inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Beatles: 50 years ago

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/14 at 6:10 pm

I'm shocked no one has made a thread for this yet.

Shame. Shame on you all! May the wrath of thunder strike upon you all!  ;D ;D ;D

I bought their 1's album from 2000 in 2000, and was hooked ever since.

Subject: Re: The Beatles: 50 years ago

Written By: warped on 02/07/14 at 6:25 pm

I’m a huge Beatles fan, they are my favorite. I like them so much, that my 2nd favorite band/artists is miles behind them. No one has ever sounded like them.  They had magic.  They made great music, they were all witty and personable. John & Paul (to me) are the gods of rock and roll and the gods of pop music.

Their music is pretty much liked or loved by everyone.

They have the most #1 songs ever, and sold the 2nd most albums worldwide (after Elvis), and they did that basically in only a 7-year period.  Unmatched.

http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/assets/images/embedded/1000x595/2e76b29da002e58a18b357d85a67a91ae0a2392a.jpg

My parents always watched Ed Sullivan and I was in diapers when I saw them on Ed Sullivan 50 years ago., so I have no memory of it.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/16/20/43/16204370979b1654a305de4cc7d8090a.jpg

I could listen to the Beatles 24 hours a day & I’d be happy.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/14 at 6:33 pm

I’m a huge Beatles fan, they are my favorite. I like them so much, that my 2nd favorite band/artists is miles behind them. No one has ever sounded like them.  They had magic.  They made great music, they were all witty and personable. John & Paul (to me) are the gods of rock and roll and the gods of pop music.

Their music is pretty much liked or loved by everyone.

They have the most #1 songs ever, and sold the 2nd most albums worldwide (after Elvis), and they did that basically in only a 7-year period.  Unmatched.

http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/assets/images/embedded/1000x595/2e76b29da002e58a18b357d85a67a91ae0a2392a.jpg

My parents always watched Ed Sullivan and I was in diapers when I saw them on Ed Sullivan 50 years ago., so I have no memory of it.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/16/20/43/16204370979b1654a305de4cc7d8090a.jpg

I could listen to the Beatles 24 hours a day & I’d be happy.  :)

I don't believe the whole 'they sold 1 billion records' thingy, but I do believe they have sold more than ANYBODY in music history! The REAL sales is

1) The Beatles 400 million albums and singles worldwide
2) Elvis 330+ million records worldwide
3) Michael Jackson 310 to 320 million records worldwide

Written By: warped on 02/07/14 at 6:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgU6foVr-wY

Written By: warped on 02/07/14 at 6:46 pm

My parents didn't like the Beatles, or any rock and roll artists at all. They said all rock and roll artists are drug addicts, the girls prostitutes and they were all hoodlums and thieves, etc...    ::)

But when the music of the 80s and 90s came around, they told me that the Beatles and Elvis were fantastic and "miles above" any artist of those decades.  Once I tried playing a rap song to my mom, she hit me  ;D  She said music went downhill since the days of Sinatra and Bing Crosby, but at least over the last 10 years she can tolerate the Beatles and Elvis. 

At least I can say I watched them on Ed Sullivan that first night in Feb 1964. (while gagging on baby food  ;D ;D )

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/14 at 6:52 pm

My parents didn't like the Beatles, or any rock and roll artists at all. They said all rock and roll artists are drug addicts, the girls prostitutes and they were all hoodlums and thieves, etc...    ::)

But when the music of the 80s and 90s came around, they told me that the Beatles and Elvis were fantastic and "miles above" any artist of those decades.  Once I tried playing a rap song to my mom, she hit me  ;D  She said music went downhill since the days of Sinatra and Bing Crosby, but at least over the last 10 years she can tolerate the Beatles and Elvis. 

At least I can say I watched them on Ed Sullivan that first night in Feb 1964. (while gagging on baby food  ;D ;D )

Cool story about your parents' perspective!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/14 at 6:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgU6foVr-wY

I can tell from your avatar you like them!  ;D

Written By: warped on 02/07/14 at 7:04 pm

I can tell from your avatar you like them!  ;D

It's the first thing written in my high school yearbook, graduation year...below my picture. "Loves the Beatles"

Written By: snozberries on 02/07/14 at 11:04 pm

looking forward to the special CBS is airing Sunday...I have a friend who went to the concert - famous singers covering beatles songs-  he said it was 3 hours of great music....they managed to cut it down to a 90 min special  :-\\  still it should be good.

Written By: Paul on 02/08/14 at 3:02 am

I still don't rightly know how it happened, but I was bitten HARD just as I turned 13 (about six months prior to Lennon's murder, in fact!)

We had no records of theirs in the house, oddly - but one of my relatives had plenty and after a lot of cajoling, I was allowed to loan them! I vividly remember looking at the back of their first (British) LP going through the members' names thinking 'I've heard of these guys!' never once suspecting that they were all in a group together!

The old saying goes that they were greater than the sum of their parts...definitely true, in this case! A certain 13 year old thought so and never looked back...

Sadly, as this 50th anniversary milestone passes, will they start to eventually drift from the public's collective memory? I sure as hell hope not...

Given the benefit of hindsight, their phenomenal legacy will NEVER happen again...ever!

Written By: gibbo on 02/08/14 at 3:47 am

I remember flipping over the song 'Back in the USSR' when I heard it on the radio in the mid 70's. I loved it and wanted to find out who the band was. I was bowled over when I found it was not a new song and was from the Beatles!  I went and looked further into their repertoire after that.

I loved the 'Rubber Soul' album prior to that as my elder brother bought it.  I only discovered the joys of Revolver, Sgt Peppes and The White Album much, much later (all because of Back in the USSR)!

Written By: warped on 02/08/14 at 7:23 am

Sadly, as this 50th anniversary milestone passes, will they start to eventually drift from the public's collective memory? I sure as hell hope not...

I doubt people will forget the Beatles (or Elvis's music), ever. I have never met anyone (so far..in 50+ years) who hates Beatles music. Even my parents (born in the 1920s) grew to like some of their songs...and my parents cringe at most pop/rock music made since the mid 1950s. 

Written By: Paul on 02/08/14 at 7:46 am

I doubt people will forget the Beatles (or Elvis's music), ever. I have never met anyone (so far..in 50+ years) who hates Beatles music. Even my parents (born in the 1920s) grew to like some of their songs...and my parents cringe at most pop/rock music made since the mid 1950s.

You see, this is what worries me a bit - it's VERY rare, even on most oldies stations, to hear a pre-1960 recording by Elvis being played on a regular basis. The Beatles (at present) seem to be the 'ground zero' - nothing before appears to be relevant to the radio stations' ears - but how long will THAT continue?  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/14 at 7:49 am

sadly... before the beatles revival in the mid 90s I'd actually met a few people in the late 80s early 90s.... people who recently graduated High School (say 89-92) who had no idea who the beatles were... never heard their name nor their music...had it been just on person I would've considered it an anomaly but there were quite a few who fell into this category.  :-\\

Written By: warped on 02/08/14 at 7:55 am

sadly... before the beatles revival in the mid 90s I'd actually met a few people in the late 80s early 90s.... people who recently graduated High School (say 89-92) who had no idea who the beatles were... never heard their name nor their music...had it been just on person I would've considered it an anomaly but there were quite a few who fell into this category.  :-\\

That's interesting because I never met people who never heard of the Beatles (not counting pre-teens). Maybe it's a Canada thing.  ;D
Just like Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Sinatra...I think people will remember the Beatles.

