inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Great fires of history

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/06/15 at 12:23 pm

I'm a day off from observing the end of the Great London Fire!  One of more infamous fires in history.  Has there been any BIG fires in your area that you'd care to share a small history of?

The Great Fire of London was a major conflagration that swept through the central parts of the English city of London, from Sunday, 2 September to Wednesday, 5 September 1666. The fire gutted the medieval City of London inside the old Roman city wall. It threatened, but did not reach, the aristocratic district of Westminster, Charles II's Palace of Whitheall, and most of the suburban slums. It consumed 13,200 houses, 87 parish churches, St Paul's Cathedral and most of the buildings of the City authorities. It is estimated to have destroyed the homes of 70,000 of the City's 80,000 inhabitants.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b6/Great_Fire_London.jpg/350px-Great_Fire_London.jpg

Subject: Re: Great fires of history

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/15 at 12:29 pm

I'm a day off from observing the end of the Great London Fire!  One of more infamous fires in history.  Has there been any BIG fires in your area that you'd care to share a small history of?

The Great Fire of London was a major conflagration that swept through the central parts of the English city of London, from Sunday, 2 September to Wednesday, 5 September 1666. The fire gutted the medieval City of London inside the old Roman city wall. It threatened, but did not reach, the aristocratic district of Westminster, Charles II's Palace of Whitheall, and most of the suburban slums. It consumed 13,200 houses, 87 parish churches, St Paul's Cathedral and most of the buildings of the City authorities. It is estimated to have destroyed the homes of 70,000 of the City's 80,000 inhabitants.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b6/Great_Fire_London.jpg/350px-Great_Fire_London.jpg
The Monument to the Great Fire of London, more commonly known simply as the Monument, is a fluted Doric column in the City of London, near the northern end of London Bridge, which commemorates the Great Fire of London.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/The_Monument_to_the_Great_Fire_of_London.JPG/340px-The_Monument_to_the_Great_Fire_of_London.JPG

It stands at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, 202 ft (62 m) tall and 202 ft (62 m) from the spot in Pudding Lane where the Great Fire started on 2 September 1666. Another monument, the Golden Boy of Pye Corner, marks the point near Smithfield where the fire was stopped. Constructed between 1671 and 1677, it is the tallest isolated stone column in the world and was built on the site of St. Margaret's, Fish Street, the first church to be burnt down by the Great Fire.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/06/15 at 12:40 pm

The Monument to the Great Fire of London, more commonly known simply as the Monument, is a fluted Doric column in the City of London, near the northern end of London Bridge, which commemorates the Great Fire of London.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/The_Monument_to_the_Great_Fire_of_London.JPG/340px-The_Monument_to_the_Great_Fire_of_London.JPG

It stands at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, 202 ft (62 m) tall and 202 ft (62 m) from the spot in Pudding Lane where the Great Fire started on 2 September 1666. Another monument, the Golden Boy of Pye Corner, marks the point near Smithfield where the fire was stopped. Constructed between 1671 and 1677, it is the tallest isolated stone column in the world and was built on the site of St. Margaret's, Fish Street, the first church to be burnt down by the Great Fire.

That's interesting!  I'd never heard about any monuments to it.  Thanks for sharing it with us

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/06/15 at 12:44 pm

The Chicago Fire of 1871, also called the Great Chicago Fire, burned from October 8 to October 10, 1871, and destroyed thousands of buildings, killed an estimated 300 people and caused an estimated $200 million in damages. Legend has it that a cow kicked over a lantern in a barn and started the fire, but other theories hold that humans or even a meteor might have been responsible for the event that left an area of about four miles long and almost a mile wide of the Windy City, including its business district, in ruins.

http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2014/02/chicago-fire-H.jpeg

In October 1871, dry weather and an abundance of wooden buildings, streets and sidewalks made Chicago vulnerable to fire. The Great Chicago Fire began on the night of October 8, in or around a barn located on the property of Patrick and Catherine O’Leary at 137 DeKoven Street on the city’s southwest side. Legend holds that the blaze started when the family’s cow knocked over a lighted lantern; however, Catherine O’Leary denied this charge, and the true cause of the fire has never been determined. What is known is that the fire quickly grew out of control and moved rapidly north and east toward the city center.

Did You Know?

The same day the Great Chicago Fire began, a fire broke out in Peshtigo, Wisconsin, in which more than 1,000 people perished.

The fire burned wildly throughout the following day, finally coming under control on October 10, when rain gave a needed boost to firefighting efforts. The Great Chicago Fire left an estimated 300 people dead and 100,000 others homeless. More than 17,000 structures were destroyed and damages were estimated at $200 million.

