inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do the hippies define the 1960s?

Written By: Visor765 on 08/19/14 at 11:34 am

To me, hippies don't look totally 1960s. I always thought they were more 70s than 60s. I was surprised to find out they were the 1960s stereotype. I've always felt it should've been the Mods. They have a cooler style, cooler ideals, and a better taste in music. It started in the London, but it made it's way to America. The mods always have such cool designs and attitudes. Miniskirts vs Gypsy skirts, R&B vs Psychedelic Rock, Go-go boots vs Birkenstocks, Motor Scooters vs Vans, Short hair vs Long hair, Clean shaven vs Bearded, Ska vs Folk Rock. Why do the hippies define the 1960s? Why can't it be the mods?

Subject: Re: Why do the hippies define the 1960s?

Written By: Paul on 08/20/14 at 4:39 am

All to do with the culture (or counter-culture) along with the rise of pop music as an art form, the permissive society, the spectre of Vietnam...whether they liked it or not, them hippies made more of an impact culture-wise, than the Mods ever did...

...mind you, Mod taste in music was spot-on, I'll give you that. They were the prime motivating force (although the Beatles helped a bit) in Motown (and soul in general) exploding big-time in Britain (where it's still referred to it as Tamla-Motown!)

Check for new replies or respond here...