inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody feel tortured when you had to sit through your grandparent's pop?

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/24/14 at 7:37 am

As you know, certain elements of popu culture appealed to certain generations. That said, I myself felt that going through easy listening music, watching old western movies or WWII flicks just felt too "boring" or "fogey" compared to stuff I prefer. Instead of X-Men or Batman: TAS, you had to sit through Lawrence Welk, old country music, Perry Como, a History Channel documentary, or a random "In Old (Insert Western US State)" western flick. What would you do if you felt that you didn't hate it, and how would it get on your older relatives' nerves?

Subject: Re: Does anybody feel tortured when you had to sit through your grandparent's pop?

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/14 at 11:09 am

Nope, never felt tortured. I loved watching the old country/westerns my grandad enjoyed like 'High Noon' and even 'Calamity Jane'. My dad loved old comedy by Laurel and Hardy and The Marx Brothers and I totally appreciated the comic timing there as well. I watch more black and white stuff now and enjoy films like 'Twelve Angry Men', 'Mr Smith goes to Washington' and 'The Defiant Ones' though I've yet to watch 'Casablanca'.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with my mate as I was discussing Laurel and Hardy. He said he couldn't watch it because it was in black and white which is a shame because their films were wonderful (especially 'Sons of the Desert', 'Blockheads', 'The Music Box' and 'Way out West').

The film 'Safety Last' with Harold Lloyd is an iconic picture (the one where Lloyd is dangling from the big hand of a clock tower) and, yet again, the comedy timing was just impeccable.

I enjoyed listening to my grandad's country and western music (especially Johnny Cash) and occasionally didn't mind listening to the bagpipes too (there is a song that always reminds me of him called 'Scotch on the Rocks').

Yes, there was some awful stuff back then but there is awful stuff floating around now ('After Earth' comes to mind...). It all depends on how broad-minded people are and whether they can appreciate something for what it was at the time rather than what it is now and not quickly dismiss it just because it is old.

Subject: Re: Does anybody feel tortured when you had to sit through your grandparent's pop?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/14 at 3:48 pm

The only time I felt tortured was when my mother & step-father listened to musack.  8-P 8-P 8-P  When my mother listened to her showtunes, I would sing along. When my father listened to classical, I enjoyed it.

We used to make fun of my mother for loving Ed Ames. She had every album he ever made-and he made quite a few. And as we made fun of her, I would "borrow" some of her albums.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...