Written By: warped on 02/08/14 at 8:08 am

You see, this is what worries me a bit - it's VERY rare, even on most oldies stations, to hear a pre-1960 recording by Elvis being played on a regular basis. The Beatles (at present) seem to be the 'ground zero' - nothing before appears to be relevant to the radio stations' ears - but how long will THAT continue?  :-\\

Even when oldies stations began popping up in the mid 1980s...you rarely heard "50s" songs. Most of the songs were 1963-64ish and after.  As you said "The Beatles (at present) seem to be the 'ground zero' - nothing before appears to be relevant to the radio stations' ears "  Been like that for 30 years already. How long will it continue? Don't know.

Paul McCartney is still out there, making albums and public appearances. His last album wasn't bad (even if his voice is shot to hell)  It will be interesting when Paul and Ringo pass away...after their names are out of the public eye...will you her less Beatles songs? Who knows...Elvis died 35+ years ago and you still hear his music. Ah..it's all speculation anyways.

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/14 at 8:14 am

That's interesting because I never met people who never heard of the Beatles (not counting pre-teens). Maybe it's a Canada thing.  ;D
Just like Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Sinatra...I think people will remember the Beatles.

Bach  (the candy?)
Beethoven (the giant dog in that movie?
Tchaikovsky  (who?)
Sinatra (Nancy, these boots were made for walking, Sinatra???)

:P

:D

Written By: warped on 02/08/14 at 8:17 am

Bach  (the candy?)
Beethoven (the giant dog in that movie?
Tchaikovsky  (who?)
Sinatra (Nancy, these boots were made for walking, Sinatra???)

:P

Yes!  ;D

Tchaikovsky  (who?)  -> Bram Tchaikovsky  (British singer, quasi popular late 70s early 80s) :D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/08/14 at 1:44 pm

looking forward to the special CBS is airing Sunday...I have a friend who went to the concert - famous singers covering beatles songs-  he said it was 3 hours of great music....they managed to cut it down to a 90 min special  :-\\  still it should be good.

That's cutting it in half!!  8)

Written By: Howard on 02/08/14 at 3:07 pm

It's the first thing written in my high school yearbook, graduation year...below my picture. "Loves the Beatles"

Did you like The Beatles when they broke up the band?

Written By: Howard on 02/08/14 at 3:10 pm

Paul McCartney is still out there, making albums and public appearances. His last album wasn't bad (even if his voice is shot to hell)  It will be interesting when Paul and Ringo pass away...after their names are out of the public eye...will you her less Beatles songs? Who knows...Elvis died 35+ years ago and you still hear his music. Ah..it's all speculation anyways.

The Beatles were a legacy and if they do pass away, let's hope the legacy continues.

Written By: Howard on 02/08/14 at 3:11 pm

Do you think The Beatles could've racked up a few more hits if they hadn't broken up in 1970? ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/14 at 3:22 pm

The Beatles were a legacy and if they do pass away, let's hope the legacy continues.

If they pass away? Two already have...but maybe the other two will last forever.  :D

Written By: warped on 02/08/14 at 3:30 pm

Not sure what you mean here. Did I still like them after they broke up? Yes

Do you think The Beatles could've racked up a few more hits if they hadn't broken up in 1970? ???

Since John, Paul, George and Ringo had quite a few songs in the top 40 during the 1970s (esp 1970 to 1975) ...umm..yes!
Wings was one of the more popular groups during the 1970s as well. Imagine adding John, George and Ringo to that.

There were points during the 1970s when each of them (all 4 of them) were in the top 40 at the same time. So...yes again!

Written By: Howard on 02/08/14 at 5:09 pm

If they pass away? Two already have...but maybe the other two will last forever.  :D

I'm saying if and when the time comes....

Written By: snozberries on 02/08/14 at 6:26 pm

I'm saying if and when the time comes....

I don't think if really applies here Howard. They will definitely die...eventually.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/08/14 at 6:46 pm

Ah, Bach!

Another M*A*S*H reference.

Written By: warped on 02/08/14 at 7:05 pm

Ah, Bach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYSG8AQO3tw

Written By: 80sfan on 02/08/14 at 10:19 pm

I agree. The earliest years they play on the radio now is the early 60s, maybe even not until the mid 60s.

What's funny is back in 1997 you could hear 1950s music everywhere on the oldies station in my city, now it's 70s and 80s music, but mostly 70s. Kinda scary!  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/08/14 at 11:33 pm

I Loved the Beatles since I was a little girl  :D

Here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9OD4ksZoU8

I was only an impressionable five year old then.  It's just not fair  ::)  ;)    ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/09/14 at 10:38 am

I recall being saddened by the whole "broke up" event.  It's as if they let us down.  :-\\

I recall feeling angry with them about it for a hot minute - until the ex-Beatles' solo efforts began to woo me back...  :-*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/14 at 12:32 pm

I don't think that there will ever be another band like the Beatles. To me, they were the greatest group/band EVER!!!! They have influenced music for the last 50 years and will probably influence it for the next 50 and probably beyond. And I do agree that their music will still be played centuries from now-just like Bach, Mozart, & the rest of the classical composers music is.

But, you can't talk about the Beatles without talking about THEIR influence-Buddy Holly. They even took their name from Buddy Holly's group-the Crickets.

BTW, I TOTALLY got the M*A*S*H reference. In fact, whenever I say Bach, I usually say it, "Ah, Bach," with the hand.  ;)

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/09/14 at 1:26 pm

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/12415880555_ca409ceae0_o.jpg

Written By: warped on 02/09/14 at 1:34 pm

I don't think that there will ever be another band like the Beatles. To me, they were the greatest group/band EVER!!!! They have influenced music for the last 50 years and will probably influence it for the next 50 and probably beyond. And I do agree that their music will still be played centuries from now-just like Bach, Mozart, & the rest of the classical composers music is.

Agreed.

They are the best band, musical act...ever for me as well. No one even comes close for me.  The Rolling Stones are a very distant 2nd for me.

The Beatles hit lightning in a bottle.  They were musical geniuses, and I can't say that about anyone since.  They could sing well, but were not the most talented singers ever. They were not the most talented guitar players ever, and they didn't have the most talented drummer ever. They just put everything together and made it sound so good. 

In junior pro sports when a player is that good, they move him (or her) up to a higher league. The Beatles belonged in a higher league.  A league of their own.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/14 at 1:38 pm

To me fate had a hand in them breaking up, and no I'm not talking about Yoko Ono.

I think had they lasted until 1980 they might have overstayed their welcome, I don't know. Their music might have been stale and gotten terrible by then.

I can see them lasting until 1975 though, but I'm too biased because I know they broke up in 1970. So it may be better they broke up, they left when they were still fresh and revered.

Written By: nally on 02/09/14 at 2:15 pm

Agreed.

They are the best band, musical act...ever for me as well. No one even comes close for me.  The Rolling Stones are a very distant 2nd for me.

The Beatles hit lightning in a bottle.  They were musical geniuses, and I can't say that about anyone since.  They could sing well, but were not the most talented singers ever. They were not the most talented guitar players ever, and they didn't have the most talented drummer ever. They just put everything together and made it sound so good. 

In junior pro sports when a player is that good, they move him (or her) up to a higher league. The Beatles belonged in a higher league.  A league of their own.

Absolutely. O0

btw, This morning I was listening to them on the radio, which played the audio from their broadcast on Ed Sullivan 50 yrs ago.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/14 at 2:24 pm

To me fate had a hand in them breaking up, and no I'm not talking about Yoko Ono.

