming classes for boys sometimes had similar policies, citing the impracticality of providing and maintaining sanitary swimming gear and clogging swimming pools' filtration systems with lint fibers from the swimsuits. These practices were common because of the perception that there was nothing wrong or sexual about seeing members of the same gender in the nude, especially in these indoor contexts among equals in 'birthday suit uniform'. In some areas, this extended well into the early 1970s.

This is the same decadeology troll that's been coming in and out of here over the last few weeks.

Why else would they keep putting "everbody talk about...pop music" on their profile???    :P

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/12 at 3:44 pm

Bad Sally! 

Written By: Henk on 03/01/12 at 4:06 pm

This is the same decadeology troll that's been coming in and out of here over the last few weeks.

Why else would they keep putting "everbody talk about...pop music" on their profile???    :P

I noticed the same thing.

Bad Sally! 

More like naughty Sally. ;D

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/12 at 4:12 pm

I noticed the same thing.

Yeah, what is up with that?  Is it a glitch in the system, or is someone dumb enough to put that each time they re-register?

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/01/12 at 8:11 pm

Yeah, what is up with that?  Is it a glitch in the system, or is someone dumb enough to put that each time they re-register?

z_KmNZNT5xw

A glitch?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/12 at 8:29 pm

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/plewberty/dumbass.jpg

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/02/12 at 9:49 am

it's the system default.  every new user has it.  hang your head in shame now please.

Written By: Henk on 03/02/12 at 9:51 am

it's the system default.  every new user has it.  hang your head in shame now please.

Oops. Sincere apologies to sally. :-[

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/02/12 at 1:07 pm

Sorry Sally.  :-[

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/02/12 at 1:51 pm

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/jasum/ashamed.jpg

I'm sorry. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/12 at 6:50 pm

Darn, Sally, I thought that was an invitation!

Well, I always say if it sounds too ridiculous to be true, it just might be.

From the same source Wikipedia uses:

An early casualty of gender equity was males-only nude swimming in the downtown pool. Men and boys had been accustomed to swimming au naturel at the YMCA, not only in Seattle but in Ys everywhere, since the 1890s. The practice may have evolved from problems created by the long, wool swimming suits then in fashion, which apparently shed so much they gummed up the pool filters. Later, nude swimming was justified on the grounds of hygiene. A handbook in use at the Seattle Y in the 1920s required that “A good soap bath must be taken before entering the swimming pool” in the same paragraph that specified “The wearing of swimming suits or supporters will not be allowed except by permission from the director” (Information for Members).

Swim suit 1920s
http://www.petriepointdesigns.com/images/Block%20Island.jpg

I'd rather go au naturel myself!
:-\\

Written By: goodsally on 03/02/12 at 10:32 pm

Thank you for the regrets.  I read the first several posts yesterday and was quite upset with the responses (not withstanding the first one), but didn't have a chance to respond myself.  I signed on today intending to do so.  Glad this was cleared up.  I assure you I never heard of this site prior to three days ago.

All is well 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/02/12 at 11:14 pm

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/362/a/c/facehoof__twilight_sparkle_by_atomicgreymon-d35wxoo.jpg

Our bad :)

Later, nude swimming was justified on the grounds of hygiene. A handbook in use at the Seattle Y in the 1920s required that “A good soap bath must be taken before entering the swimming pool” in the same paragraph that specified “The wearing of swimming suits or supporters will not be allowed except by permission from the director” (Information for Members)

Interesting note - the roaring 20s is right around the time when we knew enough about communicable diseases such as polio to be scared about them, but not enough to have vaccines against all of them; polio was particularly terrifying, and public pools were frequently closed during outbreaks.  I get the general impression that the whole notion of public bathing (read "Swimming in a big pool") was viewed as fashionably avant-garde until chlorination of the water supply took hold in the early 1900s (between WW1 but before WW2), and it wasn't until the post-WW2 era when chlorine started to be used in swimming pools.  Then the 50s came, polio was beaten, we invented the bikini, and the rest was history.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/12 at 5:52 am

I remember my brother going to the Y in the 50's and not wanting to.  One reason was the nude swimming, another was the racist coach.  He was very young and the Y wasn't really as Christian as it purported to be.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/03/12 at 10:13 am

In today's world I know this wouldn't be allowed but when I was in high school ('76 - '80) we were able
to use the pool during the hot months at the beginning and end of the school year with one stipulation,
sweaty gym clothes were not allowed in the pool. Since we didn't have swim class until the winter months
no one had swim trunks in their locker so the teacher said no clothes or no swimming. Most of us stripped
our clothes and dove in.

