inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1951: The Year In Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 7:03 am

"Ramblin' Man" is a song written in 1951 by Hank Williams, Sr. It was released as the B-side to the 1953 #1 hit "Take These Chains from My Heart", as well as to the 1976 re-release of "Why Don't You Love Me". It is also included on the 40 Greatest Hits, a staple of his CD re-released material.

The song is notable for the simplicity of its structure, relying upon a 2-chord, minor-key, rhythm guitar figure and alternating minimal accompaniment from fiddle and steel guitar. It also features Williams' trademark "yodel". The song's three verses, all ending in the title line, are sung straight through with no pause for instrumental solos. The song tells the story of a man trapped in his drifting ways, doomed to break his lover's heart. Tales of wanderers were a common theme for Williams, and consequently, Country music as a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V41gDDWEPso

Subject: Re: 1951: The Year In Music

Written By: Paul on 05/13/14 at 7:38 am

One of the most amazing hits from that year, or any other...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wb31uFmiM

It started off innocently enough - a ballad which quite a few singers had a go at, in a fairly straight-laced style (including our own Vera Lynn) but nothing really happened until Ray got hold of it...and promptly ripped it to shreds!

The guy was so 'unknown', that the original record was released on a predominantly RnB-based label! And certainly, there was no-one else around at the time who could ever manage a delivery as intense as this - it set the ball rolling for a highly-succesful career, as well as rabid teen-worship. Here in Britain, the youngsters had never seen or heard anything like him and this would almost certainly been a #1 hit (as it was in the US) had we had a record chart at the time...

Sadly, he seems to have become a small footnote in the history of things now... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 7:40 am

One of the most amazing hits from that year, or any other...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wb31uFmiM

Written By: Paul on 05/13/14 at 7:42 am

Yeah, sorry...YouTube wouldn't play ball with me!

Another huge thing from that year, by the legend that was...a jazz standard, but anticipating rock 'n' roll, perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzB7I2y7Ic

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 7:44 am

Yeah, sorry...YouTube wouldn't play ball with me!

Another huge thing from that year, by the legend that was...a jazz standard, but anticipating rock 'n' roll, perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzB7I2y7Ic
You have to removed the 's' in the https address.

Written By: warped on 05/13/14 at 7:45 am

Patti Page ~ Mockin' Bird Hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C28_G5PKo48

All the songs posted so far are just wonderful.

Written By: Paul on 05/13/14 at 10:44 am

You have to removed the 's' in the https address.

This modern teknology will kill me!

I need to calm down and this is the perfect thing to do it with...stunning arrangement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-c000vDMA

(Despite what the person who posted it says, this WAS from 1951!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 10:47 am

This modern teknology will kill me!

I need to calm down and this is the perfect thing to do it with...stunning arrangement!

(Despite what the person who posted it says, this WAS from 1951!)
The vocal version by The Bachelors was much later in the 1960s.

Written By: Paul on 05/13/14 at 3:38 pm

The vocal version by The Bachelors was much later in the 1960s.

Yup! Dates back even further than Mantovani, to 1926/7, when Guy Lombardo (another forgotten name) had a big hit with it...

The ever-smiling Bachelors' version was produced by Shel Talmy. A US producer who moved to Britain primarily to expand his horizons - this was his first major hit production...the next one? The very gentle 'You Really Got Me' by The Kinks!

A bigger contrast you couldn't honestly imagine!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/15 at 11:31 pm

"Too Young" is a popular song. The music was written by Sidney Lippman, the lyrics by Sylvia Dee. The song was published in 1951. In the United States, the best-known version of the song was recorded by Nat King Cole on February 6, 1951 and released by Capitol Records. It was a million-selling record and reached the #1 position on the Billboard magazine chart, staying at #1 for 5 weeks and altogether on the Best Seller chart for 29 weeks. Billboard ranked this version as the No. 1 song of 1951. Cole described this song as one of his three favorites among his own songs.