I think had they lasted until 1980 they might have overstayed their welcome, I don't know. Their music might have been stale and gotten terrible by then.

I can see them lasting until 1975 though, but I'm too biased because I know they broke up in 1970. So it may be better they broke up, they left when they were still fresh and revered.

Look at the Stones. They are STILL touring to sold out crowds. Sir Paul is still going strong. You don't think the Beatles would still have their magic? I think their music would have evolved just like it did from when they first entered the scene to when they broke up. Who knows in what direction it would have gone in if they remained together.

I find it interesting how their music AFTER the Beatles, reflect on that time:

George's tribute to John:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqNLL3-CToE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsyfvYyxjp8

Ringo's tribute to George:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PjnOdHq-T8

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/09/14 at 3:05 pm

I agree. The earliest years they play on the radio now is the early 60s, maybe even not until the mid 60s.

What's funny is back in 1997 you could hear 1950s music everywhere on the oldies station in my city, now it's 70s and 80s music, but mostly 70s. Kinda scary!  :-\\

just like WCBS-FM a long time ago they played oldies from the 1950s era and now they're playing more 1980's.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/14 at 3:08 pm

I Loved the Beatles since I was a little girl  :D

Here's why:

I was only an impressionable five year old then.  It's just not fair  ::)  ;)    ;D

Who did the voices for the cartoon?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/09/14 at 3:10 pm

I recall being saddened by the whole "broke up" event.  It's as if they let us down.  :-\\

I recall feeling angry with them about it for a hot minute - until the ex-Beatles' solo efforts began to woo me back...  :-*

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070711041424/beatles/images/7/7b/Let_it_be.jpg

Wasn't this their last album?

Written By: Howard on 02/09/14 at 3:11 pm

The Beatles if they had stayed together, could've made some disco music.

Written By: warped on 02/09/14 at 3:19 pm

Beatles...disco music?  (gags to death.....)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b30da8726527766d1f6b7e3778c70286/tumblr_mj5823ohgL1ru74s4o1_500.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/14 at 3:46 pm

NO

Written By: Katluver on 02/09/14 at 3:47 pm

Are you kidding?! That would have destroyed them!

Written By: annimal on 02/09/14 at 4:14 pm

I'm too busy listening to the Beetles on my sterio to type this

Written By: Howard on 02/09/14 at 4:14 pm

Beatles...disco music?  (gags to death.....)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b30da8726527766d1f6b7e3778c70286/tumblr_mj5823ohgL1ru74s4o1_500.jpg

Yeah I guess you're right, it wouldn't sound good.

Written By: snozberries on 02/09/14 at 4:48 pm

Howard's got a point....a disco version of come together could've worked.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/14 at 7:46 pm

Look at the Stones. They are STILL touring to sold out crowds. Sir Paul is still going strong. You don't think the Beatles would still have their magic? I think their music would have evolved just like it did from when they first entered the scene to when they broke up. Who knows in what direction it would have gone in if they remained together.

I find it interesting how their music AFTER the Beatles, reflect on that time:

George's tribute to John:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqNLL3-CToE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsyfvYyxjp8

Ringo's tribute to George:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PjnOdHq-T8

Cat

Maybe they would've still had their magic. Who knows.  :P :P

Written By: warped on 02/09/14 at 9:36 pm

Sacrilege!!!  :D

Written By: gibbo on 02/09/14 at 9:41 pm

You never know! But, generally, .... NO!

I heard an Earth, Wind and Fire version of " I've Got To Get You Into My Life" ... and it wasn't too bad at all.

Written By: warped on 02/09/14 at 9:46 pm

You never know! But, generally, .... NO!

I heard an Earth, Wind and Fire version of " I've Got To Get You Into My Life" ... and it wasn't too bad at all.

oh god I hated that version, I thought it was the shyts.
Sorry gibbo.  :-\\

Then again, I don't really like Earth wind and fires stuff.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/14 at 11:52 pm

I would rather The Beatles take a break 1976 to 1980, then come back circa 1981, better than Disco Beatles!  8-P 8-P

Written By: Katluver on 02/10/14 at 4:20 am

I would rather The Beatles take a break 1976 to 1980, then come back circa 1981, better than Disco Beatles!  8-P 8-P

lol, i'm still trying to imagine how they would make disco hits. perhaps use older hits like "i want to hold your head" with chimes added in----lol!  :D

anyway, i've got to agree that i like listening to the beatles myself. i normally don't buy cd's anymore except for the beatles. and i'll probably start buying the old original records once i finally get a record player...

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 6:55 am

But the thing is, how would it sound? It probably would have to be upbeat.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 7:01 am

Funky Beatles!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 7:03 am

lol, i'm still trying to imagine how they would make disco hits. perhaps use older hits like "i want to hold your head" with chimes added in----lol!

Kat, don't forget the funky trumpet.

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 7:11 am

Howard, adding "Funk" or "Disco" to Beatles music would be like spraying the Mona Lisa with mustard and ketchup.
Totally ruins and wrecks it.

Anyone watch the film "A hard days night"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70QfHtKdh_0

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 7:20 am

There were lots of great rock albums done between 1976-80, it wasn't all disco. As I mentioned in other threads, pretty much everyone at my high school totally despised disco...and I was in high school during disco's peak years.  People liked disco at my school as much as people on inthe00s like Bieber. It's true.

Disco almost destroyed rock music. I recently watched a video (history of rock and roll, maybe?) where lots of 70s music artists just totally thrashed disco music, they hated disco with a passion. They all said disco sucked, no creativity, no talent required, no instrumentation, just that same annoying beat repeated in a zillion other disco songs.

The only way the Beatles would have even considered doing a disco song, was if John found some way to totally make fun of it. But even that is a stretch.

Written By: Paul on 02/10/14 at 7:24 am

Who did the voices for the cartoon?  ???

I can't recall off-hand (the net should be able to tell you), but the attempts (especially John's) were terrible!

Quelle horreur!

Dig out your copy of Starsound/Stars On 45/whatever they were called and imagine the car crash for yourself...

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070711041424/beatles/images/7/7b/Let_it_be.jpg

Wasn't this their last album?

The last officially released album when the group existed...yes. But not the last one recorded - that was 'Abbey Road'. 'Let It Be' was held up for months due to bitter disputations within the group (see the film for the whole sorry story) - given these circumstances, it's a wonder 'Abbey Road' ever got recorded at all!

'Let It Be' did have some overdubs recorded after 'Abbey Road', but that can't count as an entire LP...

Written By: Paul on 02/10/14 at 7:26 am

The Beatles were the sixties - they provided the soundtrack! Best that things came to a natural (if bitter) end when they did...

Written By: Howard on 02/10/14 at 8:10 am

Dig out your copy of Starsound/Stars On 45/whatever they were called and imagine the car crash for yourself...

I loved Stars On 45.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/10/14 at 1:28 pm

Funky Beatles!  ;D

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/10/14 at 1:32 pm

There were lots of great rock albums done between 1976-80, it wasn't all disco. As I mentioned in other threads, pretty much everyone at my high school totally despised disco...and I was in high school during disco's peak years.  People liked disco at my school as much as people on inthe00s like Bieber. It's true.

Disco almost destroyed rock music. I recently watched a video (history of rock and roll, maybe?) where lots of 70s music artists just totally thrashed disco music, they hated disco with a passion. They all said disco sucked, no creativity, no talent required, no instrumentation, just that same annoying beat repeated in a zillion other disco songs.