Strange thing about the whole story is there were three girls in our gym class, and an all girls gym class followed
ours and the girls lockers and showers were adjacent to the pool. They were supposed to use the outside entrance
to gain access to their lockers but they rarely did. A parade of girls continuely walk passed the pool as a bunch
of naked guys swam as if all was right in the world. The girls however, never did participate in the naked swim.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/12 at 1:50 pm

Darn, Sally, I thought that was an invitation!

Well, I always say if it sounds too ridiculous to be true, it just might be.

From the same source Wikipedia uses:

An early casualty of gender equity was males-only nude swimming in the downtown pool. Men and boys had been accustomed to swimming au naturel at the YMCA, not only in Seattle but in Ys everywhere, since the 1890s. The practice may have evolved from problems created by the long, wool swimming suits then in fashion, which apparently shed so much they gummed up the pool filters. Later, nude swimming was justified on the grounds of hygiene. A handbook in use at the Seattle Y in the 1920s required that “A good soap bath must be taken before entering the swimming pool” in the same paragraph that specified “The wearing of swimming suits or supporters will not be allowed except by permission from the director” (Information for Members).

Swim suit 1920s
http://www.petriepointdesigns.com/images/Block%20Island.jpg

I'd rather go au naturel myself!

Here are my great-grandparents in their swimming attire in 1934. Gotta love how they are wearing the exact same suit.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/lwf7.jpg

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/12 at 5:00 pm

Here are my great-grandparents in their swimming attire in 1934. Gotta love how they are wearing the exact same suit.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/lwf7.jpg

Cat

http://muslimvoices.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/burkini.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/12 at 5:04 pm

Interesting note - the roaring 20s is right around the time when we knew enough about communicable diseases such as polio to be scared about them, but not enough to have vaccines against all of them; polio was particularly terrifying, and public pools were frequently closed during outbreaks.  I get the general impression that the whole notion of public bathing (read "Swimming in a big pool") was viewed as fashionably avant-garde until chlorination of the water supply took hold in the early 1900s (between WW1 but before WW2), and it wasn't until the post-WW2 era when chlorine started to be used in swimming pools.  Then the 50s came, polio was beaten, we invented the bikini, and the rest was history.

If you've got crummy personal habits, is it REALLY more hygienic to go commando in the pool?
8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/07/12 at 9:29 pm

If you've got crummy personal habits, is it REALLY more hygienic to go commando in the pool?
8-P

That's the part that didn't make sense to me either.  Hey, I wasn't even born yet.  My parents might not even have been old enough to remember.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/12 at 11:03 pm

That's the part that didn't make sense to me either.  Hey, I wasn't even born yet.  My parents might not even have been old enough to remember.

And not everybody who could remember went to the Y.  Maybe sometimes they had lunch at the Y.  You never know.
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/08/12 at 2:48 am

And not everybody who could remember went to the Y.  Maybe sometimes they had lunch at the Y.  You never know.
8)

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/43/ICEE_what_you_did_there.jpg

What my grandpa did with your grandma is neither of our business :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/08/12 at 3:27 am

I like to go swimmin' with the bow-legged woman
And swim right between her legs....

Written By: danootaandme on 03/08/12 at 5:41 am

8)

eeeewwwwwwhhhhhhh  Not everyone will get that, but I did.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/08/12 at 7:44 pm

What my grandpa did with your grandma is neither of our business :)

My grandpa had four children, other than that I don't think he did much business a'tall!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/12 at 3:32 pm

eeeewwwwwwhhhhhhh  Not everyone will get that, but I did.

It took me a moment but I got it, too.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/10/12 at 4:30 pm

I have a friend who has a friend who has an uncle who blew his nuts off at a YMCA pool in 1959 after one of his buddies double-dog dared him to do a cannonball off the high board while nude.  :o :o :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/12 at 5:31 pm

I have a friend who has a friend who has an uncle who blew his nuts off at a YMCA pool in 1959 after one of his buddies double-dog dared him to do a cannonball off the high board while nude.  :o :o :o

OUCH!!!!!

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/12 at 5:57 pm

OUCH!!!!!

Cat

So long as he hit the water in cannonball position!
:o

Written By: teri on 03/20/12 at 7:42 pm

I've heard from a couple sources that boys/men were required to swim nude in high school and at he YMCA's in the 50's.

[/quote

the boys swam nude at our high school...woodward high school.

Written By: warped on 05/26/12 at 12:48 pm

Only in the Catholic Church pools  8)

Written By: kingofpain on 06/17/12 at 11:37 am

I sure am glad I didn't grow up in the 1950s or 60s.

Ugh.

Check for new replies or respond here...