inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Isn't it sad how old the pre-rock generation is getting now?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/20/12 at 8:33 am

I'm talking anyone born before 1935 or so (like anyone older than Elvis) so they grew up before rock and roll and "modern" teenagers and seem like they were the last to truly be part of a different world.

I think of typical "grandparently" people as growing up in the jazz age (i.e. the 1920s '30s and '40s) and having neat stories about the old days. Even if it was during the Depression or World War II, there was always something classy and comforting about it, if that makes sense?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Baby Boomers and rock culture, but I really don't want those people replacing them as the seniors! It just feels...wrong or something. I feel like we'll truly be losing a wonderful part of history in another generation or so when they've almost all passed away.

When I was younger, someone born in 1925, 1930ish was on the older side already, but still in the workplace, active, taking care of THEIR parents (which made them seem a little bit young), and sometimes the more youthful ones were even into pop culture a little bit. So weird how the youngest ones are now like 78, and other than a few exceptions, totally retired and have no more power or influence on the establishment.

The only thing keeping that age group from totally "old old people" are the more youthful celebs like William Shatner, Regis, and Casey Kasem who are around 80 now and still a part of pop culture.

Subject: Re: Isn't it sad how old the pre-rock generation is getting now?

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/26/12 at 8:49 am

You can see the demographic shift for them even among "senior citizen services". AARP membership starts at 50 (and some Active Adult/Senior communities as well), which means that almost all of the Baby Boomers are now eligible, and the pre-Rock generation even here is starting to take a back seat to Boomers on their magazine's cover. Many items from their youth are no longer merely called "vintage", but "antique", and rapidly increasing in value meaning they can't enjoy the nostalgia as cheaply. At least they can go into a Goodwill and find some Perry Como and such albums for a buck if they still can use a turntable. They are also the last geneation to really experience life before TV (people will say the same about the pre-Internet/cellphone generation many decades from now).

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/26/12 at 12:17 pm

You can see the demographic shift for them even among "senior citizen services". AARP membership starts at 50 (and some Active Adult/Senior communities as well), which means that almost all of the Baby Boomers are now eligible, and the pre-Rock generation even here is starting to take a back seat to Boomers on their magazine's cover. Many items from their youth are no longer merely called "vintage", but "antique", and rapidly increasing in value meaning they can't enjoy the nostalgia as cheaply. At least they can go into a Goodwill and find some Perry Como and such albums for a buck if they still can use a turntable. They are also the last geneation to really experience life before TV (people will say the same about the pre-Internet/cellphone generation many decades from now).

That's true. Even among seniors the demographics and marketing tend to target the "young old people", like a 65 year old ex-hippie Boomer as opposed to an 85 year old Sinatra fan. Yeah, I go to goodwill and thrift stores alot, and you can find records as far back as the jazz age, but all in all I'd say you're right that most pre-1960s stuff is too old to even be retro and its more antique and rare.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/27/12 at 9:57 am

Actually, its not sad at all. considering the alternative

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/31/12 at 7:46 pm

Actually, its not sad at all. considering the alternative

Well yeah, at least many are still alive. What I meant though is that its really unsettling and sad for me to start really seeing the demographics change from what I grew up being used to.

My uncle is born in 1930 and he's a perfect example. He was working and (for his age) youthful for so long, and now he and his peers are total seniors. He was only 55 in 1985, that's young compared to 82!

I don't like change I guess. Death is the only thing that's totally irreversible, and it hurts to see people like him getting a step closer to that. When "their" pop culture and experiences go with them, its just icing on the cake.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/04/12 at 10:51 am

Well yeah, at least many are still alive. What I meant though is that its really unsettling and sad for me to start really seeing the demographics change from what I grew up being used to.

My uncle is born in 1930 and he's a perfect example. He was working and (for his age) youthful for so long, and now he and his peers are total seniors. He was only 55 in 1985, that's young compared to 82!

I don't like change I guess. Death is the only thing that's totally irreversible, and it hurts to see people like him getting a step closer to that. When "their" pop culture and experiences go with them, its just icing on the cake.

But their pop culture will not go with them.  Culture of any kind doesn't die unless its civilization dies, i.e. the Incan.  That's why people still listen to Mozart, Bach, Beethoven etc. who all were once the "pop culture" of their time.  Glenn Miller, Dizzy Gillespie, Perez Prado are more recent examples.  New layers of culture are laid down over the old. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/12 at 11:29 pm

You know something, mister?  Everybody's gotta get old and die.  If we didn't, there would be no room for anybody else after awhile!
::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/14/12 at 5:57 pm

You know something, mister?  Everybody's gotta get old and die.  If we didn't, there would be no room for anybody else after awhile!
::)

Unless we stop all the hanky panky ;)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 05/02/12 at 8:48 pm

Honestly, I think that as long as people are willing to listen to the music, there should be no age stereotype on who listens to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...