The only way the Beatles would have even considered doing a disco song, was if John found some way to totally make fun of it. But even that is a stretch.

Good thing it didn't!  8)

Written By: annimal on 02/10/14 at 2:29 pm

love love them do    and par o dy through

Written By: whistledog on 02/10/14 at 3:12 pm

Disco Beatles actually already proved successful.  It wasn't the actual Beatles, but good sound-a-likes from Holland and it swept the globe ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bGQ1-Gmoso

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 3:20 pm

Disco Beatles actually already proved successful.  It wasn't the actual Beatles, but good sound-a-likes from Holland and it swept the globe ...
Stars on 45.

The first 2 times I heard that song, I didn't mind it. I found it cute. The next 3647 times I heard that song, I turned the radio dial.  :D

Now Paul did have a song called "Goodnight tonight" which was disco, 1979 I think it was. Good base line. Paul was cashing in on disco like other rock and roll artists of the time. It's one of the disco songs I don't dislike. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/14 at 3:33 pm

For some strange odd reason, I have had the song "Fixing A Hole" in my head for the past week or so. Hmmm, I wonder why.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 3:45 pm

For some strange odd reason, I have had the song "Fixing A Hole" in my head for the past week or so. Hmmm, I wonder why.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Soon, there will be stuff "Here, there and everywhere" and if the door lock  doesn't work, hope it won't be "She came in through the bathroom window". And when you get the bill for this, it won't be "taxman" and by the time you move in, it won't be "When I'm 64"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/14 at 4:28 pm

Soon, there will be stuff "Here, there and everywhere" and if the door lock  doesn't work, hope it won't be "She came in through the bathroom window". And when you get the bill for this, it won't be "taxman" and by the time you move in, it won't be "When I'm 64"

When we do move, I won't be saying, "She's Leaving Home" but will be saying, "There's A Place" and "When I get Home." On moving day, we have to Carry That Weight With A Little Help From My Friends. I know by the end of the day I am going to say, "I'm So Tired" but it would just be a Day In The Life.

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/10/14 at 6:53 pm

When we do move, I won't be saying, "She's Leaving Home" but will be saying, "There's A Place" and "When I get Home." On moving day, we have to Carry That Weight With A Little Help From My Friends. I know by the end of the day I am going to say, "I'm So Tired" but it would just be a Day In The Life.

Cat

She said, she said. I dig it, The end.

I think Cat and I just conjugated the Beatles.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/10/14 at 10:06 pm

Are you kidding?! That would have destroyed them!

http://beatlesblogger.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/beatles-discomania-front.jpg

Just kidding, it's a 50-year commemorative biography ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 3:47 am

I'm shocked no one has made a thread for this yet.
I was not available to make this subject as a topic, for I was away from all froms of computers over the last few days. I did see reports on the news.

I was too young to appreciate The Beatles ( only like the music they sang and played) and since then I always thought it was Yoko Ono that broke up The Beatles. The film "Let It Be" provides some glimpses into would lead to the Beatles' break-up.

Written By: Paul on 02/11/14 at 6:15 am

Now Paul did have a song called "Goodnight tonight" which was disco, 1979 I think it was. Good base line. Paul was cashing in on disco like other rock and roll artists of the time. It's one of the disco songs I don't dislike.

Yes, tapping shamelessly into the disco thing as a few rock acts did at the time, but worthwhile - I think this was among the last batch of releases under the Wings name.

(Let's ignore what came next - 'Wonderful Christmastime', indeed!)

He went even further left-field the following year with 'McCartney II' - incorporating new wave into the mix - and apparently inspiring Lennon to record again - too bad he slipped back into mediocrity with 'Tug Of War' after that...

Written By: Paul on 02/11/14 at 6:19 am

It wasn't the actual Beatles, but good sound-a-likes from Holland and it swept the globe ...

And inspired by Canada! I'll never let you forget this!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 6:25 am

Yes, tapping shamelessly into the disco thing as a few rock acts did at the time, but worthwhile - I think this was among the last batch of releases under the Wings name.

(Let's ignore what came next - 'Wonderful Christmastime', indeed!)

He went even further left-field the following year with 'McCartney II' - incorporating new wave into the mix - and apparently inspiring Lennon to record again - too bad he slipped back into mediocrity with 'Tug Of War' after that...
Ignoring "Mull of Kintyre" too!

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 6:28 am

;D

I think if The Beatles added the word "funky" to their name they would probably think of it as an insult. Anyone agree?

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 6:31 am

Was it popular in the U.S.?

Written By: Paul on 02/11/14 at 6:38 am

Reasonably...#1, I think!

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 6:45 am

I think if The Beatles added the word "funky" to their name they would probably think of it as an insult. Anyone agree?

I think if any band added the word "funky" to their name, it would probably be an insult.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 02/11/14 at 1:33 pm

Like Paul said, it was a #1 hit in the US, so I am not surprised you do not recognize it :D:D :P

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 7:22 pm

Reasonably...#1, I think!

I think the song was popular in 1981?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 7:23 pm

Like Paul said, it was a #1 hit in the US, so I am not surprised you do not recognize it :D:D :P

I recognize it.

Written By: nally on 02/11/14 at 7:23 pm

I think the song was popular in 1981?  ???

Yep, I believe it was.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/14 at 1:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bGQ1-Gmoso

http://i.imgur.com/N769f7Q.jpg

ePHpxFI1xWE
  - DBM's Discobeatlemania, aka "The Beatles Go Disco", 1977, beat the Stars on 45 by four years.

I knew I was googling the wrong thing last night but was so pleased with the accidental result that I posed it anyways. My brain was actually working tonight, and although I was somewhat terrified of what would happen when I listened to this track, I can safely declare it pretty damn catchy. Any Beatles fan who sorta enjoyed the Stars on 45 experience of listening to a dozen songs in a few minutes should find something to sorta enjoy in this. It's a worthy predecessor to the Stars and has to be one of the earliest megamixes/remixes created, even though they're covering the songs rather than sampling them.

Written By: Paul on 02/12/14 at 5:34 am

- DBM's Discobeatlemania, aka "The Beatles Go Disco", 1977, beat the Stars on 45 by four years.

I knew I was googling the wrong thing last night but was so pleased with the accidental result that I posed it anyways. My brain was actually working tonight, and although I was somewhat terrified of what would happen when I listened to this track, I can safely declare it pretty damn catchy. Any Beatles fan who sorta enjoyed the Stars on 45 experience of listening to a dozen songs in a few minutes should find something to sorta enjoy in this. It's a worthy predecessor to the Stars and has to be one of the earliest megamixes/remixes created, even though they're covering the songs rather than sampling them.

Miniscule hit for us in Britain - even I don't recall ever hearing it!

The previous year, the Beatles' back catalogue was repromoted, but I don't know whether that had a bearing on this being concocted -  I think it may have done much better on the continent, Henk should be able to tell us...

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 6:39 am

This song is great.

Written By: warped on 02/12/14 at 6:59 am

Moving away from the **facepalm** of disco Beatles.

Many of the Beatles songs were about love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-pFAFsTFTI

It was first performed by the Beatles on Our World, the first live global television link. Watched by over 150 million in 26 countries, the programme was broadcast via satellite on 25 June 1967.

Written By: Paul on 02/12/14 at 9:44 am

And even if they weren't, they still managed to sound...well, just about as awesome as a non-love song could get!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xL1ffMlzKY

Jaw-dropping (Ringo's laconic drumming, especially!) Just think, not four years had passed since 'Love Me Do'!

