inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I feel 1964 was the greatest year ever in terms of new TV shows

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/17/14 at 2:22 pm

Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Peyton Place, The Munsters, Flipper, The Addams Family, Daniel Boone, the original Jeopardy!, Underdog, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. all got their TV starts in 1964 and I can't think of another list that could compare here. By this time, the Western was a still popular but starting to fade, mystery/drama shows were on the rise, and the sitcom was now the most popular genre on the tube. Escapism ruled, and with good effect millions flocked to escape the hassles of daily nights primetime. I also feel it was the first year in which ABC started to become competitive with NBC and CBS, especially with their Thursday night block. Excitement on an all-color future was also right around the corner with NBC becoming majority color that season and CBS/ABC switching over beginning the following year. Unlike some of the shows of the 1950s which were critically acclaimed for their time, I tend to find these shows more remembered upon by today's audiences and feel that their legacy will endure much longer. Combine that with the rise of the British Invasion, Motown, and surf music still being popular and it was a happening time. Today has its share of good shows and some will be remembered fondly, but the concentration of classics in terms of consistency will never match these classics.

Subject: Re: I feel 1964 was the greatest year ever in terms of new TV shows

Written By: gibbo on 01/17/14 at 7:46 pm

Yes ... a very good year (perhaps the best)!    :-\\  Also, I Dream of Jeannie started the year after Bewitched (in '65).

I think the following year (1965) also has a good case to be made. Here are some shows that started in 1965.

I Dream of Jeannie
Gidget
Get Smart
Hogan's Heroes
Green Acres
Lost in Space
F-Troop
The Big Valley (a western)

The big three western's were still going strong until the early 70's. Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and The Virginian. Also there were a number of good westerns that commenced in the years after ... such as, Laredo (1965), Iron Horse (1966), The Guns of Will Sonnett (1967). But, you were correct, the western was dying and they were shorter lived series.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/17/14 at 10:19 pm

I think y'all could be right. I grew up with alot of those shows as reruns in the 80s/90s and loved them! Especially Get Smart. Oh, I wanted to be Agent 99 so bad, and marry Robin from Batman.

Written By: warped on 01/18/14 at 4:10 pm

Yes ... a very good year (perhaps the best)!    :-\\  Also, I Dream of Jeannie started the year after Bewitched (in '65).

I think the following year (1965) also has a good case to be made. Here are some shows that started in 1965.

I Dream of Jeannie
Gidget
Get Smart
Hogan's Heroes
Green Acres
Lost in Space
F-Troop
The Big Valley (a western)

The big three western's were still going strong until the early 70's. Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and The Virginian. Also there were a number of good westerns that commenced in the years after ... such as, Laredo (1965), Iron Horse (1966), The Guns of Will Sonnett (1967). But, you were correct, the western was dying and they were shorter lived series.

Good point, gibbo. Some great shows there.

Check for new replies or respond here...