inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Twilight Zone

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 1:12 am

I went back 44 out of 60 pages (Dec 2005) and didn't find this topic.... unless it's in more than a decade I don't think it's been covered on the boards...

So are you a fan???
Do you watch the marathon on Syfy every New Years?

Which eps stand out as classics that stand the test of time?

Which are your favorites?

Is there one you just have to watch every time it's on?

Subject: Re: Twilight Zone

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/14 at 3:37 am

Thanks partly to Family Guy, I really like this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 4:29 am

Thanks partly to Family Guy, I really like this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

aw that was the cruelest one ever....poor dude...  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 4:32 am

Hands down my fave eps are The Rip Van Winkle Caper,  The Ring-a-Ding Girl and The Silence  they all had classic Twilight Zone unique twists to them and they aren't as popular as say To Serve Man, Nightmare at 20,000 feet or Eye of the Beholder but I think they should be in counted among the top 20 of the 156 eps...

Written By: warped on 01/02/14 at 1:38 pm

Great TV show
I like the genre of the Twilight Zone, just as I enjoyed "Night gallery" too,
I liked Season 1 of the Twilight Zone the most.

Some of my favorite episodes are "Walking Distance", "What You Need", "And When the Sky Was Opened", "Time Enough at Last", "A most unusual camera" "Long Live Walter Jameson", "Nick of time" , "A Nice Place to Visit" and the 3 that Q mentioned above are great as well.

My 2 favorites have to be "Back There" (Man goes back in time when Lincoln was shot) and "The Odyssey of Flight 33" (plane breaks the time barrier a couple of times)

I have not seen them all yet (But I have seen Seasons 1 to 3 complete). These episodes certainly have influenced the way I think and have helped nurture my active imagination  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/14 at 1:56 pm

We have the entire show on DVD but haven't watched them all yet. So many good eps and many classics but I think my favorites are the Fugitive & I Sing the Body Electric (AKA The Electric Grandmother)-written by Ray Bradbury. Both are kind of heart felt stories rather than the macabre of most of the eps. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 8:50 pm

Great TV show
I like the genre of the Twilight Zone, just as I enjoyed "Night gallery" too,
I liked Season 1 of the Twilight Zone the most.

Some of my favorite episodes are "Walking Distance", "What You Need", "And When the Sky Was Opened", "Time Enough at Last", "A most unusual camera" "Long Live Walter Jameson", "Nick of time" , "A Nice Place to Visit" and the 3 that Q mentioned above are great as well.

My 2 favorites have to be "Back There" (Man goes back in time when Lincoln was shot) and "The Odyssey of Flight 33" (plane breaks the time barrier a couple of times)

I have not seen them all yet (But I have seen Seasons 1 to 3 complete). These episodes certainly have influenced the way I think and have helped nurture my active imagination  ;D

Walking Distance was great!  (a pre Back to the Future  :D )

I'm watching What You Need right now...because while the title is familiar I cannot recall the full ep

I'll be back to discuss the others in a bit

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 10:28 pm

What I Need... thanks warped... I guess I haven't seen this particular ep since I was in HS... it is a good one... now that I'm not distracted I can get back to responding to your post...

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 10:41 pm

"Time Enough at Last", "A most unusual camera" "Long Live Walter Jameson", "Nick of time" , "A Nice Place to Visit"

and the 3 that Q mentioned above are great as well.

as stated before... Time Enough to Last was a great one... torturously cruel because you're just rooting for him to finally get to settle down an enjoy the thing he loved most in the world!

A Most Unusual Camera.... those people were total dumbasses... no fate but what we make lol... by the end they knew the camera predicted the future...they should've acted a little more cautiously.....

Nick of time  ahhhh yes... the other William Shatner ep ....  that was a good one as well...

thank you for liking my fave eps O0

The Odyssey of Flight 33  -  this is the one where they see the dinosaurs from the plane right?  I always get this one confused (By title) with the one where the plane shows up empty.... (that ep is called The Arrival)

Now I have to go back and see if these are the ones I think they are...

