inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1960: The Year in Music

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/15 at 11:20 am

"Looking High, High, High" is a song by British singer Bryan Johnson, that represented the United Kingdom at the Eurovision Song Contest 1960, performed in English.

The song was performed first on the night of the contest, held on 29 March 1960, preceding Sweden's Siw Malmkvist with "Alla andra får varann". The song received 25 points, placing 2nd in a field of 13.

The song reached #20 on the UK Singles Chart.

172XOPvpLY8

Subject: Re: 1960: The Year in Music

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/17/15 at 2:03 pm

Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2whGEvy13Ag

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/15 at 10:53 am

"I'm Sorry" is a 1960 hit song by 15-year-old American singer Brenda Lee. It peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in July 1960. Allmusic guide wrote that it is the pop star's "definitive song", and one of the "finest teen pop songs of its era". It was written by Dub Allbritten and Ronnie Self. On the UK Singles Chart, the song peaked at No.12.

4kI0dBvg-qw

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 9:25 am

"Are You Lonesome Tonight?" was released as a single by Elvis Presley on November 1, 1960, with "I Gotta Know" on the B-side, and pressing was assigned to plants in New Jersey, Indianapolis and Los Angeles. Copies (with a sleeve featuring a smiling Presley in a chartreuse shirt against a blue background) were sent to 5,000 disc jockeys. Orders for the single began at 900,000 copies the first week and climbed to 1,200,000 during the second. The song debuted on Billboard's Top 40 at number 35 on November 14, moved a week later to number two and topped the chart by November 28 (replacing Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs' "Stay"). Presley's 15th chart-topping single, it held the top position until January 9, 1961. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" peaked at number three on the R&B chart, remaining on it for ten weeks. The song topped the Cash Box singles chart and reached number 45 on the Cash Box country singles chart. A month after its UK release it topped the UK Singles Chart. Three months after its release, the single had sales of two million copies worldwide; that year, the Recording Industry Association of America certified it gold.

_cS5aCozhcA

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/16 at 2:41 pm

"Puppy Love" is a popular song written by Paul Anka in 1960 for Annette Funicello, whom he was dating at the time. Anka's version reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100  and #33 on the UK Singles Chart.Twelve years later it was revived by Donny Osmond.

NAtwI2poXXg

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/16 at 10:28 am

"Alone At Last", released in 1960, sung by Jackie Wilson. The song is based on the theme of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto.

PPvfVRwQdVY

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/16 at 10:51 am

"Tell Laura I Love Her", a teenage tragedy song written by Jeff Barry and Ben Raleigh, was an American Top Ten popular music hit for singer Ray Peterson in 1960 on RCA Victor Records, reaching #7 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Later that same year, the song was recorded and released by Ricky Valance in the United Kingdom, where it went all the way to the #1 spot in the UK Singles Chart. "Tell Laura I Love Her" has been a hit in 14 countries, and has sold over seven million copies.

Ray Peterson
pTjQgkHzbTk

Ricky Valance
qfbKhmHBl-I

Written By: nally on 09/13/16 at 1:07 am

Chubby Checker, "The Twist"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KZ9noKiP0Y

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/16 at 2:41 am

It was not until Ray Charles' 1960 recording of Hoagy Carmichael's "Georgia On My Mind" on The Genius Hits the Road, that the song became a major hit, reaching the number one spot for one week in November 1960 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.

fRgWBN8yt_E

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/16 at 2:24 am

"Stay" is a doo-wop song written by Maurice Williams and first recorded in 1960 by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs. Commercially successful recordings were later also issued by both the Hollies and the Four Seasons. The song was written by Williams in 1953 when he was 15 years old. He had been trying to convince his date not to go home at 10 o'clock as she was supposed to. He lost the argument, but as he was to relate years later, "Like a flood, the words just came to me." The original recording of "Stay" remains the shortest single ever to reach the top of the American record charts, at 1 minute 36 seconds in length. By 1990, it had sold more than 8 million copies. It received a new lease of popularity after being featured on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

o1Z_hskvz1M

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/17 at 10:28 pm

"Witch Doctor" is a song by Ross Bagdasarian Sr., that gained further popularity due to multiple covers performed by Alvin and the Chipmunks in 1960.

d-3GqJFNjGU

Written By: nally on 05/15/17 at 11:27 am

"Stay" is a doo-wop song written by Maurice Williams and first recorded in 1960 by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs. Commercially successful recordings were later also issued by both the Hollies and the Four Seasons. The song was written by Williams in 1953 when he was 15 years old. He had been trying to convince his date not to go home at 10 o'clock as she was supposed to. He lost the argument, but as he was to relate years later, "Like a flood, the words just came to me." The original recording of "Stay" remains the shortest single ever to reach the top of the American record charts, at 1 minute 36 seconds in length. By 1990, it had sold more than 8 million copies. It received a new lease of popularity after being featured on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.