The disaster prompted an outbreak of looting and lawlessness. Companies of soldiers were summoned to Chicago and martial law was declared on October 11, ending three days of chaos. Martial law was lifted several weeks later.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/06/15 at 12:46 pm

The Great Atlanta Fire of 1917 began just after noon on 21 May 1917 in the Old Fourth Ward of Atlanta, Georgia. It is unclear just how the fire started, but it was fueled by hot temperatures and strong winds which propelled the fire. The fire, which burned for nearly 10 hours, destroyed 300 acres (120 ha) and 1,900 structures displacing over 10,000 people. Damages were estimated at $5 million, ($92 million when adjusted for inflation).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/06/15 at 12:50 pm

1906 Great Earthquake & Fire

The 1906 Earthquake & Fire The fire that destroyed a great part of San Francisco in three days, beginning April 18, 1906, was the greatest conflagration humans have ever witnessed.

On the morning of April 18, 1906, the first jarring shock of an earthquake struck at 5:12 AM and lasted 28 seconds.  On that fateful morning the population was awakened to the terrifying spectacle of their city's destruction.  Within a few hours 52 fires had started, many of which would have been general alarm blazes even under ordinary conditions.  Before the flames were extinguished three days later, 478 persons were dead, including the Chief of the Fire Department, Dennis T. Sullivan, and the property loss was $350,000,000. The area burned was 4.7 miles square miles, which included all of the downtown territory.

A three-alarm fire had broken out during the earlier part of the morning at Bay and Mason Streets, and most of the firemen in the downtown district had just turned in, dead tired, when the quake struck.  The entire alarm system went out at the first shock.  Of the 600 glass wet batteries operating the system, the earthquake broke 556 of them.  As a result, not one alarm was ever sounded for this greatest of all fires!

The main reservoirs for the city were twenty miles away; six miles of the distance was disclosed to be along the quake's "fault line" and was destroyed.  Other pipe lines turned out to be in filled ground and were broken. Water had to be sucked from the cisterns that were soon dry, even from the large main sewers.

A Chinese laundry on the south side of Howard near Third was one of the first to catch fire.  It was across the street from No. 4 Engine. There was no water to fight with, and it soon got out of control. Hydrant after hydrant was tested without getting a drop.

http://guardiansofthecity.org/sffd/images/history/burningcity5.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/15 at 12:53 pm

What a hot thread.  :o

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/06/15 at 1:40 pm

What a hot thread.  :o

It's practically blazing! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/15 at 2:25 pm

The Chicago Fire of 1871, also called the Great Chicago Fire, burned from October 8 to October 10, 1871, and destroyed thousands of buildings, killed an estimated 300 people and caused an estimated $200 million in damages. Legend has it that a cow kicked over a lantern in a barn and started the fire, but other theories hold that humans or even a meteor might have been responsible for the event that left an area of about four miles long and almost a mile wide of the Windy City, including its business district, in ruins.

http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2014/02/chicago-fire-H.jpeg

In October 1871, dry weather and an abundance of wooden buildings, streets and sidewalks made Chicago vulnerable to fire. The Great Chicago Fire began on the night of October 8, in or around a barn located on the property of Patrick and Catherine O’Leary at 137 DeKoven Street on the city’s southwest side. Legend holds that the blaze started when the family’s cow knocked over a lighted lantern; however, Catherine O’Leary denied this charge, and the true cause of the fire has never been determined. What is known is that the fire quickly grew out of control and moved rapidly north and east toward the city center.

Did You Know?

The same day the Great Chicago Fire began, a fire broke out in Peshtigo, Wisconsin, in which more than 1,000 people perished.

The fire burned wildly throughout the following day, finally coming under control on October 10, when rain gave a needed boost to firefighting efforts. The Great Chicago Fire left an estimated 300 people dead and 100,000 others homeless. More than 17,000 structures were destroyed and damages were estimated at $200 million.

The disaster prompted an outbreak of looting and lawlessness. Companies of soldiers were summoned to Chicago and martial law was declared on October 11, ending three days of chaos. Martial law was lifted several weeks later.

The day before the Chicago fire, there was an article in the paper praising the firefighters for taking care of Mrs. O'Leary's barn. Ironically, Mrs. O'Leary's barn was left standing after the fire.

I learned about Peshtigo just last week when I watched the show Diggers (not to be confused with the Duggars. lol). There were also fires in Urbana, Illinois along with Holland, Port Huron, & Manistee, all in Michigan on the same day.

