inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1952: The Year in Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/15 at 12:20 am

"I Went To Your Wedding" is a popular song written and composed by Jessie Mae Robinson and published in 1952. The biggest hit version was recorded by Patti Page. It was recorded on August 6, 1952, and issued by Mercury Records as catalog number 5899, with the flip side "You Belong to Me." It first entered the Billboard chart on August 22nd, 1952, lasting 21 weeks and reaching #1 on the chart.  "I Went to Your Wedding" also afforded Page a #1 hit in Australia.

AR-_JC36vXM

Subject: Re: 1952: The Year in Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/15 at 12:59 am

"Heart and Soul" is a popular song, with music by Hoagy Carmichael and lyrics by Frank Loesser, published in 1938. In 1952, The Four Aces had a #11 hit in the US Charts. The song's A-section is often simplified as a repeating I-vi-IV-V progression and taught to beginning piano students as an easy two-hand duet. Much like the piece "Chopsticks", this (somewhat inaccurate) version became widely known, even to those who never studied piano. The chord progression, often referred to as the "'50s progression", was later employed in the doo-wop hits of the 1950s.

fCAw_zYwu88

Written By: Paul on 02/27/15 at 10:43 am

1952 was the year that we in Britain finally got a record sales chart - a mere dozen or so years behind America! Atop that first chart, making a nice, quiet entrance, was this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LB4e9tkR98

...and even though it had been around since the summer of that year, it was still popular enough to be on the top into 1953!

Yet for all of that, Al's best remembered in Britain for 'Spanish Eyes'!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/14/15 at 12:40 pm

"You Belong to Me" is a romantic pop music ballad from 1952. A version by Jo Stafford became the most popular version, topping the charts in both the United States and the United Kingdom (the first song by a female singer to top the UK Singles Chart)

zQfF84ackMM

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/16 at 3:52 am

"Singin' In the Rain" is a song with lyrics by Arthur Freed and music by Nacio Herb Brown, published in 1929. The song "Singin' In the Rain" sung by Gene Kelly is a centerpiece of the musical film of the same name, Singin' in the Rain (1952). It is unclear exactly when the song was written; it has been claimed that the song was performed as early as 1927. The song was listed as No. 3 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs.

D1ZYhVpdXbQ

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/16 at 4:55 am

"Singin' In the Rain" is a song with lyrics by Arthur Freed and music by Nacio Herb Brown, published in 1929. The song "Singin' In the Rain" sung by Gene Kelly is a centerpiece of the musical film of the same name, Singin' in the Rain (1952). It is unclear exactly when the song was written; it has been claimed that the song was performed as early as 1927. The song was listed as No. 3 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs.

D1ZYhVpdXbQ

"Good Morning" is a song by Nacio Herb Brown (music) and Arthur Freed (lyrics) written for the 1939 film Babes in Arms and performed by Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. Its best known performance was in the 1952 hit musical film Singin' in the Rain, where it was sung by Betty Noyes (who dubbed the singing voice of Debbie Reynolds), Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. In 2004 the version in Singin' in the Rain finished at #72 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of the top tunes in American cinema.

Yu6--WBPBHo

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/16 at 3:27 pm

“The Ballad of High Noon” (or “Do Not Forsake Me, O My Darlin’”) is a popular song published in 1952, with music by Dimitri Tiomkin and lyrics by Ned Washington. It was introduced in the movie High Noon, sung over the opening credits by Tex Ritter. It was awarded the 1952 Academy Award for Best Original Song, and was performed that night for the Academy by Ritter.

A4a_1UhwgFU

Check for new replies or respond here...