Long Live Walter Jameson  (I vaguely remember this... I've only seen it once... )

Back There (Same with this one...)

A Nice Place to Visit  hmmm... I think I need to see this because i cannot recall it... 

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/14 at 10:43 pm

We have the entire show on DVD but haven't watched them all yet. So many good eps and many classics but I think my favorites are the Fugitive & I Sing the Body Electric (AKA The Electric Grandmother)-written by Ray Bradbury. Both are kind of heart felt stories rather than the macabre of most of the eps. 

Cat

I totally forgot about the Fugitive...

and I Sing the Body Electric nice choices...

Did Kick the Can do it for you as well? 

Written By: warped on 01/03/14 at 6:07 am

A Most Unusual Camera.... those people were total dumbasses... no fate but what we make lol... by the end they knew the camera predicted the future...they should've acted a little more cautiously.....

They just wanted a quick buck,  money. Greed

Nick of time  ahhhh yes... the other William Shatner ep ....  that was a good one as well...

I liked it more than nightmare at 20,000 feet, but it's close.

The Odyssey of Flight 33  -  this is the one where they see the dinosaurs from the plane right?  I always get this one confused (By title) with the one where the plane shows up empty.... (that ep is called The Arrival)

Yes, that's the one!

Long Live Walter Jameson  (I vaguely remember this... I've only seen it once... )

It's about someone who has lived a long time but doesn't age. Creepy ending though.

Back There (Same with this one...)

Someone thrown back in time tries to prevent Lincoln from being killed.

A Nice Place to Visit  hmmm... I think I need to see this because i cannot recall it...

Sebastion Cabot (Mr French) is in this one. He had to bleach his hair white for the role and it took three months for his hair to return to its original dark color.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/14 at 12:08 pm

I totally forgot about the Fugitive...

and I Sing the Body Electric nice choices...

Did Kick the Can do it for you as well?

Kick the Can was ok.

I just went though the IMDB of all the eps and these are the ones that I like:

-Probe 7, Over and Out.  That was about a guy who got stranded on another planet and he found a woman who is a sole survivor there.
-The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms. That the one where they go back in time to the Battle of Little Big Horn.
-The Bewitchin' Pool. Two kids escape to another world at the bottom of their swimming pool.
-Five Characters in Search of an Exit. 5 people find themselves in a room and don't know how they got there. Not going to say anymore for fear of giving away the "punchline."
-Little Girl Lost. This is the one where a girl gets "lost" inside the house. It sort of reminds me of the movie Poltergeist.
-The Invaders. This is the one with Agnes Morehead. She is being invaded by aliens that are small.
-Judgment Night. This guy finds himself on a ship in 1942 not knowing who he is but knows the ship is going to be attack.
-A Stop at Willoughby. Classic. A guy is on a train and the train stops at a place called Willoughby that looks very nice and inviting.
-Eye of the Beholder. Classic
-Two. With Elizabeth Montgomery.
-The Passersby. Another classic. The widower is sitting on her porch in the south during the Civil War and all these soldiers are passing by her house.
-Number 12 Looks Just Like You. Everyone assumes "beautiful" bodies but one girl wants to keep her own looks even though she is considered ugly.
-A Hundred Yards Over the Rim. A pioneer from a wagon train in 1847 sets off to find something for his ill son and stumbles into present day New Mexico.
-Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? A bus load of people at a stop over try to determine if one of them is a Martian.
-Cavender Is Coming. With Carol Burnett.
-The After Hours. A woman is at a department store after it is closed and finds a mannequin that looks just like a sales girl. 

There are more but those are the ones that I REALLY like.

One that I don't like was Living Doll AKA Talking Tina. I know it is a classic but it was just a bit too much for me.  And It's a Good Life. That is the one with the little boy (Bill Mumy) with powers. "Send him to the corn field."

