inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock songs being used for commercials...is it cool with you?

Written By: hot_wax on 12/16/12 at 6:46 pm

I feel insulted when Madison Ave. uses our Rock era's music for commercials, and pity the artists who sell out. I personally refuse to purchase products prostituting our music to make a buck.

Subject: Re: Rock songs being used for commercials...is it cool with you?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/12 at 6:55 pm

Several years ago, I posted a thread similar:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=19537.0

As you can see not too many responses.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

As much as I love to hear some of the songs, personally I think it is sell out. Though, I don't mind when artist LEND their music for good causes-like Sarah McLachlan's Angel and ASPCA.

Cat

Written By: hot_wax on 12/16/12 at 7:09 pm

Several years ago, I posted a thread similar:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=19537.0

As you can see not too many responses.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

As much as I love to hear some of the songs, personally I think it is sell out. Though, I don't mind when artist LEND their music for good causes-like Sarah McLachlan's Angel and ASPCA.

Cat

Sorry, I missed your post Cat. I didn't know of it, but it still pisses me off when Mad Ave. uses popular songs to sell product. Sarah's song is to sad for me, I have to change the channel before I choke up looking at those dogs where by now are already dead.

Written By: warped on 12/16/12 at 7:12 pm

I'm Ok with listening to the song in the add, won't make me purchase the product though.

It is kind of a sell out, but if I were a musician and needed money, and they offered me good money, I'd probably do it.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/16/12 at 9:38 pm

I'm Ok with listening to the song in the add, won't make me purchase the product though.

It is kind of a sell out, but if I were a musician and needed money, and they offered me good money, I'd probably do it.

Those artists should write jingles for the product, not sell out their songs that touched their fans personal lives. I just saw a commercail for Nautical Sportswear and they were playing "Bring it on Home" by Sam Cooke throughout the commercal. Not only that in insulted my inteligence, but the song did not fit the story theme of the commercial, we know it's a Black Artist Soul song and it was being played to "white bread" Cape Cod looking actors in Nautical yuppy clothes. I can't believe some asshole, probably a very young asshole who don't know any music before the "Back Street Boys" approved that song for that commercial, I have no respect for Nautical Sportwear now or ever again thinking that Soul song would make me buy their boat neck sweaters. 

Written By: Howard on 12/17/12 at 6:25 am

How about when some funk songs are/were being used for commercials such as Burger King or McDonalds?

Written By: loki 13 on 12/22/12 at 6:21 pm

I feel insulted when Madison Ave. uses our Rock era's music for commercials, and pity the artists who sell out. I personally refuse to purchase products prostituting our music to make a buck.

Careful, you can't always blame the artist because they rarely own the publishing rights. Publishing companies and
record labels own the rights to songs with the artist collecting royalties when the song is used. Sometimes they
have no say in how the song is used.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/23/12 at 10:08 pm

Careful, you can't always blame the artist because they rarely own the publishing rights. Publishing companies and
record labels own the rights to songs with the artist collecting royalties when the song is used. Sometimes they
have no say in how the song is used.

You're most likely correct on this, because Sam Cooke couldn't give his OK to use his song from the grave, some one raped his song  and his good name for the allmighty dollar, shame on them, I hope that the Cooke estate got their fair share of money from the publishing company.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/12 at 4:03 pm

Sorry, I missed your post Cat. I didn't know of it, but it still pisses me off when Mad Ave. uses popular songs to sell product. Sarah's song is to sad for me, I have to change the channel before I choke up looking at those dogs where by now are already dead.

I always choke up when I see that commercial, too.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/24/12 at 6:56 pm

I don't mind just as long as it relates to the commercial.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/25/12 at 12:32 am

10-20 years ago I would have totally agreed with you about artists selling out when they allow their music to be used for advertising, but times have changed. It is much harder to make a living as a musician today because hardly anyone buys albums anymore, so in order to make it they have to get their money any way they can. Why do you think concerts have gotten so much more expensive?

If an artist wants to sell his or her music to Madison Avenue so they can profit off of their work, I say more power to them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/12 at 1:58 am

10-20 years ago I would have totally agreed with you about artists selling out when they allow their music to be used for advertising, but times have changed. It is much harder to make a living as a musician today because hardly anyone buys albums anymore, so in order to make it they have to get their money any way they can. Why do you think concerts have gotten so much more expensive?

If an artist wants to sell his or her music to Madison Avenue so they can profit off of their work, I say more power to them.

You can hear his bones humming.

Check for new replies or respond here...