There is a theory that the fires were caused by the Comet Biela breaking up. I do believe this theory because how else would you explain ALL those fires starting at the same time in the same area?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/06/15 at 2:36 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/The_Great_Chelsea_Fire_of_1973.jpg
Great Chelsea Fire of 1973

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/15 at 4:13 pm

It's practically blazing!

On a more serious note, have you ever had a fire close to your house, like another house, in your neighborhood?  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/15 at 4:17 pm

On a more serious note, have you ever had a fire close to your house, like another house, in your neighborhood?  :o
I have seen several house fires, one was close to where I live, but in general terms I keep my distance from them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/15 at 4:30 pm

The King's Cross fire broke out on 18 November 1987 at approximately 19:30 at King's Cross St. Pancras tube station, a major interchange on the London Underground. The fire killed 31 people and injured 100 people. As well as the mainline railway stations above ground and subsurface platforms for the Metropolitan lines, there were platforms deeper underground for the Northern, Piccadilly, and Victoria lines. The fire started on an escalator serving the Piccadilly line and 15 minutes after being reported, as the first members of the London Fire Brigade were investigating, the fire flashed over, filling the underground ticket office with heat and smoke.

The subsequent public inquiry determined that the fire had started due to a lit match being dropped onto the escalator and suddenly increased in intensity due to a previously unknown trench effect. London Underground were strongly criticised for their attitude toward fires. Staff were complacent because there had never been a fatal fire on the Underground, and had been given little or no training to deal with fires or evacuation.

The publication of the report led to resignations of senior management in both London Underground and London Regional Transport and to the introduction of new fire safety regulations.

Smoking on Underground trains was banned in July 1984. Following a fire at Oxford Circus station in 1985, the ban was extended to all underground stations in February 1985. However, smokers often ignored this and lit cigarettes on the escalators on their way out.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/KingsXfire.jpg/450px-KingsXfire.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Kingscrossmemorial.jpg/330px-Kingscrossmemorial.jpg
Memorial plaque to the 1987 fire in the station

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/15 at 4:31 pm

The King's Cross fire broke out on 18 November 1987 at approximately 19:30 at King's Cross St. Pancras tube station, a major interchange on the London Underground. The fire killed 31 people and injured 100 people. As well as the mainline railway stations above ground and subsurface platforms for the Metropolitan lines, there were platforms deeper underground for the Northern, Piccadilly, and Victoria lines. The fire started on an escalator serving the Piccadilly line and 15 minutes after being reported, as the first members of the London Fire Brigade were investigating, the fire flashed over, filling the underground ticket office with heat and smoke.

The subsequent public inquiry determined that the fire had started due to a lit match being dropped onto the escalator and suddenly increased in intensity due to a previously unknown trench effect. London Underground were strongly criticised for their attitude toward fires. Staff were complacent because there had never been a fatal fire on the Underground, and had been given little or no training to deal with fires or evacuation.

The publication of the report led to resignations of senior management in both London Underground and London Regional Transport and to the introduction of new fire safety regulations.

Smoking on Underground trains was banned in July 1984. Following a fire at Oxford Circus station in 1985, the ban was extended to all underground stations in February 1985. However, smokers often ignored this and lit cigarettes on the escalators on their way out.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/KingsXfire.jpg/450px-KingsXfire.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Kingscrossmemorial.jpg/330px-Kingscrossmemorial.jpg
Memorial plaque to the 1987 fire in the station

On a personal note, I traveled on the London Underground the following morning and I could smell the arid smoke on another line about 2 miles away.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/15 at 4:51 pm

When I was about 6 or 7, a neighbor's house had a fire. Their street started in front of our house and their house was the second house on the block. So, it was pretty close. The only thing that perished in the fire was a pet snake. The entire neighborhood came together for the family. Families took in all the kids and my mother was kind of enough to take in their cats-Siamese. About 3 months later, we had a bunch of half Siamese kittens.  :o :o :D :D ;D ;D ;D

After that, I was so afraid of fire that I would sleep in my clothes, shoes, and even my coat in case of fire. I recently found out that one member of that family (a girl I used to play with) did perish in a fire when she was 18.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

I wrote about this one not too long ago. Back in May, I woke up about 3 in the morning and I smelled smoke. I woke Carlos up (or maybe he was awake) and asked him if he smelled it. He did. We got out of bed and started looking all over the house. None of the smoke detectors weren't going off. We then went outside and saw a fire truck down the street. We had a sigh of relief that it was outside and not in our beautiful house. The next day, we walked down to check it out. It was quite a distance away for us to be smelling it. But, the house was pretty much gutted. Luckily, it was empty so no one was hurt. It was pretty weird because the electricity was off so who knows what started the fire.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CatwomanofV/018_zpsoiktyivf.jpg

Yeah, that is one of my pics.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/15 at 5:10 pm

I have seen several house fires, one was close to where I live, but in general terms I keep my distance from them.