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/14 at 8:13 pm

They just wanted a quick buck,  money. Greed

I'm talking about the last pic....when they learn there is more than one body on the ground... the woman goes and looks...and trips falling to her death as the 3rd body...then the dumbass bellman goes to the window to count the bodies and realizes there are three on the ground but 4 in the pic....plop...he falls to his death...  ::)

I liked it more than nightmare at 20,000 feet, but it's close.

I agree it is better than 20K Nightmare

It's about someone who has lived a long time but doesn't age. Creepy ending though.

Like the Cleopatra one "Queen of the Nile" but with a professor I think rather than an actress... gotcha...

Someone thrown back in time tries to prevent Lincoln from being killed.

Sebastion Cabot (Mr French) is in this one. He had to bleach his hair white for the role and it took three months for his hair to return to its original dark color.

I might get around to watching these tonight.

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/14 at 8:20 pm

Kick the Can was ok.

There are more but those are the ones that I REALLY like.

One that I don't like was Living Doll AKA Talking Tina. I know it is a classic but it was just a bit too much for me.  And It's a Good Life. That is the one with the little boy (Bill Mumy) with powers. "Send him to the corn field."

Cat

I think It's a Good Life was the first Twilight Zone ep I ever saw... I like it...  He's such a little innocent looking kid but they are all afraid of his bratty ass!  ;D

I just went though the IMDB of all the eps and these are the ones that I like:

-Probe 7, Over and Out.  That was about a guy who got stranded on another planet and he found a woman who is a sole survivor there.
-The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms. That the one where they go back in time to the Battle of Little Big Horn.
-The Bewitchin' Pool. Two kids escape to another world at the bottom of their swimming pool.
-Five Characters in Search of an Exit. 5 people find themselves in a room and don't know how they got there. Not going to say anymore for fear of giving away the "punchline."
-Little Girl Lost. This is the one where a girl gets "lost" inside the house. It sort of reminds me of the movie Poltergeist.
-The Invaders. This is the one with Agnes Morehead. She is being invaded by aliens that are small.
-Judgment Night. This guy finds himself on a ship in 1942 not knowing who he is but knows the ship is going to be attack.
-A Stop at Willoughby. Classic. A guy is on a train and the train stops at a place called Willoughby that looks very nice and inviting.
-Eye of the Beholder. Classic
-Two. With Elizabeth Montgomery.
-The Passersby. Another classic. The widower is sitting on her porch in the south during the Civil War and all these soldiers are passing by her house.
-Number 12 Looks Just Like You. Everyone assumes "beautiful" bodies but one girl wants to keep her own looks even though she is considered ugly.
-A Hundred Yards Over the Rim. A pioneer from a wagon train in 1847 sets off to find something for his ill son and stumbles into present day New Mexico.
-Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? A bus load of people at a stop over try to determine if one of them is a Martian.
-Cavender Is Coming. With Carol Burnett.
-The After Hours. A woman is at a department store after it is closed and finds a mannequin that looks just like a sales girl. 

Some good choices there... 

Will the Real Martian Please stand up should also be considered among the classic eps...but it's not...

I love After Hours

amazing when you think of them individually they are so great but when you see it writing you see so many similarities to other eps...  Number 12 and Eye of the Beholder could, basically, be the same episode...

One I forgot to mention is The Long Morrow....it is truly bittersweet...kind of like Gift of the Magi. where sacrifices are made for love and It's just so damn touching and heartbreaking at the same time

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/14 at 8:50 pm

My favourite episode was Nightmare at 20,000 Feet where William Shatner plays an airline passenger who sees a demon on the wing of the plane.
In the 1983 film Twilight Zone: The Movie, that segment was re-filmed with John Lithgow in the role.