I have heard this version of the song, most recently on KKZZ about a week or so ago.

It has since been covered by other artists, including Jackson Browne in 1978; his recording was included as a segue from "The Load Out" (both recorded by him in 1977).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 6:24 am

Choucoune is a 19th-century Haitian song composed by Michel Mauléart Monton with lyrics from a poem by Oswald Durand. It was rewritten with English lyrics in the 20th century as Yellow Bird. Over the 1960s there were many covers of this song recorded and released. One notable version is The Brothers Four in 1960.

EYNYIw9R2R0

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 2:56 pm

"Let It Be Me" is a popular song originally published in French in 1955 as "Je t'appartiens". It became popular worldwide with an English version by The Everly Brothers and later with the duet by Betty Everett and Jerry Butler. The Everly Brothers helped to further popularize the song with their 1960 rendition of "Let It Be Me" which reached 7th position on the Billboard Hot 100. The harmony arrangement of this version was often emulated in subsequent remakes. This was the first Everly Brothers single to be recorded in New York, and not in Nashville. The musicians that backed up the brothers on the record included Howard Collins, Barry Galbraith and Mundell Lowe on guitar, Lloyd Trotman on bass, Jerry Allison on drums and Hank Rowland on piano.

lvA-STM7oJk

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 10:11 am

"He'll Have to Stay" is a song written by Audrey Allison, Charles Grean, and Joe Allison and performed by Jeanne Black. It reached #4 on the US pop chart, #6 on the US country chart, #11 on the US R&B chart, and #41 on the UK Singles Chart in 1960. The song was featured on her 1960 album, A Little Bit Lonely. The song is an answer song to Jim Reeves' 1959 hit "He'll Have to Go". It was produced by Ken Nelson. The single ranked #52 on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1960. Skeeter Davis released a version of the song on her 1961 album, Here's the Answer

BvLfMeM1AB0

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/17 at 9:26 am

"Are You Lonesome Tonight?" was released as a single by Elvis Presley on November 1, 1960, with "I Gotta Know" on the B-side, and pressing was assigned to plants in New Jersey, Indianapolis and Los Angeles. Copies (with a sleeve featuring a smiling Presley in a chartreuse shirt against a blue background) were sent to 5,000 disc jockeys. Orders for the single began at 900,000 copies the first week and climbed to 1,200,000 during the second. The song debuted on Billboard's Top 40 at number 35 on November 14, moved a week later to number two and topped the chart by November 28 (replacing Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs' "Stay"). Presley's 15th chart-topping single, it held the top position until January 9, 1961. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" peaked at number three on the R&B chart, remaining on it for ten weeks. The song topped the Cash Box singles chart and reached number 45 on the Cash Box country singles chart. A month after its UK release it topped the UK Singles Chart. Three months after its release, the single had sales of two million copies worldwide; that year, the Recording Industry Association of America certified it gold.

_cS5aCozhcA
Who here has heard the 'laughing' version of Elvis' "Are You Lonesome Tonight"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/17 at 9:29 am

"Apache" is a much-recorded instrumental written by English composer Jerry Lordan. The original version was by Bert Weedon, but Lordan did not like the version. The British rock group The Shadows recorded "Apache" in June 1960 and released it the next month. It topped the UK Singles Chart for five weeks. In 1961, Danish jazz guitarist Jørgen Ingmann's cover of "Apache" went to #2 in the US and #2 in Canada.

QhIs1k8yuPU

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/17 at 1:09 pm

"Paper Roses" is a popular song written and composed by Fred Spielman and Janice Torre. It first was a top five hit in 1960 for Anita Bryant with Monty Kelly's Orchestra and Chorus. Marie Osmond later covered it in 1973 and took her version to number one on the US country chart.