It was first performed by the Beatles on Our World, the first live global television link. Watched by over 150 million in 26 countries, the programme was broadcast via satellite on 25 June 1967.

Two days before I came into this world - what an entrance!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/14 at 10:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-pFAFsTFTI

My parents let me stay up to watch that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/14 at 11:01 am

One of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4zaofnVhps

Sir Paul was just totally stoned in this video.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/14 at 6:41 pm

I love 'Let it Be'.  In 1987, Paul recorded a new version of it with a host of then popular UK singers under the name Ferry Aid as a charity single to aid victims' families of the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster.  It was a really good version, one of my favourite cover songs (though can it be considered a cover song as Paul appears on it?) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Y-2m-HQRM

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 7:26 pm

this song is great.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 7:29 pm

One of my favorites:

Sir Paul was just totally stoned in this video.

Cat

Is that why he grew his facial hair?

Written By: warped on 02/12/14 at 7:29 pm

Some of John's humor.  He was a character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQa4fM-fPQ

Written By: warped on 02/12/14 at 7:31 pm

Is that why he grew his facial hair?

Are saying that Paul grew facial hair because he was baked?

Written By: nally on 02/12/14 at 7:32 pm

Hee hee! :D

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 8:25 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 8:25 pm

Are saying that Paul grew facial hair because he was baked?

Yes.

Written By: warped on 02/12/14 at 8:30 pm

Yes.

Let me ask you this then: Do you think men in general grow  facial hair because they are stoned?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/14 at 1:10 am

Let me ask you this then: Do you think men in general grow  facial hair because they are stoned?

No, I have facial hair and I am not stoned!

Written By: warped on 02/13/14 at 6:14 am

No, I have facial hair and I am not stoned!

Exactly! But I was waiting for an explanation from Howard, because I don't understand what he meant.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/14 at 7:09 am

No,I was just thinking maybe cause he was lazy and tired.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/14 at 11:37 am

Once again, I have a facial hair and I am not lazy and tired!

Written By: Paul on 02/13/14 at 12:48 pm

I'm lazy and tired and am clean shaven!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/14 at 1:42 pm

I'm lazy and tired and am clean shaven!

Me, too.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/13/14 at 2:14 pm

It was just an observation.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/14 at 2:17 pm

http://cdn3.openculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/beatles_rooftop.jpg

Who remembers The Rooftop Concert? And why did the police have to stop them? ???

Written By: warped on 02/13/14 at 2:47 pm

http://cdn3.openculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/beatles_rooftop.jpg

Who remembers The Rooftop Concert? And why did the police have to stop them? ???

because the police had a message in a bottle to give to the Beatles that they were the next band up.

Seriously... It was because of noise disturbance and potential traffic nightmare and chaos when people found out they were performing there.

Written By: warped on 02/13/14 at 2:56 pm

My favorite period for music was from about 1966 until disco came. You can probably make a case that many of the great rock and roll songs of that period ( and all time) were written or created while the rock star was stoned, baked... Whatever you want to call it.  Pot will relax you but also make you giggly, creative and ... Have the munchies... And write creative rock and roll songs too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/14 at 3:24 pm

My favorite period for music was from about 1966 until disco came. You can probably make a case that many of the great rock and roll songs of that period ( and all time) were written or created while the rock star was stoned, baked... Whatever you want to call it.  Pot will relax you but also make you giggly, creative and ... Have the munchies... And write creative rock and roll songs too.

You sound that you know that from personal experience.  ;)

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/13/14 at 4:05 pm

You sound that you know that from personal experience.  ;)

Cat

Nah, I think I read that from Marie Osmond's website, right beside her demonstration video of "How to do heroin 8-balls with a crack pipe."

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 7:12 am

because the police had a message in a bottle to give to the Beatles that they were the next band up.

Seriously... It was because of noise disturbance and potential traffic nightmare and chaos when people found out they were performing there.

But couldn't they have performed in an inside venue like Madison Square Garden, that way they wouldn't have caused a disturbance?

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 7:13 am

Nah, I think I read that from Marie Osmond's website, right beside her demonstration video of "How to do heroin 8-balls with a crack pipe."

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/25/14 at 12:09 am

...and dragging us **RIGHT BACK DOWN TO HELL AGAIN**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTzTQgsS-4

- Raffaella Carra, The Beatles - Hits Medley, ca. 1978

Shocking the Vatican, Italian dancer Raffaella Carra was the first television figure to show her belly button on camera.  She also did this on Italian TV in 1978, shocking every Beatles fan for the next 35 years.  I have no idea if it ever made it to vinyl. 

Come for the WTF, stay for the first three minutes in where the guys with inappropriately-located elephant costumes sing O-bla-di... and resign your mind to the next four minutes and whatever comes next, this medley makes I Am The Eggman make perfect sense by comparison. 

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 7:55 am

Let's say for example if The Beatles were around in the 80's, how would their style of music sound like?

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 7:58 am

Raffaella Carra, The Beatles - Hits Medley, ca. 1978

I like it.  :)

Written By: warped on 02/25/14 at 8:04 am

Let's say for example if The Beatles were around in the 80's, how would their style of music sound like?

I have two opinions on this.

1) It's very hard to say because their music changed/evolved all the time. Look at "She loves you" and "I wanna hold you hand" from 1963.  Look at "Tomorrow never knows" which was remarkably different, just 3 years later in 1966. Look at "Revoltuyion" or "Helter Skelter" just 2 years after that (1968). Their music changed so much.

2) Their music in 1980 would sound a little like John Lennon's "Double fantasy" in 1980 (Songs like "Starting over, Woman, Watching the wheels"), mixed in with some stuff with McCartney II from 1980 (Coming up, waterfalls) and Back to the egg by Wings (1979) Songs like "Getting Closer" and "Arrow through me"

Written By: warped on 02/25/14 at 8:06 am

- Raffaella Carra, The Beatles - Hits Medley, ca. 1978

Yeah, that was terrible  ;D  People who put Beatles music into disco versions need to have nasty thing happen to them. They must be punished for the horror they created.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 4:04 pm

Yeah, that was terrible  ;D  People who put Beatles music into disco versions need to have nasty thing happen to them. They must be punished for the horror they created.

I thought it was kind of clever.

Written By: Katluver on 02/27/14 at 6:53 pm

Speaking of disco, Paul McCartney did have a few hits that had a bit of a disco/funk sound including:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRT3V-q_gBI
(the audio's a little off so it's not coming off so clearly)

Written By: Paul on 02/28/14 at 5:38 am

Saints preserve us...

Shocking the Vatican, Italian dancer Raffaella Carra was the first television figure to show her belly button on camera.  She also did this on Italian TV in 1978, shocking every Beatles fan for the next 35 years.  I have no idea if it ever made it to vinyl. 

To my eyes, it looks like a TV-only skit (thank heaven!) and I shouldn't think anyone would dare let it loose on the public, but such was the Fabs' legacy that this kind of thing was probably more common than we remember. The only other thing I could think of that would be worse would be Lawrence Welk trying to 'get with it' and doing the same sort of thing!  ('Helter Skelter' accordion freakout, anyone?)

(James Last, on the other hand, is uber-cool and when he does something like this, you can 'feel' the cheese!)

Come for the WTF, stay for the first three minutes in where the guys with inappropriately-located elephant costumes sing O-bla-di... and resign your mind to the next four minutes and whatever comes next, this medley makes I Am The Eggman make perfect sense by comparison.