I have been lucky. Mostly because our family is very OCD. Double check the oven, MM!

Also, I have not lived by or close to a house that was on fire!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/15 at 5:11 pm

I have been lucky. Mostly because our family is very OCD. Double check the oven, MM!
We are the same switching off electric items before leaving home or going to bed.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/15 at 5:12 pm

When I was about 6 or 7, a neighbor's house had a fire. Their street started in front of our house and their house was the second house on the block. So, it was pretty close. The only thing that perished in the fire was a pet snake. The entire neighborhood came together for the family. Families took in all the kids and my mother was kind of enough to take in their cats-Siamese. About 3 months later, we had a bunch of half Siamese kittens.  :o :o :D :D ;D ;D ;D

After that, I was so afraid of fire that I would sleep in my clothes, shoes, and even my coat in case of fire. I recently found out that one member of that family (a girl I used to play with) did perish in a fire when she was 18.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

I wrote about this one not too long ago. Back in May, I woke up about 3 in the morning and I smelled smoke. I woke Carlos up (or maybe he was awake) and asked him if he smelled it. He did. We got out of bed and started looking all over the house. None of the smoke detectors weren't going off. We then went outside and saw a fire truck down the street. We had a sigh of relief that it was outside and not in our beautiful house. The next day, we walked down to check it out. It was quite a distance away for us to be smelling it. But, the house was pretty much gutted. Luckily, it was empty so no one was hurt. It was pretty weird because the electricity was off so who knows what started the fire.

Cat

Wow, that's pretty close.  :P

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/15 at 6:56 pm

That time in 08 I almost lost my house.... Tea Fire Santa Barbara.

http://www.voadsbc.org/Resources/Pictures/Tea_fire_harbor.jpg

My place is located between the question mark and the 192  :-\\

http://dorionc.com/assets/img/tea-fire-map.png

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/15 at 7:06 pm

That time in 08 I almost lost my house.... Tea Fire Santa Barbara.

http://www.voadsbc.org/Resources/Pictures/Tea_fire_harbor.jpg

My place is located between the question mark and the 192  :-\\

http://dorionc.com/assets/img/tea-fire-map.png

That's scary.  :o

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/15 at 7:59 pm

That's scary.  :o

Yeah it was

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/15 at 8:01 pm

Back in 2013, a massive fire in my hometown caught world attention.  A downtown apartment complex that was being built caught fire and created a huge blaze, trapping the crane operator high above.  His airlifted rescue by helicopter was broadcast by the news media around the world.

Other worries were a gas station that was right across the street might explode, and the fire heating up the metal crane could cause it to topple over the buildings around.  Luckily none of that happened

KtzKEW7rubg 7UU2yH0dDNs

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/15 at 8:03 pm

Back in 2013, a massive fire in my hometown caught world attention.  A downtown apartment complex that was being built caught fire and created a huge blaze, trapping the crane operator high above.  His airlifted rescue by helicopter was broadcast by the news media around the world.

Other worries were a gas station that was right across the street might explode, and the fire heating up the metal crane could cause it to topple over the buildings around.  Luckily none of that happened

KtzKEW7rubg 7UU2yH0dDNs

Amazing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/15 at 11:40 am

I'm wondering if this thread should be in More Than a Decade?

Thoughts?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/15 at 12:57 pm

Thoughts?

Cat

meh.. it's my fault... i didn't pay attention to the category. I brought it to the present...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/15 at 1:51 pm

meh.. it's my fault... i didn't pay attention to the category. I brought it to the present...

No, because I mentioned something that happened this past May-and even posted a pic. That's why I'm thinking it should be in the other section.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:23 pm

I've seen them on the news but they were in a different part in Queens.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:24 pm

Cat

Wow, that must have been devastating!  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:26 pm

Also, I have not lived by or close to a house that was on fire!

That's what our family does, we always try to make sure the electricity is off.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 2:28 pm

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/238008/1/The-Great-Fire-Of-New-York.jpg
The Great Fire of New York

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 2:29 pm

http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/238008/1/The-Great-Fire-Of-New-York.jpg
The Great Fire of New York
Is it known how it started?