KaFtsqU2V6U

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/15 at 11:22 pm

"Cold, Cold Heart" is a country music and popular music song, written by Hank Williams. This blues ballad is both a classic of honky tonk and an entry in the Great American Songbook. Williams first recorded and released the song in 1951, originally as the B-side (MGM-10904B) to "Dear John". That same year, it was recorded in a pop version by Tony Bennett with a light orchestral arrangement from Percy Faith. This recording was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 39449. It first reached the Billboard magazine charts on July 20, 1951 and lasted 27 weeks on the chart, peaking at #1.

uORPxmsBJoE

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/15 at 11:44 am

"I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat" is a novelty song composed and written by Alan Livingston, Billy May and Warren Foster. It was sung by Mel Blanc, who provided the voice of the bird, Tweety and of his nemesis Sylvester. The song reached No. 9 on the Billboard pop chart during a seven-week chart run in February and March 1951, and sold more than 2 million records.

MvNfPSXWZqw

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/17 at 8:59 am

My Resistance Is Low is a 1951 song by American singer, song writer and band leader Hoagy Carmichael, with later lyrics by Harold Adamson.

I-eWec2FtH8

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 2:31 am

"Plink, Plank, Plunk" by Leroy Anderson, released in 1951. it was used as the theme for the CBS panel show "I've Got A Secret".

N8YSz75y5o0

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 9:07 am

"How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I've Been a Liar All My Life" sung by Fred Astaire and Jane Powell in the film 1951 film "Royal Wedding", with music by Burton Lane and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner. It is considered the longest title of any song in MGM musical history.

8q2fTSo8aoY

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 3:19 pm

"You're All The World to Me" is an American song written in 1950 by composer Burton Lane and lyricist Alan Jay Lerner for the 1951 MGM musical, Royal Wedding. The lyrics by Lerner, who also wrote the story and screenplay, give song-and-dance man Tom Bowen, played by Fred Astaire, the opportunity to proclaim his love for Anne Ashmond (Sarah Churchill) while dancing on the walls and ceiling of a custom-made set which, along with an attached camera and camera operator, rolled on an axis to provide the anti-gravity illusion.

CsoYyDlYU8M

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/18 at 7:57 am

Elizabethan Serenade is a light music composition by Ronald Binge. When it was first played by the Mantovani orchestra in 1951, it was simply titled "Andante cantabile", although the original orchestral manuscript parts in Ronald Binge's own hand show the title "The Man in the Street" (possibly the title of an early television documentary). The name was altered by the composer to reflect the post-war optimism of a "new Elizabethan Age" that began with the accession of Queen Elizabeth II in February 1952. The piece won Binge an Ivor Novello award and also had chart success in Germany (recorded by the Günther Kallmann Choir) and South Africa. A version with lyrics by poet Christopher Hassall called Where the Gentle Avon Flows was released and the work also had lyrics added in German, Czech, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Danish and French. The piece was used as the signature tune to Music In Miniature on the BBC Light Programme. In 1970, a reggae version called "Elizabethan Reggae" by Boris Gardiner & the Love People was released. (This was initially erroneously credited to the track's producer, Byron Lee and the Dragonaires.) In 1982, Louise Tucker recorded a different vocal version entitled "Only For You" on the album Midnight Blue.

T74GH28jFNQ

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/20 at 4:03 am

"It's Oh So Quiet" is a song by American singer Betty Hutton, released in 1951 as the B-side to the single "Murder, He Says". It is a cover of the German song "Und jetzt ist es still", performed by Horst Winter in 1948, with music written by Austrian composer Hans Lang and German lyrics by Erich Meder. The English lyrics were written by Bert Reisfeld. A French title, "Tout est tranquille", was performed in 1949 by Ginette Garcin and the Jacques Hélian Orchestra.

e3mUVOckCZ4

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/20 at 7:32 am

"The Loveliest Night of the Year" is a popular song. The music was first published as a waltz called "Sobre las olas" ("Over the Waves") in 1888, written by Juventino P. Rosas. In 1950, the music was adapted by Irving Aaronson with lyrics by Paul Francis Webster for the movie The Great Caruso, in which it was sung by Ann Blyth. Later, Mario Lanza recorded the song. It became one of the most popular songs of 1951, reaching number three in the US Billboard Charts. Lanza received his third Gold Disc for this song. In the UK, the song was a number one hit based on sales of sheet music. It reached the top spot in January 1952, staying there for four weeks.

0VeiwX5wVtw

Check for new replies or respond here...