inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Simon and Garfunkel song

Written By: Katluver on 09/21/13 at 9:56 am

I know they had a few songs from the 70s but the majority of their stuff was from the 60s so I decided to post it under this board.

Anyway, they had so many great songs that it's almost impossible to vote. I think I do have a favorite, which would be "Sound of Silence" closely followed by "Scarborough Fair" then perhaps "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

Subject: Re: Favorite Simon and Garfunkel song

Written By: warped on 09/21/13 at 10:47 am

The sound of silence.

The song is awesome. One of the best 60s songs. The lyrics are powerful and blow me away.

My 2nd choice is either Scarborough fair or Mrs. Robinson. Both fabulous songs. After that I like "Wednesday morning, 3AM", and "Flowers never bend with the rainfall", "Homeward bound" and "El Condor Pasa"

Written By: Katluver on 09/21/13 at 11:01 am

The sound of silence.

The song is awesome. One of the best 60s songs. The lyrics are powerful and blow me away.

My 2nd choice is either Scarborough fair or Mrs. Robinson. Both fabulous songs. After that I like "Wednesday morning, 3AM", and "Flowers never bend with the rainfall", "Homeward bound" and "El Condor Pasa"

You have great taste!
I find "The Sound of Silence" haunting yet simultaneously holds a casual rock beat---very clever. 
"Scarborough Fair" is beautiful and haunting. Do need to be in a very quiet environment to listen to it.
"Mrs. Robinson" still gets a lot of airplay yet I still enjoy listening to it.
"El Condor Pasa" is another great song.
Same with "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM". Too bad they made a horrible sequel called "Creep By the Alleyway"

Written By: Howard on 09/21/13 at 2:59 pm

Sound Of Silence
Bridge Over Troubled Water
I Am A Rock
Mrs.Robinson

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/21/13 at 7:45 pm

While I do love most of the ones listed, I'm going with "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy).  I have really sweet memories to go along with that one and it always puts a smile on my face!  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/13 at 8:09 pm

There are many Simon and Garfunkel songs I like, but chose "Homeward Bound" as it is one of my favourite karaoke songs.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/21/13 at 10:39 pm

http://i.imgur.com/evNVwqu.gif

It's not a choice I'd recommend for everybody, but maintaining a certain detachment from life has worked out OK for me.

But thanks for reminding me how good the rest of their tracks were. It's been years since I listened to them in quick succession, and the real answer is that for music I dismissed as fluffy folk songs/soft rock (albeit with lyrical brilliance), these guys were amazingly talented musicians too. On a technical basis, it'd be Mrs. Robinson for making something sound great with nothing more than 1968-level technology and acoustic guitars (man, as a kid I'm amazed my parents ever let me listen to it... the music was just so good I could only remember the chorus :), and for actual lyrical brilliance, Sounds of Silence.

(Edit: 10,000 posts.)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/22/13 at 4:52 am

Hard to choose, but I went with "The Boxer".  It is a combination of words and music that transcends the parameters of both.

Written By: Henk on 09/22/13 at 8:06 am

Let us be lovers - we'll marry our fortunes together
I've got some real estate here in my bag...

So, yeah - America for me, even though the first time I ever heard the song was in English class somewhere in the early 1980s.

Written By: gibbo on 09/22/13 at 5:21 pm

Great list ... but there's no way I can split many of these songs. Some are louder (Cecelia, Mrs Robinson) ... but most are quiet and poignant. There are all special songs...

I'd love to play favourites ... but I just can't on this one!  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 09/23/13 at 4:22 am

Impossible to pick one...sorry! They were just that good!

(I must have had a moment of realisation somewhere in the last 30 years as I wouldn't have given them so much as a listen when I was in my early teens... :-[)

Written By: nally on 09/24/13 at 3:34 pm

Impossible to pick one...sorry! They were just that good!

Same here. Although there are some songs of theirs I enjoy more than others.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/13 at 8:32 pm

The Sound of Silence for me as well.  My second choice isn't really a Simon and Garfunkel song, but in a way, it actually is ...

It was a cover of the Sam Cooke song Wonderful World as credited to Art Garfunkel featuring Paul Simon and James Taylor.  It was a Top 20 hit in 1978.  No matter who sings this song, I always think of the movie National Lampoon's Animal House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-s9uXvwrws

Written By: gibbo on 09/30/13 at 12:09 am

I've thought more about this and think I would hold Bridge Over Troubled Waters as their best overall effort. This is because it is one of the purest vocals I have heard from that (or any era). There's nowhere to hide for Art Garfunkel in this song. It has to be perfect!

Recently, I have been liking 'April Come She Will' ...

Written By: warped on 09/30/13 at 7:05 am

The Sound of Silence for me as well.  My second choice isn't really a Simon and Garfunkel song, but in a way, it actually is ...

It was a cover of the Sam Cooke song Wonderful World as credited to Art Garfunkel featuring Paul Simon and James Taylor.  It was a Top 20 hit in 1978.  No matter who sings this song, I always think of the movie National Lampoon's Animal House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-s9uXvwrws

When we heard news on the radio (back in either late 1977 or early 1978) that Simon & Garfunkel were reuniting and getting together with James Taylor on a song, The DJ's said for sure it would be a "number 1" song everywhere...a huge mega hit.

In the end it didn't turn out that way, but still a good song.

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/13 at 6:58 pm

When we heard news on the radio (back in either late 1977 or early 1978) that Simon & Garfunkel were reuniting and getting together with James Taylor on a song, The DJ's said for sure it would be a "number 1" song everywhere...a huge mega hit.

In the end it didn't turn out that way, but still a good song.

Perhaps the duo had run their course.  People would rather see each solo.
It did make it to #13 in Canada and #17 in the US, which wasn't bad considering it was the height of the disco craze

Written By: Katluver on 10/01/13 at 8:50 pm

Perhaps the duo had run their course.  People would rather see each solo.
It did make it to #13 in Canada and #17 in the US, which wasn't bad considering it was the height of the disco craze

I've heard this song played a few times on the radio---didn't know that was Garfunkel singing along with James Taylor.

Check for new replies or respond here...