Written By: Howard on 09/07/15 at 3:55 pm

looks like it started inside the building.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/15 at 3:56 pm

looks like it started inside the building.
How did it start and what kind of building was it?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/07/15 at 10:54 pm

Thoughts?

Cat

Sure, might as well. It doesn't really matter much to me.  As long as it spurs conversation, then I'm happy.

I think there was a big fire in New York like a week after 9/11, when an airplane crashed into a neighborhood, not sure *which* neighborhood.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/07/15 at 10:59 pm

The 1835 Great Fire of New York in New York City covered 17 city blocks, destroyed hundreds of buildings, killed two people, and cost an estimated $20 million in property damage (in 1830s dollars).  The Great Fire of New York began on the evening of December 16, 1835 in a five-story warehouse at 25 Merchant Street, now known as Beaver Street, at the intersection of Hanover Square, Manhattan and Wall Street. As it spread, gale-force winds blowing from the northwest towards the East River proved to be a great obstacle in containing the fire. At the time of the fire, major water sources including the East River and the Hudson River were frozen solid in temperatures as low as −17 °F (−27 °C).

Recovery meant improved buildings, which would require financing. Negotiations were swiftly undertaken, and the cooperativeness of banks was crucial in preventing an economic disaster:

Plans of rebuilding on an improved scale, and modes of borrowing money for that purpose, on sound securities, are under arrangement. The energy of the inhabitants, and the ready manner in which the banks had offered to make advances to the different insurance companies, as well as to private individuals, would avert, it was expected, a commercial crisis.

A major problem that resulted from the fire was the destruction of several insurance companies, which consequently went bankrupt. This created an issue of how property owners in the destroyed sections of the city might file claims. The fire occurred in the middle of an economic boom caused by the recent opening of the Erie Canal, and the destroyed wooden buildings were quickly replaced by larger stone and brick ones that were less prone to fire. The fire also prompted construction of a new municipal water supply, now known as the Old Croton Aqueduct, and a reform and expansion of the fire service. Still, the insurance companies that lost buildings in the fire decided rebuilding was not worth the risk, and moved operations to Hartford, Connecticut. Today, Hartford is still known as the "Insurance Capital of the World."

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/07/15 at 11:09 pm

The Great Pittsburg(h) fire of 1845

One of the worst disasters to befall the residents of the City of Pittsburgh was the Great Fire of 1845. The holocaust began at approximately noon on April 10, 1845. It started in an icehouse on Second Avenue and spread throughout the Golden Triangle. By the time the flames had subsided over two-thirds of the city had burnt to the ground. Over 1200 buildings were destroyed, and 12,000 were left homeless. The Monongahela Bridge (the predecessor of the modern day Smithfield Street Bridge) was reduced to ashes. The fire comsumed nearly sixty acres of real estate and the city suffered $12,000,000 in damages.

The early-19th century brought rapid growth to the city of Pittsburgh. By 1845, it's population was over 20,000, and had swelled due to the recent construction of the Pennsylvania Canal. The city struggled to keep up with the increasing population, and sub-standard building practices resulted in a patchwork of large homes and businesses interspersed with rows of tightly packed wooden structures that housed the largely immigrant labor force.

Pittsburgh's infrastructure was ill-suited for the type of population and construction expansion experienced in the early-1800s. One of the main problems facing the growing city was poor water pressure and the insufficient equipping of its ten volunteer fire companies. In 1844 the city had completed construction of a new reservoir. The water lines and pumpers, however, were inadequate to fight a major blaze. There were just two water mains to service the entire city. To make matters worse, the fire companies did not have enough hose to reach the center of the city from the rivers.

The iron industry had grown to account for a quarter of the city's industrial output. The furnaces of iron and glass industries filled the air with coal dust and soot. The atmosphere was saturated by the smoke from the factories. Other industries contributed to this volatile mix, releasing flour dust and cotton fibers into the air, which settled throughout the city. The months of March and April saw little rainfall, leaving the new reservoir dangerously low. These conditions, coupled with gale-force winds, made Pittsburgh a prime target for the disaster that would strike at mid-day on April 10.

April 10, 1845 was a warm but windy day. Just before noon, Ann Brooks, who worked on Ferry Street, lit a fire to heat wash water and briefly left it unattended. A spark from this fire ignited a nearby ice shed. The fire companies responded, but a lack of water pressure left them helpless to fight the flames. The fire quickly spread to nearby buildings and to the Globe Cotton Factory.

