inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did any Depression Era girls starve themselves in order to fit in?

Written By: The Valley Goth on 05/08/14 at 12:53 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I once began writing a fictional story, wherein a relatively well-off Depression Era girl was to starve herself, nearly to death, because she was sick and tired of her financially destitute classmates calling her a snob.

So, is that a realistic portrayal?  Did any of you Depression Era teen girls catch such a barrage of guff from less-well-off classmates (whose starving, younger siblings were dying) that you deliberately starved yourselves, nearly to death, in an "I'LL show you that I can be just like you!" campaign?

I think that the ideal female sillhouette was plump and curvy, with a plump, but modest bustline, but I'm curious to know how far some of you went when you realized that those poor people from your town might be hating you because you weren't poor.

I'm partly curious because MY generation used starvation to fit in, and to gain attention, and because I myself deliberately became obese when I realized that everybody else from my town was baring larger bellies; I personally began to think of a pudgy tummy as being sexy, so I naturally decided to gain weight.  Of course, I can't seem to LOSE the weight now...ACK!
8)

Subject: Re: Did any Depression Era girls starve themselves in order to fit in?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/08/14 at 8:33 am

http://pigroll.com/img/look_at_my_entire_dog.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/14 at 1:30 am

The Great Depression with it's poor economy, cheap foods were used, such as soups, beans and noodles, and not only girls, but men were starving.

Written By: warped on 05/09/14 at 6:30 pm

Locking this topic due to the stupidity of it

Check for new replies or respond here...