0UoRKstI8Q4

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/18 at 9:47 am

"Mamma" is a popular song composed in 1940 by Cesare Andrea Bixio with Italian lyrics by Bixio Cherubini under the title "Mamma son tanto felice" (Mum, I am so happy). Probably the most famous cover is by Connie Francis in 1960 for her album Connie Francis Sings Italian Favorites, with her hit single released in February 1960. Arranged and conducted by Tony Osborne, the Connie Francis version of the song was a number two hit in the UK, and peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. In 1946, the English lyrics were written by Harold Barlow and Phil Brito who had their popular recording hit the charts in May 1946 under the title of "Mama".

FXmod0A0mxU

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/20 at 2:21 pm

"The Green Leaves of Summer" is a song by Paul Francis Webster, with music by Dimitri Tiomkin, written for the 1960 film The Alamo. It was performed in the film's score by the vocal group The Brothers Four. In 1961, the song was nominated for an Academy Award; its parent soundtrack, for the film The Alamo, was awarded a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score.

1BRqA3DSmpc

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/20 at 11:15 am

"Because They're Young" is an instrumental performed by Duane Eddy. It appeared on his 1960 album, $1,000,000.00 Worth of Twang. It reached #2 on the UK Singles Chart. In the US, it went to #4 on the Billboard Hot 100, and #17 on the R&B chart.

Cklf5k10yLU

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 6:53 am

"Non, je ne regrette rien" ("No, I do not regret anything") is a French song composed by Charles Dumont, with lyrics by Michel Vaucaire. It was written in 1956, and is best known through Édith Piaf's 1960 recording, which spent seven weeks atop the French Singles & Airplay Reviews chart.

Q3Kvu6Kgp88

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/21 at 6:14 am

"Wooden Heart" ("Muss i denn" lit. Must I then) is a song recorded by Elvis Presley and featured in the 1960 Elvis Presley film G.I. Blues. The song was a hit single for Presley in the UK Singles Chart, reaching No. 1 for six weeks in March and April 1961. "Wooden Heart", created by Fred Wise, Ben Weisman, Kay Twomey and German bandleader Bert Kaempfert, was based on a German folk song by Friedrich Silcher, "Muss i denn", originating from the Rems Valley in Württemberg, southwest Germany. "Wooden Heart" features several lines from the original folk song. Marlene Dietrich recorded a version of the song sometime before 1958, pre-dating Presley, in the original German language, which appears as a B-side on a 1959 version of her single "Lili Marlene", released by Philips in association with Columbia Records.

Hlbu6SsjlSE

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/21 at 9:59 am

"Goodness Gracious Me" is a comedy song recorded by Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren. Released by Parlophone, it was a top 5 UK single in 1960. It features Sellers acting the role of an Indian doctor, and Loren of his wealthy Italian patient – who fall in love. The song was conceived and instigated by George Martin, who was the producer at that time of Peter Sellers's comedy recordings. Martin commissioned David Lee and Herbert Kretzmer to write the song.

SjEqtR8BAUs

Written By: Contigo on 05/04/22 at 10:03 am

The Brothers Four - Greenfields 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YUSdtP-Q4

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/22 at 10:23 am

The Brothers Four - Greenfields 
I am wondering why I had not included this song in this topic, the song is a classic for this era.

By the way, the song "Greenfields" is one of the first song I was to sing on karaoke, and in this topic...

"Let It Be Me" is a popular song originally published in French in 1955 as "Je t'appartiens". It became popular worldwide with an English version by The Everly Brothers and later with the duet by Betty Everett and Jerry Butler. The Everly Brothers helped to further popularize the song with their 1960 rendition of "Let It Be Me" which reached 7th position on the Billboard Hot 100.
... is the last song I was to sing on karaoke (then my throat went).

Written By: nally on 05/15/23 at 11:13 pm

"Let It Be Me" is a popular song originally published in French in 1955 as "Je t'appartiens". It became popular worldwide with an English version by The Everly Brothers and later with the duet by Betty Everett and Jerry Butler. The Everly Brothers helped to further popularize the song with their 1960 rendition of "Let It Be Me" which reached 7th position on the Billboard Hot 100. The harmony arrangement of this version was often emulated in subsequent remakes. This was the first Everly Brothers single to be recorded in New York, and not in Nashville. The musicians that backed up the brothers on the record included Howard Collins, Barry Galbraith and Mundell Lowe on guitar, Lloyd Trotman on bass, Jerry Allison on drums and Hank Rowland on piano.

O0

Also in '60, they had a hit with "Cathy's Clown":

s-rn0sIdsZg

Check for new replies or respond here...