A little slice of trivia:  In an episode of the 90s sitcom 3rd Rock From the Sun, Dick Solomon (Lithgow) is on an airplane and thinks he is going crazy when he sees a demon on the wing.  In a later episode, The Big Giant Head (Shatner) has a similar experience, and when he gets off the plane, he tells Dick about it, and Dick's response was "The same thing happened to me!".  That is a rare instance where an inside joke doubles as an inside joke

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/14 at 9:09 pm

My favourite episode was Nightmare at 20,000 Feet where William Shatner plays an airline passenger who sees a demon on the wing of the plane.
In the 1983 film Twilight Zone: The Movie, that segment was re-filmed with John Lithgow in the role.

A little slice of trivia:  In an episode of the 90s sitcom 3rd Rock From the Sun, Dick Solomon (Lithgow) is on an airplane and thinks he is going crazy when he sees a demon on the wing.  In a later episode, The Big Giant Head (Shatner) has a similar experience, and when he gets off the plane, he tells Dick about it, and Dick's response was "The same thing happened to me!".  That is a rare instance where an inside joke doubles as an inside joke

speaking of Trivia... in 2003 there was a rehash of Twilight Zone that features a sequel to It's a Good Life called It's Still a Good Life  starring Billy Mumy (again) as Anthony Fremont and his real life daughter Liliana Mumy as his tv daughter Audrey Fremont. Chloris Leachman also reprises her role as Anthony's mother. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8W_YFR6ZE

Written By: warped on 01/03/14 at 9:09 pm

I like all the episodes everyone has posted. All great choices.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/03/14 at 9:19 pm

http://mimg.ugo.com/201007/53610/cuts/sdcc-bif-bang-pow-twilight-zone-toys-5_480x640.jpghttp://disappearingidioms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Chatty-Cathy-201x300.jpg

Trivia Alert: Her name was actually "Talky Tina, and her voice actor was June Foray, who voiced the real-life "Chatty Cathy" doll.  (She doesn't like it when people get her name wrong.)

My personal favorite is The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street (a must for any post-9/11 viewer curious about the relevance of a 50-year old TV show), and I'll also throw in The Obsolete Man, Judgment Night, Time Enough At Last, Nightmare at 20,000 feet, and for obscurity, The Last Flight.

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/14 at 9:33 pm

My personal favorite is The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street (a must for any post-9/11 viewer curious about the relevance of a 50-year old TV show), and I'll also throw in The Obsolete Man, Judgment Night, Time Enough At Last, Nightmare at 20,000 feet, and for obscurity, The Last Flight.

good choices!

Written By: warped on 01/05/14 at 8:17 am

Are there any Twilight Zone episodes that you didn't like or scared the crap out of you?

Not for me, although I prefer some to others, I liked them all

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/14 at 11:47 am

http://mimg.ugo.com/201007/53610/cuts/sdcc-bif-bang-pow-twilight-zone-toys-5_480x640.jpghttp://disappearingidioms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Chatty-Cathy-201x300.jpg

Trivia Alert: Her name was actually "Talky Tina, and her voice actor was June Foray, who voiced the real-life "Chatty Cathy" doll.  (She doesn't like it when people get her name wrong.)

I didn't realize that June Foray was the voice of Chatty Cathy. As much as dolls are a part of my family's lives, you would think that I would know that. I'm sure my sister (the doll guru) would.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/14 at 7:43 pm

Are there any Twilight Zone episodes that you didn't like or scared the crap out of you?

Not for me, although I prefer some to others, I liked them all

There a few that are kind of lame. I just saw The Grave last night. It was  (surprisingly) new to me. I was bored

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/14 at 6:20 am

My favorite is the one with Burgess Meredith, "Time Enough At Last" in the end he is happy that the world is destroyed and he is alone because he will have the peace he needs to read all the books at the library, then he breaks his glasses and can't see.  I was thrilled to death when I read an interview with Serling and he said it was his favorite!

Check for new replies or respond here...