inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1953: The Year in Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/15 at 2:22 am

"Vaya con Dios" (translated as "Go with God") is a popular song written by Larry Russell, Inez James, and Buddy Pepper. Les Paul and Mary Ford had a no. 1 recording of the song in 1953. Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.

Released in 1973, a cover of this song reached the Top 20 in the first week of 1974, recorded by Millican & Nesbitt.

QqZ0Sdz_V40

Subject: Re: 1953: The Year in Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/15 at 9:52 am

"Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes" is an off meter ballad concerning a man away from home worried that his paramour may unwittingly stray from their relationship. The song was recorded in many different styles by many artists. It was written by Winston L. Moore (whose stage name was Slim Willet). Perry Como had a #1 hit in the UK in 1953.

Dmkg_E2evbg

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/16 at 10:44 pm

"I Understand" is a popular song. It was written by Pat Best and was published in 1953. Hit version was initially recorded by The Four Tunes.

J0pfc7j2SSo

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/16 at 12:25 am

"Hold My Hand" is a popular song, written by Jack Lawrence and Richard Myers. It was written in 1950 but not published until 1953. The hit version in 1953 was a recording by Don Cornell. The song was featured in the film Susan Slept Here (1954), and was nominated for the 1954 Academy Award for Best Song. Cornell recorded on the Vogue Records label. His version of "Hold My Hand" was produced by Bob Thiele. It reached No. 1 in the UK Singles Chart for four weeks in October 1954. This song was banned by the BBC for the words 'kingdom of heaven'.

kEq9q61XRbo

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/17 at 2:24 am

"I Went to Your Wedding" is a popular song written and composed by Jessie Mae Robinson. The song was then famously 'spoofed' by Spike Jones and his City Slickers in 1953. The lines quoted above were altered thus: "You tripped down the aisle/ Fell flat on your (laughter) smile/ Your father was loaded too." The male ex-lover (Jones' vocalist) is in fact now interpreted to be glad to "get rid" of the bride!

2iXI8OpY4ZQ

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/17 at 6:32 am

"Let Me Go, Devil" is a song written in 1953 by Jenny Lou Carson. Carson greatly admired the talents of Hank Williams. Williams' battle with alcoholism and subsequent death inspired her to write the song. It was first recorded on July 2, 1953 by Wade Ray, followed a few weeks later by Georgie Shaw, Johnny Bond and Tex Ritter. In 1954, then Columbia Records producer Mitch Miller felt the song as written was too depressing for pop audiences and suggested that "Devil" be changed to "Lover". The pop song writing team of Fred Wise, Kay Twomey, and Ben Weisman writing under the pseudonym Al Hill, were hired to rewrite the lyrics. The song became the major 1954-1955 hit, "Let Me Go, Lover!."

14wMTY4bT7w

Written By: Paul on 05/10/17 at 9:39 am

The reason why something revolutionary HAD to happen within the next two years!  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPeT4VMXGs

Proved to be her only British chart hit, despite several dozens in her homeland. Rather tragically, (and I guess nothing to do with this song) the writer, Bob Merrill, eventually took his own life... :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/17 at 10:04 am

The reason why something revolutionary HAD to happen within the next two years!  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPeT4VMXGs

Proved to be her only British chart hit, despite several dozens in her homeland. Rather tragically, (and I guess nothing to do with this song) the writer, Bob Merrill, eventually took his own life... :(
I blame Ed Stewart myself!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/17 at 2:25 am

"I Believe" is a popular song written by Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl and Al Stillman in 1953. "I Believe" was commissioned and introduced by Jane Froman on her television show, and became the first hit song ever introduced on TV. Froman, troubled by the uprising of the Korean War in 1952 so soon after World War II, asked Drake, Graham, Shirl and Stillman to compose a song that would offer hope and faith to the populace. In addition to Froman, "I Believe" has been recorded by many others, and has become both a popular and religious standard. Frankie Laine's version spent eighteen non-consecutive weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart. Laine also had the most successful version in America, where he reached #2 for three weeks.

FDMYMbj8_4A

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 1:33 pm

"I'm Walking Behind You" is a popular song written by Billy Reid and published in 1953. Eddie Fisher's rendition of the song with Sally Sweetland became a number-one hit single on both the Cash Box and Billboard record charts in 1953 in the United States, as well as reaching number one on the UK Singles Chart. The recording by Eddie Fisher and Hugo Winterhalter's orchestra and chorus was made on April 7, 1953, and released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-5293 (in USA) and by EMI on the His Master's Voice label as catalog number B 10489. In the same year, Frank Sinatra released a recording of his own rendition on the album Capitol Collector's Series. This recording, made on April 2, 1953, was also issued as a single by Capitol Records as catalog number 2450.

aB-LBKVgq-4

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/17 at 7:38 am

"Just Walkin' in the Rain" is a popular song. It was written in 1952 by Johnny Bragg and Robert Riley, two prisoners at Tennessee State Prison in Nashville, after a comment made by Bragg as the pair crossed the courtyard while it was raining. Bragg allegedly said, "Here we are just walking in the rain, and wondering what the girls are doing." Riley suggested that this would make a good basis for a song, and within a few minutes, Bragg had composed two verses. However, because Bragg was unable to read and write, he asked Riley to write the lyrics down in exchange for being credited as one of the song's writers. Bragg and his band, The Prisonaires, later recorded the song for Sun Records and it became a hit on the US Billboard R&B chart in 1953. However, the best-known version of the song was recorded by Johnnie Ray in July 16, 1956 on the label Columbia Records; it reached No. 2 on the US Billboard Hot 100.

8DOdqOkYjtA

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/18 at 12:39 pm

"That's Amore" is a 1953 song by composer Harry Warren and lyricist Jack Brooks. It became a major hit and signature song for Dean Martin in 1953. Amore (pronounced ) means "love" in Italian.

OnFlx2Lnr9Q

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/18 at 10:15 am

"Hound Dog" is a twelve-bar blues song written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Recorded originally by Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton on August 13, 1952, in Los Angeles and released by Peacock Records in late February 1953, "Hound Dog" was Thornton's only hit record, selling over 500,000 copies, spending 14 weeks in the R&B charts, including seven weeks at number one. Thornton's recording of "Hound Dog" is listed as one of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll", and was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in February 2013. "Hound Dog" has been recorded more than 250 times. The best-known version is the July 1956 recording by Elvis Presley, which is ranked number 19 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time; it is also one of the best-selling singles of all time.

JvbSXVc451Q

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/18 at 9:39 am

"Iko Iko" (/ˈaɪkoʊ ˈaɪkoʊ/) is a much-covered New Orleans song that tells of a parade collision between two tribes of Mardi Gras Indians and the traditional confrontation. The song, under the original title "Jock-A-Mo", was written and released as a single in 1953 by Sugar Boy and his Cane Cutters that failed to make the charts. The song first became popular in 1965 by girl group The Dixie Cups, who scored an international hit with "Iko Iko". In 1967 as part of a lawsuit settlement between "Sugar Boy" James Crawford and the Dixie Cups, the trio were given part songwriting credit for the song.

g9OvqEu9TFM

Check for new replies or respond here...