I came, I saw, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...never mind the Vatican, how did that 'elephant' scene ever get past the censors?  :o

Written By: Paul on 02/28/14 at 5:44 am

No one will ever know for sure and that's how it should be!

Popular opinion normally states that ELO's early stuff (from the early 70s) was intended to pick up the baton where 'I Am The Walrus' left off. Good as ELO was, I can never quite envisage them as Beatles' copyists.

Written By: warped on 02/28/14 at 12:04 pm

Nice site for Beatles fans

"Today in Beatles history"

http://beatles-history.blogspot.ca/2010/02/feb-28-today-in-beatles-history.html

Written By: Howard on 02/28/14 at 3:31 pm

No one will ever know for sure and that's how it should be!

You definitely have a point there Paul.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/14 at 3:32 pm

very interesting.

Written By: Paul on 02/28/14 at 6:20 pm

Another one in more or less the same vein...

http://www.beatlesbible.com/

It wouldn't surprise me if someone eventually comes up with a site with such info as, 'Ringo went to the toilet on this day in...'  ::)

But once again, such is the power of their legacy, still resounding after all these years!

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/28/14 at 11:12 pm

I came, I saw, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...never mind the Vatican, how did that 'elephant' scene ever get past the censors?  :o

It was Italy.  Their censors were lax even by European standards. Meanwhile, in America...

THE WTF MYSTERY TOUR IS COMING TO TAKE YOU AWAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmOvoqlmZE
  - Rolling Stone, A Day in the Decade, 1977

Glitter, neon, some frickin' lasers, meditating hippies in fields of psychedelic strawberries, Richard Nixon, and a seizure-inducing birthday ending featuring the predecessors of breakdancing moves.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/14 at 3:23 pm

It was Italy.  Their censors were lax even by European standards. Meanwhile, in America...

THE WTF MYSTERY TOUR IS COMING TO TAKE YOU AWAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmOvoqlmZE
  - Rolling Stone, A Day in the Decade, 1977

Glitter, neon, some frickin' lasers, meditating hippies in fields of psychedelic strawberries, Richard Nixon, and a seizure-inducing birthday ending featuring the predecessors of breakdancing moves.

This was pretty good.

Written By: warped on 03/02/14 at 9:02 pm

For Beatles enthusiasts. If you are familiar with most of side two of Abbey Road called "The Abbey Road Medley", Here's only the "vocal" part from it.
I enjoyed it.

The Beatles - Abbey Road (Medley)  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAdX4O1m4M

Written By: Howard on 03/05/14 at 6:23 am

Was it true that Yoko was responsible for The Beatles breaking up?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/14 at 12:24 pm

I would say that she was one of the factors. There were several things going on and Yoko's presence didn't make things any easier.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/14 at 12:30 pm

I was too young to appreciate The Beatles ( only like the music they sang and played) and since then I always thought it was Yoko Ono that broke up The Beatles. The film "Let It Be" provides some glimpses into would lead to the Beatles' break-up.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/14 at 7:10 pm

I would say that she was one of the factors. There were several things going on and Yoko's presence didn't make things any easier.

Cat

maybe it was her screaming?

Written By: warped on 03/05/14 at 7:10 pm

No. But like Cat said, lots of factors involved

There was tension in the band. It started after Brian Epstein died in 1967. The Beatles went to India. John & George stayed longer, Ringo & Paul left earlier. From 1967-1970, they weren't in the studio always at the same time recording songs. When it came to selecting a new manager (after Epstein died) , 3 of the Beatles wanted Allen Klein. Paul wanted Lee Eastman (his father in law)

They were getting older too, getting wives, wanting to start families.... John was spending time with Yoko and she was always around.  Paul was very controlling and demanding in the studio when they made records, which you could see in the "Let it be" film Philip mentioned.  Lots of factors involved.

Written By: warped on 03/27/14 at 1:43 pm

Lennon/McCartney did get together again to perform in 1974..with others stars (such as Stevie Wonder, Harry Nilsson)

It's just a unrehearsed jam, not planned really.  John was on something..maybe more things than just something...lol
This is part one. Not much there worth listening too, I'm afraid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0n-ahD8TUw

Written By: Paul on 03/28/14 at 5:17 am

Lennon/McCartney did get together again to perform in 1974..with others stars (such as Stevie Wonder, Harry Nilsson)

It's just a unrehearsed jam, not planned really.  John was on something..maybe more things than just something...lol
This is part one. Not much there worth listening too, I'm afraid.

The fabled 'Get Back' tapes were pretty much like this too - yet when they were first unleashed onto slavering bootleggers, they all pretty much wet themselves!

Best not to remember them this way...

Written By: warped on 03/28/14 at 1:47 pm

The fabled 'Get Back' tapes were pretty much like this too - yet when they were first unleashed onto slavering bootleggers, they all pretty much wet themselves!

Best not to remember them this way...

Not sure if those tapes are the same as (or part of what went into) the 'Let it be" film. Not a pleasant film to watch. You could tell something wasn't quite right. I think i saw the film in 1979 (and that's a guess) and yeah...best not to remember them this way.

Written By: Paul on 03/28/14 at 2:49 pm

Not sure if those tapes are the same as (or part of what went into) the 'Let it be" film. Not a pleasant film to watch. You could tell something wasn't quite right. I think i saw the film in 1979 (and that's a guess) and yeah...best not to remember them this way.

Yes, they were...literally everything was filmed and recorded in those early 1969 sessions - day after painful day! But things were just SO strained by then, that it was pretty obvious things weren't going to work. The tapes themselves, although fascinating, are nothing but half-baked ideas, jams and attempted oldies singalongs. Quite how they pulled 'Abbey Road' out of the hat after this debacle is nothing short of incredible!

But then, that just shows everyone what legends they were!

Written By: Howard on 03/28/14 at 3:19 pm

How was the film?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/14 at 2:39 am

How was the film?
It has been some while since I have seen the film. Seeing the songs being sung was interesting but the whole film has the underlying of sadness.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/14 at 4:38 am

April 4th 1964 – The Beatles occupy the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.

Written By: nally on 04/04/14 at 12:36 pm

April 4th 1964 – The Beatles occupy the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.

Amazing!!

Those songs, in order, btw, from 1 through 5:

Can't Buy Me Love
Twist And Shout
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Please Please Me

Written By: Howard on 04/04/14 at 3:15 pm

wow, that's great! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/14 at 6:16 am

April 5th 1964 - The Beatles filmed the opening sequence for A Hard Day's Night on this day at London's Marylebone Station.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/14 at 2:03 am

April 23rd 1964

The Beatles started filming "A Hard Day's Night" at Thornbury Fields in Isleworth, London.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10295737_10152361704759539_9029789222329006739_n.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/24/14 at 7:00 am

April 23rd 1964

The Beatles started filming "A Hard Day's Night" at Thornbury Fields in Isleworth, London.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10295737_10152361704759539_9029789222329006739_n.jpg

Are they playing football?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/14 at 7:03 am

They are running on an athletic track. The football here is different to your football.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/14 at 7:07 am

April 23rd 1964

They are running on an athletic track. The football here is different to your football.
Check the video at 1:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=venzPNvge18

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/14 at 7:08 am

"Sorry we hurt your field mister!"

Written By: Katluver on 04/24/14 at 4:52 pm

Check the video at 1:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=venzPNvge18

Love that video!

Written By: Howard on 04/24/14 at 5:44 pm

I saw it, thanks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/14 at 2:54 pm

April 29th 1964:

Morning. Photographic session with Beatles' wax figures at Madame Tussaud's.
Evening. Concert in Edinburgh.

