inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 800 Years Ago Thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/15 at 4:23 am

1215 – Rebel barons renounce their allegiance to King John of England — part of a chain of events leading to the signing of the Magna Carta.

Subject: Re: 800 Years Ago Thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/15 at 4:30 am

June 1st 1215 – Zhongdu (now Beijing), then under the control of the Jurchen ruler Emperor Xuanzong of Jin, is captured by the Mongols under Genghis Khan, ending the Battle of Zhongdu.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/15 at 9:17 am

June 15th 1215 – King John of England puts his seal to the Magna Carta.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/15 at 4:49 am

August 24th 1215 – Pope Innocent III declares Magna Carta invalid.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/16 at 2:47 am

June 14th 1216 – First Barons' War: Prince Louis of France captures the city of Winchester and soon conquers over half of the Kingdom of England.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/17 at 4:44 am

September 21st 1217 – Livonian Crusade: The Estonian leader Lembitu and Livonian leader Kaupo the Accursed are killed in Battle of Matthew's Day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/19 at 5:00 am

June 15th 1219 – Northern Crusades: Danish victory at the Battle of Lyndanisse (modern-day Tallinn) establishes the Danish Duchy of Estonia.

Written By: karen on 01/22/21 at 6:15 am

January 22nd 1221 the town where I now live was granted a Royal Charter giving permission for markets to be held in the town.

Written By: karen on 01/27/21 at 3:10 am

January 27 1221 the town where I live was granted a Royal Charter to hold an annual street fair.

Back then it would have been a mix of stalls selling goods perhaps not always available at the market, some amusements and maybe a hiring fair of young people looking to be taken on as apprentices to learn a trade.

Nowadays (last year apart) the town centre is taken over for four days in November with fair ground rides and attractions. There is a mix of small roundabouts, fun houses, etc to appeal to young children and larger rides for the thrill seekers. Personally I go on the carousel and the dodgems, that is excitement enough for me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/21 at 3:21 am

January 27 1221 the town where I live was granted a Royal Charter to hold an annual street fair.

Back then it would have been a mix of stalls selling goods perhaps not always available at the market, some amusements and maybe a hiring fair of young people looking to be taken on as apprentices to learn a trade.

Nowadays (last year apart) the town centre is taken over for four days in November with fair ground rides and attractions. There is a mix of small roundabouts, fun houses, etc to appeal to young children and larger rides for the thrill seekers. Personally I go on the carousel and the dodgems, that is excitement enough for me!
Last year cancelled, just like Winter Wonderland here in London?

Written By: karen on 01/27/21 at 4:58 am

Last year cancelled, just like Winter Wonderland here in London?

Yes, they had originally planned to have the smaller children’s roundabouts, hook a-duck type stalls and some of the food stalls spaced around the venue. We moved into a higher tier in mid October and the council decided to cancel the whole event.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/21 at 5:06 am

Yes, they had originally planned to have the smaller children’s roundabouts, hook a-duck type stalls and some of the food stalls spaced around the venue. We moved into a higher tier in mid October and the council decided to cancel the whole event.
,,,and as life goes, it would had been prefect milestone anniversary to celebrate.

Check for new replies or respond here...