inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 1950s, and '60s?

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/19/13 at 1:01 am

Okay, so who has some wonderful stories to share about growing up in the '50s and '60s? What was a typical school day like? What were the 'must have' toys during that time? The fashion? The trends? Anything? I am inspired to start this topic, and it reminds me of my parent's great stories and memories of when they were children during the '60s. But of course, they don't tell me every single thing. So I'm hoping some of you can fill in the blanks for me...and, it would make my day! Definitely!  ;D

Subject: Re: The 1950s, and '60s?

Written By: warped on 11/19/13 at 8:03 am

Growing up in the late 1960s. (I was still a kid, like your parents)

As kids we watched shows like Captain Kangaroo, (Mr Dressup, Friendly Giant in Canada), Romper room. This was before Sesame Street was on TV. We'd also watch TV shows such as Family Affair, My Three Sons, Lost In Space...shows with children on it. I watched "The Monkees" as well.  Popular cartoons were Bugs Bunny/Road Runner, Underdog, Aton Ant, Secret Squirrel, Space Ghost, Spiderman, Jetsons, Mighty Mouse and others. The Banana Splits were good too. This was all on a Black/white TV.

Toys? Most of the kids back then (the boys for sure) were very interested in the Space program. It was still fairly new, and Neil Armstrong had not walked on the moon yet. Spy shows were also popular on TV. So I had a spy kit and astronaut type toys.
I had a Lionel Train set which was handed down to me. We played with matchbox cars and Hot wheels. We played with marbles, pick-up sticks. We collected baseball and hockey cards (they were I think 10 cents for one pack).
I has a slinky, silly putty, Major Matt Mason toys, clackers, a pair of roller skates. The older kids played twister.
My parents smoked and it was not unusual for them to ask me to go to the store and buy some for them, even when I was 6 or 7 years old. The store never asked for ID.  I was already going to the store alone at the age or 5 or 6.

As kids we'd stay out all day, play with other kids, did foolish things. Parents never had a worry in the world that anything bad would ever happen to us.  It was a much safer place than now. We played stick ball (honestly no one could afford a baseball bat). We played with a discarded used tennis ball that no one wanted. We left out house doors unlocked, people would be going it or out all day..never had a worry that anyone would break in or steal anything.

It was the best of times.  :)

Written By: Marian on 01/16/14 at 10:49 pm

Growing up in the late 1960s. (I was still a kid, like your parents)

As kids we watched shows like Captain Kangaroo, (Mr Dressup, Friendly Giant in Canada), Romper room. This was before Sesame Street was on TV. We'd also watch TV shows such as Family Affair, My Three Sons, Lost In Space...shows with children on it. I watched "The Monkees" as well.  Popular cartoons were Bugs Bunny/Road Runner, Underdog, Aton Ant, Secret Squirrel, Space Ghost, Spiderman, Jetsons, Mighty Mouse and others. The Banana Splits were good too. This was all on a Black/white TV.

Toys? Most of the kids back then (the boys for sure) were very interested in the Space program. It was still fairly new, and Neil Armstrong had not walked on the moon yet. Spy shows were also popular on TV. So I had a spy kit and astronaut type toys.
I had a Lionel Train set which was handed down to me. We played with matchbox cars and Hot wheels. We played with marbles, pick-up sticks. We collected baseball and hockey cards (they were I think 10 cents for one pack).
I has a slinky, silly putty, Major Matt Mason toys, clackers, a pair of roller skates. The older kids played twister.
My parents smoked and it was not unusual for them to ask me to go to the store and buy some for them, even when I was 6 or 7 years old. The store never asked for ID.  I was already going to the store alone at the age or 5 or 6.

As kids we'd stay out all day, play with other kids, did foolish things. Parents never had a worry in the world that anything bad would ever happen to us.  It was a much safer place than now. We played stick ball (honestly no one could afford a baseball bat). We played with a discarded used tennis ball that no one wanted. We left out house doors unlocked, people would be going it or out all day..never had a worry that anyone would break in or steal anything.

It was the best of times.  :)
my dog likes to watch "Daniel Boone"

Written By: ralfy on 09/24/16 at 12:24 pm

"Family Affair" 50th anniversary. A tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgtNyPxm_Dw

Check for new replies or respond here...