inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 16 rpm records

Written By: goodsally on 03/04/12 at 3:25 pm

What do people know of 16 rpm records?  Though it was always a speed setting on phonographs and stereos, I only recall seeing one; it was a self-recording of my Mom and her friend in a recording booth (similar to a photo booth).  Were 16 rpm's ever used commercially?

Cheers

Subject: Re: 16 rpm records

Written By: fusefan on 03/04/12 at 4:56 pm

I believe they might have made them for audiobooks (before books on tape) and background music to play in stores. I been collecting records for 4 years and i've still haven't found any of 'em.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/12 at 7:46 pm

Seeburg 1000 background music system.

16 RPM, usually 16 and change, was also used for transcriptions of prerecorded material for radio.  I've seen them from time to time at flea markets and record sales.  I'm sure you can find them on eBay or and specialty sites on the net. 

I've also seen 16-inch records, which were also used for transcriptions starting in the 1930s.  These were usually recorded at 33 1/2 RPM, but you need a special turntable to play 'em properly.  Many of them were not pressed to last.  Cheap shellac all peeling apart now.
::)

LINX FIXT

Written By: Dude111 on 12/27/17 at 1:59 am

My record player has a 16rpm setting but I havent ever heard a 16!!

Anyone ever hear music recorded @ that speed??

Written By: Howard on 12/27/17 at 5:14 am

My record player has a 16rpm setting but I havent ever heard a 16!!

Anyone ever hear music recorded @ that speed??

Is that a slow or fast speed? ???

Written By: Dude111 on 12/27/17 at 7:01 am

Thats pretty slow Howard,I take it ya dont have a record player :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/27/17 at 9:57 am

As a preteen, we'd sometimes take regular records and play them at 16 rpm.  It was a hoot!  The voices were very low and slow - it sounded like they were gagging on molasses.  :D

My Dad advised us not to go the other way, much - doing so did harm to the record and needle.  But once in a while we'd sneakily bump up the speed on an LP (or 45, which we'd play at 78) and that was a hoot, too - the voices sounded a lot like fast chipmunks.

;D

Written By: violet_shy on 12/27/17 at 3:36 pm

As a preteen, we'd sometimes take regular records and play them at 16 rpm.  It was a hoot!  The voices were very low and slow - it sounded like they were gagging on molasses.  :D

;D

Hahaha ;D, same thing happens when you play a 7 inch record at a 33 inch speed.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/28/17 at 2:26 am

Yes I imagine it would!! (78 being played @ 33 -- AH MAN!!)

Written By: Howard on 12/28/17 at 5:16 am

Thats pretty slow Howard,I take it ya dont have a record player :)

I used to back during the early to mid 1980's and I used to have fun with playing the records like Alvin And The Chipmunks on 78 speed.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/17 at 5:24 am

My Dad advised us not to go the other way, much - doing so did harm to the record and needle.  But once in a while we'd sneakily bump up the speed on an LP (or 45, which we'd play at 78) and that was a hoot, too - the voices sounded a lot like fast chipmunks.

;D

I was told by my record shop owner told me not to do that for it would create more wear and tear on the stylus, and will not last for so long.

Written By: Dude111 on 12/29/17 at 1:28 am

Here is a 16rpm MUSIC record being played (HERB ALBERT - 1965) and it sounds insane! (I WOULD LOVE FINDING SOME 16s TO LISTEN TO IN ACTUAL ANALOGUE!! (My player does have 16))

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2faYKXSKCRU

Check for new replies or respond here...