inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old TV commercials

Written By: sargentphilco on 03/18/12 at 11:35 am

Does anyone remember the TV commercials sponsored by the Ad Council? The one Im looking for was a Boy Scout saying the Pledge of Allegience, then he fades into a high school student wearing his lettermans jacket and continuing where the other had left off, and then he fades into a college student in cap and gown continuing where the others had left off, and finally a soldier with helment and back pack continuing where the others left off untill finished. The background music was America the beautiful, and although I was only 9 or 10 at that time, it used to make me misty eyed every time it came on. Ive looked on You Tube and other places but I cant find it. Any suggestions?

Subject: Re: Old TV commercials

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/12 at 8:24 pm

Only YOU can prevent forest fires!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFkzWSFW70M

8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/20/12 at 10:50 pm

although I was only 9 or 10 at that time, it used to make me misty eyed every time it came on. Ive looked on You Tube and other places but I cant find it. Any suggestions?

That's gonna be tough-ish - the Ad Council distributes public service announcements (PSAs) to fill air when air can't be filled.  Since the ads have to be both non-partisan and of national relevance, and since they only distribute the ads (rather than make the ads), some of them are damn good ads.  Many are memorable, and I think I vaguely remember that one too.  But they also maintain archives, which might be easy to narrow down.

I'm having the same problem you were - any attempt to search for anything about the pledge results in relatively recent (late-00s/early-10s) news about political bickering.  We don't really need to know when you were born, but you seem to have a pretty good idea of how old you were when you remember seeing it.  And that might help. 

Can you help us narrow it down a little more?  What years do you think this aired?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/12 at 12:07 am

That's gonna be tough-ish - the Ad Council distributes public service announcements (PSAs) to fill air when air can't be filled.  Since the ads have to be both non-partisan and of national relevance, and since they only distribute the ads (rather than make the ads), some of them are damn good ads.  Many are memorable, and I think I vaguely remember that one too.  But they also maintain archives, which might be easy to narrow down.

I'm having the same problem you were - any attempt to search for anything about the pledge results in relatively recent (late-00s/early-10s) news about political bickering.  We don't really need to know when you were born, but you seem to have a pretty good idea of how old you were when you remember seeing it.  And that might help. 

Can you help us narrow it down a little more?  What years do you think this aired?

1969!  It said so right on the Youtube window until somebody tampered with it!

He're one from the Dairy Council.  Viddy well, me droogies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lpnrdWSwIs

Written By: sargentphilco on 03/21/12 at 5:25 pm

I'm pretty sure the comercial ran in 1968 and ran through 1970 at least.

Check for new replies or respond here...