The bells of the Third Presbyterian Church sounded the original alarm, but the church itself was only saved by dropping its burning wooden cornice into the street. The stone walls of the church provided barrier to prevent spread of fire towards the north and west. The winds pushed the flames to the southeast and fueled the already raging inferno.

One witness described the scene: “The roar of the flames was terrific, and their horrible glare, as they leaped through the dense black clouds of smoke, sweeping earth and sky, was appalling.”

By 2:00 PM, the fire was out of control and many of those who had been fighting the flames fled to save their own possessions. During the height of the disaster, between 2:00 and 4:00, the fire was consuming one block after another. The ocean of flame consumed wood, melted metal and glass, and collapsed stone and brick. The Bank of Pittsburgh, thought to be fireproof, fell victim when the heat of the fire shattered the windows and melted the zinc roof. The molten metal ignited the wooden interior and burned everything except the contents of the vault. The grand Monongahela House, considered the finest hotel in town, fell victim when its cupola caught fire and collapsed. Everything in the fire's path was destroyed.

http://www.brooklineconnection.com/history/Facts/images/Fire1845e.JPG

Many residents retreated to their homes and removed their belongings. Some fled to the high ground east of the city center, an area which remained free of the flames. Others fled south to the Monongahela River and were able to cross the Monongahela Bridge, which connected the city to the southern bank of the river. Unfortunately, the flames soon spread to the wood-covered structure and it ignited. The bridge was fully consumed in about fifteen minutes, leaving nothing but its supporting pylons. Those counting on riverboats to take their belongings suffered a worse fate. The boats that did not flee caught fire and burned, leaving the refugees to pile their belongings on the riverbank. Most of this material was burned by the advancing flames, stolen or looted.

The docks and warehouses on the waterfront were also consumed. Attempts to save materials by bringing them to the riverbank only delayed their destruction. The advancing fire followed the river into Pipetown, an area of worker's housing and factories, again spreading destruction. It only halted when the winds died down around 6:00. By 7:00pm the fire had run its course in the city itself, and began to die off. The Pipetown factories continued burning until 9:00pm.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/15 at 2:16 pm

How did it start and what kind of building was it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_New_York_%281776%29

Written By: Howard on 09/08/15 at 2:18 pm

Thoughts?

Cat

I guess so but you can also keep it here since we're discussing history.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/09/15 at 7:28 am

In 1997, I was staying at my mom and dad's when I smelt the smell of smoke REALLY strong.  We did the cursory check all the rooms, basement and attic, nothing.  I looked out my old bedroom window and saw what was on fire.  My cousin's house that they grew up in (but was now abandoned) and had been abandoned for several years.  It was a beautiful house, sort of California Mission Style (which in Pennsylvania, is rather uncommon).  My parents home is next to a wooded ravine, and my cousin's abandsoned house was just on the other side of the "holler" (ravine).  When we were kids, we'd take this path through the woods to get to their house.  To get to the house itself, you had to go down a VERY narrow lane that was not paved, and really only could fit one car at a time.  It was a pretty long lane (about half a mile, so it was always fun  ::) meeting a car coming out of the lane while you were driving in.)  So, it had been abandoned for so long that the neighbor built his garage so that it covered the lane (blocking any access to the house by car.)  When the house caught fire, there was no way to get a fire truck down that lane because A.) It was too narrow, and not paved  B.)The neighbor's garage blocked the road about halfway to the house.

So there is this HUGE raging fire with no way to get to it burning with woods pretty much surrounding it.  They brought a truck to my parents driveway to see if they could stretch a hose through the woods, but no, too much ground area and very steep hillside.  I'll give you a satellite view of my parents property with an area approximate to where the house burnt down.  We are darn lucky that the woods did not catch fire and in extension, my parents' home (among other neighbors homes.)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff30/bookmistress4ever/firearea1997_zpsxuj1xqmk.jpg

This is my parents home at the top, and their garage at the left, with the remains of an old brick barn behind the garage.  I've marked about where the burning house was, perhaps it was a little further off the picture.  From the white areas in the picture, and where the barn ruins were, starts a very steep and wooded ravine.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/15 at 7:28 am

Tokyo, Japan  1923 (Please excuse all of the run-on sentences, I did not write it, and I didn't feel like correcting it all.) 

