inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1964 Addams Family tv series screen tests

Written By: andersenb11775 on 09/26/14 at 7:36 am

I was just looking at the pictures of the actors who screen tested for roles in the 1964 Addams Family tv series.

http://life.time.com/culture/addams-family-rare-photos-from-auditions-for-classic-tv-show/

The Wednesday Addams on the far right in the picture of the three little girls is Tracy Stratford (The Loretta Young Show, The Twilight Zone, A Charlie Brown Christmas) who was one of the best American child actresses of the 1960s. Given that Stratford was born in 1955 and Lisa Loring, who was eventually cast as Wednesday, was born in 1958, the producers must have been keeping their options wide open as to how old the character of Wednesday would be.

The Uncle Fester in photo 7 is Maurice Gosfield, better known as Pvt. Doberman from The Phil Silvers Show (informally called Sgt. Bilko). It's sort of well he wasn't cast as Fester as he died a month after the series premiered.

Subject: Re: 1964 Addams Family tv series screen tests

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/14 at 1:23 pm

That is creep and kooky. Mysterious and spooky, It was all together ooky.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, it was very interesting. It appears that they hired John Astin first.

First karma to you.

Cat

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/29/14 at 3:52 pm

It also seems that Lurch's appearance and age were up for discussion. I think that the hulkingly handsome Ted Cassidy was the best option, with his unforgettable baritone "YOU RANG?" Also, the funny story-line where Lurch becomes a teen idol wouldn't have worked if we had had one of the other candidates, as Lurch would have certainly been a much  more elderly or homely character in that case.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/14 at 5:02 pm

It also seems that Lurch's appearance and age were up for discussion. I think that the hulkingly handsome Ted Cassidy was the best option, with his unforgettable baritone "YOU RANG?" Also, the funny story-line where Lurch becomes a teen idol wouldn't have worked if we had had one of the other candidates, as Lurch would have certainly been a much  more elderly or homely character in that case.

I went to high school with this kid who was REALLY tall and of course we all called him Lurch-which I do believe he hated, but every now again, he would say, "You rang."  :D ;D ;D ;D  He was a nice guy and a good sport when all of us would call him Lurch.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...