Written By: Paul on 04/29/14 at 4:36 pm

April 23rd 1964

Although the film itself amounts to nothing as such, it WAS groundbreaking in a way...if you've seen some filmic attempts by some previous British pop stars prior to this, you'll soon see why! Terry Dene, Cliff Richard, et al very much based their performances on the US model - the idea of AHDN was basically to show off the Fabs' sense of humour, which it did to a degree...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 6:52 am

May 13th 1964

'Please Please Me' LP, 60th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart).
'With The Beatles', 25th week in the Top 30 (UK New Musical Express chart).
'Can't Buy Me Love', 8th week in the Top 30 (UK New Musical Express chart).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/14 at 2:29 am

May 14th 1964:

Arlington Road (at Rosslyn Road), St Margaret's, Twickenham, Middlesex. Shooting for 'A Hard Day's Night': traffic jam scene (deleted from film).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/14 at 2:02 am

May 20th 1964

'Please Please Me' LP, 61st and last week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart).
'With The Beatles', 26th week in the Top 30 (UK New Musical Express chart).
'Can't Buy Me Love', 9th and last week in the Top 30 (UK New Musical Express chart).

Recording of BBC Light Programme 'Let's Find Out'. Brian answers teenager's questions.
Evening: Brian appears on Southern TV programme 'For Art's Sake'.

Long Distance Films Limited, film production company, is incorporated, with Brian one of its opening directors, alongside Tony Richardson, Karel Reisz and other important film industry moguls.

Written By: hot_wax on 05/29/14 at 1:02 am

This is a nice fun movie on how it was like when the Beatles came to NYC for their first time in the USA to do a live show on Ed Sullivan Show. What's strange about the story behind the show is that 90% of this story is what happen to my friends that night,as if they sold their story and made this movie about it, even locations mentioned are very close to the actual locations in real life. If you can rent it, do so, it's so on target with how us kids were at that time and night with the Beatles in the 60's.

Written By: hot_wax on 05/29/14 at 1:11 am

This is a nice fun movie on how it was like when the Beatles came to NYC for their first time in the USA to do a live show on Ed Sullivan Show. What's strange about the story behind the show is that 90% of this story is what happen to my friends that night,as if they sold their story and made this movie about it, even locations mentioned are very close to the actual locations in real life. If you can rent it, do so, it's so on target with how us kids were at that time and night with the Beatles in the 60's.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 7:42 am

I didn't know there was a film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 7:48 am

I know of the film, it was produced by Steven Spielberg, and is one I have still yet to see.

Written By: warped on 05/29/14 at 1:07 pm

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/225/3/4/funny_george_motivator_by_beatlesbug-d46fsk1.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/14 at 3:57 am

June 6th 1964 The Beatles Concert at the Blokker Exhibition Hall, Amsterdam, with Jimmy Nicol on drums.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/14 at 4:39 am

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10370374_10152473852834539_3278633862914856098_n.jpg

On the 12th June 1964, The Beatles arrive in Adelaide, Australia and are met with huge rapturous crowds on an unprecedented scale. It was reported that over 300,000 people waved and welcomed the band as they took a convertible car ride to the city centre. They played four concerts at the Adelaide Centennial Hall, performing to packed audiences of those lucky fans who got tickets.

Subject: Re: The Beatles: 49 years ago

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/14 at 5:41 am

On this day in 1965, The Beatles were at #1 with 'Help!'

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/15 at 3:54 am

On this day in 1965: Ticket To Ride' number 1, 5th and last week (UK New Musical Express chart).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/15 at 3:54 am

On this day in 1965: Last day of 'Help!' shootings, at Twickenham Studios, London.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/15 at 2:15 pm

On this day in 1965: Last day of 'Help!' shootings, at Twickenham Studios, London.

How long did the shootings take? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/15 at 2:26 pm

How long did the shootings take? ???
The film "Help!" began filming in the Bahamas on 23 February 1965.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/15 at 4:52 am

July 16th 1965 - The plan by Brian Matthew and Brian Epstein to build a new theatre in Kent, the Pilgrim Theatre, comes to an end when the Estates Committee of Bromley Borough Council refuses to give planning permission.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/15 at 6:31 am

July 17th 1965 - ABC-TV broadcasts a part of `Help!'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/15 at 6:58 am

July 17th 1965 - US single release: `Help!'/`I'm Down'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/15 at 4:11 am

1965 - The Beatles' UK single release: `Help!'/`I'm Down'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/15 at 4:17 am

July 24th 1965 - Ringo Starr buys `Sunny Heights', at St George's Hill Estate, Weybridge, Surrey.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/15 at 8:11 am

July 29th 1965 - The Beatles second feature film 'Help!' had its UK premiere at The Pavilion in London. The Beatles later said the film was shot in a "haze of marijuana". According to Starr's interviews in The Beatles Anthology, during the Austrian Alps film shooting, he and McCartney ran off over the hill from the "curling" scene set to smoke a joint.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/15 at 8:40 am

July 29th 1965 - The Beatles second feature film 'Help!' had its UK premiere at The Pavilion in London. The Beatles later said the film was shot in a "haze of marijuana". According to Starr's interviews in The Beatles Anthology, during the Austrian Alps film shooting, he and McCartney ran off over the hill from the "curling" scene set to smoke a joint.
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11825790_10155777136745167_4139092016932927886_n.jpg?oh=79720d93af208dabdf7878a39b4228e3&oe=5643B958

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/15 at 1:21 pm

August 5th 1965 - The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Help!' The group's eighth consecutive UK No.1 single. John Lennon later stated he wrote the lyrics of the song to express his stress after the Beatles' quick rise to success. "I was fat and depressed and I was crying out for 'Help'."

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/15 at 4:11 am

August 6th 1965 - The Beatles released their fifth album and soundtrack to their second film ‘Help!’ which included the title track, ‘The Night Before’, ‘You've Got to Hide Your Love Away’, ‘You're Going to Lose That Girl’, ‘Ticket to Ride’ and ‘Yesterday’.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 3:31 am

August 12th 1965 - Brian Epstein and Johnny Hamp of Granada TV meet to discuss arrangements for a programme based on the music of Lennon and McCartney.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/15 at 7:06 am

August 13th 1965 - The Beatles and Brian leave for the second North American tour. Beatles' meeting with Bob Dylan at their rooms at the Warwick Hotel, New York.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/15 at 3:29 am

August 14th 1965 - The Beatles taped an appearance for CBS-TV's The Ed Sullivan Show at Studio 50, New York City. They performed ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘I'm Down’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Yesterday’, and ‘Help!’ Also today, The Beatles fifth album 'Help!' started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK charts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/15 at 8:05 am

August 15th 1965 – The Beatles play to nearly 60,000 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City, an event later regarded as the birth of stadium rock.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 5:28 am

August 27th 1965 - On the last day of a five-day break from their North American tour, The Beatles, attended a recording session for The Byrds. Later that afternoon, The Beatles met Elvis Presley at his mansion in Beverly Hills. It was an awkward meeting, leaving The Beatles with the impression that Presley's personality was decidedly "unmagnetic". John Lennon remarked soon after, ‘Where’s Elvis’ It was like meeting Engelbert Humperdinck.’