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Tokyo-Japan-1923-560x345.jpg

Much like San Francisco seventeen years earlier, the city of Tokyo was both leveled by a massive earthquake and ravaged by a fire that swept through the rubble afterwards, resulting in a staggering death toll that some estimates place as high as 142,000 (with the single greatest loss of life occurring when approximately 38,000 people packed into an open space in downtown Tokyo were incinerated by a firestorm-induced fire whirl).
What made this disaster so unique was how it combined a number of factors together to produce an especially devastating effect: for example, the earthquake struck at lunchtime when many people were cooking, resulting in numerous fires breaking out throughout the city which then spread rapidly as a result of the high winds from a nearby typhoon off the coast, some of which developed into firestorms which swept across the city. Further, the quake created a tsunami which added to the death toll and the destruction, resulting in the destruction of 570,000 homes and leaving a staggering 1.9 million homeless, giving the day much of a doomsday sort of feel. Not to worry, however; the city was entirely rebuilt just in time to be incinerated again in World War II by American B-29 bombers.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/15 at 8:13 am

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, March 25, 1911

http://media.npr.org/programs/wesun/features/2008/mar/trianglefire200-1765eba4020e611bc9bda02b8a527be998ea9423-s6-c30.jpghttp://i.ytimg.com/vi/czmhls0vaY8/0.jpg

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory occupied the top three floors of a 10 story building at the corner of Greene Street and Washington Place in New York City. The garment factory, which specialized in manufacturing women's blouses, would be called a "sweat shop" in today's terminology. The workers were mainly immigrant women (some as young as 12 years old) from Italy, German and Eastern Europe, who worked 14-hour daily shifts for approximately $70 $7 per week.

Accident Waiting to Happen
The factory had flammable textiles stored throughout the building, and scraps of fabric littered the floors and overflowed from bins. Designers smoked cigarettes at their desks and regularly tossed their butts into the scrap fabric bins instead of ashtrays. (Buckets of water were located throughout the factory to extinguish the bin fires that cropped up regularly.) Per company policy, several of the exit doors were locked during business hours; when employees left for the day, they had to line up by the few unlocked doors and leave single file under the careful gaze of a supervisor to make sure they weren't stealing any fabric or other supplies.

The Fire

The quitting time bell rang at 4:45PM, and while the women were putting on their coats and gathering their belongings, someone on the eighth floor yelled "Fire!" Flames leapt up from discarded rags on the floor between the first and second row of cutting tables. One man grabbed a bucket of water and threw it on the fire, but the flames had already spread to the paper patterns hanging overhead. It seemed like only seconds after the first cry of "fire!" that the tables, partitions and ceiling were ablaze. Terrified employees crammed themselves into the single, small elevator and onto the narrow fire escape.

The fire quickly spread to the ninth and 10th floors. Some women were able to make it to the roof, where a professor at the New York University Law School next door used ladders left by painters to form a "bridge" between the two buildings and helped 69 Triangle employees to safety. Other workers were not so fortunate; when the fire escape collapsed from the stampede of panicked people, women began jumping from the windows. Engine Company 72 was the first on the scene, but the firefighters were torn between extinguishing the flames and trying to catch the jumpers in a life net. Once other fire departments reached the scene, it took 18 minutes to bring the fire under control, but not before 146 employees had lost their lives.

The Aftermath
The public outrage and the lawsuits filed by relatives of the dead led to the owners of Triangle Shirtwaist being tried for manslaughter (they were subsequently acquitted). A Factory Investigating Commission was formed, which examined the working conditions of all factories in New York City. Thanks to the findings of this Commission, 36 new laws were enacted to reform the state labor code. In addition, a Fire Prevention division was added to the city's fire department; its job was to inspect places of business and make sure they complied with the new laws, such as not locking doors during working hours and installing ceiling sprinklers.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/15 at 8:32 am

The Collinwood school fire (also known as the Lake View School fire) of Ash Wednesday, March 4, 1908, was one of the deadliest disasters of its type in the United States. The conflagration in Collinwood, Ohio (a community that has since been absorbed into the city of Cleveland), resulted in the deaths of 172 students, two teachers and a rescuer.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M958f3fbf99a1a964fc8c4773aa471093o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M0e133b4981e70d527ba48b1a09034c89o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M5e9bdd71d83d7a0bc2bc277bc00e1413H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mc77d02d7ecc4808e0b0cfe9e7ac52c58o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Fire

The Lake View School was built with load-bearing masonry outer walls, but much of the four story building's floor structure system used wooden joists. A wooden joist caught fire when it was overheated by a steam pipe. The building’s main staircase extended from the front doors of the building, up to the third floor, and had no fire doors. The stairwell acted like a chimney, helping to spread the fire quickly. Oiled wooden hall and classroom floors also fueled the fire.