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/15 at 8:33 am

September 6th 1965 - Brian Epstein announces he has signed the Moody Blues to a management and agency contract with NEMS Enterprises.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/15 at 6:13 am

September 9th 1965 - Broadcast of a performance of The Beatles recorded for the Ed Sullivan Show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/15 at 8:24 am

September 22nd 1965 - A show called `Brian Epstein's Evening of Popular Music' is presented at the Commonwealth Arts Festival, Royal Festival Hall, London. The Moody Blues are in the bill, being their first major engagement since Brian is their manager. The concert is presented as `Pop From Britain'. The compere is Brian Matthew.

Written By: GH1996 on 10/21/15 at 9:32 pm

Both of my aunts saw them live at empire stadium in Vancouver (1964)  8)

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 7:21 am

Both of my aunts saw them live at empire stadium in Vancouver (1964)  8)

Did they enjoy themselves?

Written By: GH1996 on 10/23/15 at 2:06 pm

Did they enjoy themselves?

Oh they definitely did

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/16 at 6:25 am

From a few days back...

September 20th 1966 - George Harrison went to India for his first visit to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/16 at 5:36 am

It was this time 50 years ago when The Beatles were stagnant, for immediately after the tour of the USA that ended at the end of August, the band took a three-month break from one another to follow individual pursuits:

Lennon accepted a supporting role in the film "How I Won the War", and it was during filming that he wrote "Strawberry Fields Forever".

McCartney wrote the score for the film "The Family Way".

Harrison and his wife Pattie, whom he had married in January, travelled to India, where he met and took sitar lessons from Ravi Shankar and immersed himself in the local culture and religion.

Starr mostly stayed at home with his family.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/16 at 5:35 am

November 13th 1966 - The front page of the `Sunday Telegraph' reports that two of the Beatles have approached Allen Klein through a third party. Klein, in London, did not announce the story himself or made himself available for comment. Brian dismisses the story as ridiculous. George and Ringo are said to be disturbed by the report; John, annoyed about the suggestion of their being disenchanted with Brian. Paul is abroad and cannot be reached for comment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/16 at 12:23 am

November 24th 1966, The Beatles got together for the first time since their return from the summer tour of the United States, ready to record a new album. The first song selected for recording was John Lennon's 'Strawberry Fields Forever', which would end up on the album, but on The Beatles' next single. This day's session was devoted entirely to ‘Strawberry Fields Forever.’

Written By: Howard on 11/24/16 at 2:43 pm

November 24th 1966, The Beatles got together for the first time since their return from the summer tour of the United States, ready to record a new album. The first song selected for recording was John Lennon's 'Strawberry Fields Forever', which would end up on the album, but on The Beatles' next single. This day's session was devoted entirely to ‘Strawberry Fields Forever.’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQK-UcRezE

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/16 at 4:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UQK-UcRezE
A much better video than the grainy picture I remember.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/16 at 7:37 pm

November 25th 1966 - The audio was recorded for the Beatles' album "Pantomime: Everywhere It's Christmas."

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/16 at 2:42 am

November 26th 1966 - Filming of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's BBC-TV comedy show 'Not Only... But Also', with appearance of John Lennon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/16 at 4:43 am

December 6th 1966 - The first session for the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" occurred at Abbey Road. The Beatles performed two takes of "When I'm 64."

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/16 at 8:09 am

December 6th 1966, The Beatles recorded Christmas and New Year's greetings for pirate radio stations Radio Caroline and Radio London. Both stations were broadcasting from ships anchored off the British coastline.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/16 at 5:44 am

December 8th 1966, Working at Abbey Road in London, Paul McCartney overdubbed his lead vocal for ‘When I'm Sixty-Four’. Then The Beatles set about remaking a new John Lennon song ‘Strawberry Fields Forever.’

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/16 at 9:34 pm

December 28th 1966, Working at Abbey Road studios, London, Paul McCartney began work on his new song ‘Penny Lane’, recording six takes of keyboard tracks and various percussion effects. The song's title is derived from the name of a street near John Lennon's house, in the band's hometown, Liverpool. McCartney and Lennon would meet at Penny Lane junction in the Mossley Hill area to catch a bus into the centre of the city.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/17 at 1:05 am

February 1st 1967, At Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles started work on a new song 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'. It wasn't until The Beatles had recorded the song that Paul McCartney had the idea to make the song the thematic pivot for their forthcoming album.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/17 at 7:25 am

February 9th 1967, The film for the latest Beatles single 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' was shown on BBC-TV's Top Of The Pops. It was the first Beatles single not to make No.1 in the UK since 1963, held off the top by Engelbert Humperdinck's 'Release Me'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/17 at 12:15 am

February 10th 1967, The Beatles recorded the orchestral build-up for the middle and end of 'A Day in the Life'. At the Beatles' request, the orchestra members arrived in full evening dress along with novelty items. One violinist wore a red clown's nose, while another, a fake gorilla's paw on his bow hand. Others were wearing funny hats and other assorted novelties. The recording was filmed for a possible 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' television special which was ultimately abandoned. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mike Nesmith from The Monkees and Donovan also attended the session.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/10/17 at 7:48 am

February 10th 1967, The Beatles recorded the orchestral build-up for the middle and end of 'A Day in the Life'. At the Beatles' request, the orchestra members arrived in full evening dress along with novelty items. One violinist wore a red clown's nose, while another, a fake gorilla's paw on his bow hand. Others were wearing funny hats and other assorted novelties. The recording was filmed for a possible 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' television special which was ultimately abandoned. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mike Nesmith from The Monkees and Donovan also attended the session.

Wow - I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for this...  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/17 at 9:37 pm

Wow - I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for this...  ::)
I would love to see the footage that was shot!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/17 at 4:00 am

March 1st 1967, Working at Abbey Road studios, London, The Beatles started recording a new John Lennon song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'. The song was inspired by a drawing his 3 year-old son Julian returned home from school with one day. The picture, which was of a little girl with lots of stars, was his classmate - Lucy O’Donnell, who also lived in Weybridge, and attended the same school as Julian.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/17 at 7:13 am

March 6th 1967, The Beatles recorded sound effects onto the song 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' at Abbey Road studios in London. The beginning audience murmurs and sounds of a band preparing for a performance are added, along with screams from a tape of the Beatles in concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/17 at 3:35 am

March​ 11th 1967, Music publisher, Dick James, announced that 446 different versions of the Paul McCartney song 'Yesterday' had been recorded so far.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/17 at 6:59 am

March 15th 1967, The first session recording George Harrison's new song ‘Within You Without You’ took place at Abbey Road studios, London. George was the only Beatle to perform on this song, which was still called 'Untitled'. Harrison played the swordmandel and tamboura, Natver Soni played tabla, Amrat Gajjar played dilruba, PD Joshi played swordmandel, and an undocumented musician played a droning tamboura.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/17 at 4:51 pm

March 17 1967, Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles finished the recording of 'She's Leaving Home' after adding backing vocals to the track. Harpist Sheila Bromberg who was part of the string section on the track became the first woman to play on a Beatles recording.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/17 at 12:57 pm

March 18th 1967, The Beatles scored their 13th US No.1 single with 'Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever'. The song's title is derived from the name of a street near Lennon's house, in Liverpool. McCartney and Lennon would meet at Penny Lane junction in the Mossley Hill area to catch a bus into the centre of the city.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/17 at 4:50 am

July 19th 1967, The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All You Need Is Love' the group's 12th UK No.1 single. The Beatles had been selected to represent the UK for the first-ever global-wide satellite broadcast. The group agreed to be shown in the studio recording a song written especially for the occasion, (which was aired on June 25). John Lennon wrote ‘All You Need is Love’ which was thought to sum up the 1967 'summer of love' and The Beatles' sympathies.

Check for new replies or respond here...