Flames quickly blocked escape routes, and many students died pressed against doors that were locked or opened inward. Deputy State Fire Marshal Nathan Flegenbaum inspected the ruins the next day and "declared positively" that the doors of the schoolhouse opened toward the inside and that the rear doors were locked when the children reached them. The flammable construction gave only minutes for evacuation. Though one fire escape was accessible at the rear of the building, not all the children found their way to the exit. Panic led to a crush of a large number of students in a stairwell as students seeking escape rushed up the stairs while students above tried to descend. Most of the victims of the fire died here. Other students died of smoke inhalation or were burned to death. Some children died jumping from second- and third-story windows. Community members watched unable to help as victims trapped in the building were burned beyond recognition.
Aftermath
The fire safe building erected after the deadly fire 1911

Those killed in the fire who could not be individually identified, as well as those students whose parents could not afford a burial, were buried in a mass grave in Cleveland's Lake View Cemetery. Additionally, several families who lost their children in the fire chose to bury their children's remains adjacent to the Collinwood victims.

Following the fire, the remains of the Lake View School were demolished and a memorial garden planned for the site. A new school—Collinwood Memorial Elementary School—was built adjacent to the disaster site, and incorporated many features that had been lacking in the previous building. Unlike the building involved in the disaster, the new school incorporated fire-safe stairwells and a central alarm system, and was built of steel framing and other fire-safe materials. Collinwood Memorial Elementary was closed in the 1970s and sat vacant until it was razed in 2004. A third school, simply called Memorial Elementary, was opened in 2005 on the same site with the original memorial to the victims preserved.

In the aftermath of the catastrophic Iroquois Theatre Fire in Chicago, 1903, a national drive was instigated to upgrade safe egress from buildings. Official regulations required that doors now open from the inside and swing outward, thereby facilitating public exit. The installation of what were called "panic bar" latches was mandated for doors in schools. The final casualty of the fire was the independence of the Collinwood community itself. Unable to sufficiently guarantee fire safety resources for its residents, voters approved an annexation of Collinwood into Cleveland within two years of the fire.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/15 at 8:47 am

The Hartford Circus, July 6, 1944

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M42aa6864410fbaf53856f52df4688644H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M48ae1643ffdc9ce176b487f141922f9dH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
The Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus set up camp on Barbour Street during their stay in Hartford, Connecticut. The matinee show they played on an oppressively hot Thursday afternoon was attended by approximately 6,800 people—primarily women and children, since the men were either at work or overseas fighting World War II.

Accident Waiting to Happen
The Big Top tent had been waterproofed with a mixture of paraffin and gasoline. The wooden chairs had many layers of oil-based paint on them. The few entrances (which also served as exits) were narrow and funneled patrons into single file via metal railings to prevent non-ticket holders from sneaking inside.

The Fire
Approximately 20 minutes into the performance: the Great Wallendas were performing their high wire act while animal trainer May Kovar was leading her big cats out of the tent to their cages. The first flame was small—most would later say about the size of a 50 cent piece—on one of the sidewalls of the tent. The actual cause was never determined, but was rumored to be a carelessly tossed cigarette. Several patrons noticed it, but no one raised an alert or exited the tent—they presumed that circus personnel were aware of the situation and would handle it. (NOTE: Sociologists have found that this is a typical reaction when disaster strikes at a large venue; adult Americans are conditioned to think that someone in authority already knows what is going on and will take care of the problem.)

The flames fed on the gasoline-lined tent and the fire spread very quickly. Merle Evans, the circus' band leader, spotted flames licking up the rear sidewall and immediately directed the band to play "The Stars and Stripes Forever," the universal circus distress signal. The performers heard the song and immediately abandoned their routines. Ushers began urging patrons to exit in an orderly fashion. Unfortunately, the fire spread so fast that soon people were stampeding toward the few exits. The death toll reached 168.

The Aftermath
One thing the burn victims had in their favor was that local Hartford hospitals were well stocked with bandages and plasma due to World War II (most major U.S. hospitals were in Disaster Preparedness Mode after Pearl Harbor). Not long after the Hartford disaster, most major circuses abandoned the use of the Big Top altogether and staged their shows in existing arenas and coliseums instead.

Written By: snozberries on 10/22/15 at 9:04 am

http://daysgoneby.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1812.1.583.jpg

In 1814 the British burned the White House.... 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/10/15 at 12:23 am

Apparently there was another big fire in Pittsburgh in 1877.  I accidently came across a drawing of it while searching for smog photos.  This is a drawing, from the Steeple of a church on one of the surrounding hills in Pittsburgh, August 11, 1877.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Harpers_8_11_1877_Steeple_View_of_Pittsburgh_Conflagaration.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...