inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What did adults around in 1937 think of Snow White

Written By: d90 on 10/23/15 at 10:44 am

Did they like it

Subject: Re: What did adults around in 1937 think of Snow White

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/11/15 at 9:19 am

My dad was a 10-year-old boy in 1937 and while he didn't like it--he liked westerns and gangster pictures--his two sisters, my Aunt Evelyn and Aunt Theresa liked it a lot. And a movie was only a nickel then so they went to see it a few times. LOL.  ;D

I have a similar taste in films, not so much for westerns unless Jimmy Stewart is in it, but I'll drop everything for a good gangster picture.James Cagney, Paul Muni, Edward G. Robinson, Robert Mitchum...oh yeah.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/15 at 9:07 am

Who knows?

I like the movie, but I also like bloody action films too.

It's very nicely drawn and made.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/12/15 at 11:48 am

Who knows?

I like the movie, but I also like bloody action films too.

It's very nicely drawn and made.

It was years before I knew the film was old as it was. I mean in the early 90s as a kid my mom had this mad Disney phase so my whole room was decorated in Disney--I had Robin Williams Hook bedsheets (with the pillow turned to the Peter Pan side and not the Hook/Smee side)--Mickey Mouse dolls, pictures of Disneyland...and aSnow White coloring book. I colored Snow White Black and all the dwarves too. It was another 20 years before I saw Disney World. LOL
I prefer the bloody action films too. I watch the stuff most guys think a girl wouldn't like. I'd rather see half of New York blow up in a film than some mushy love picture. LOL.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/15 at 12:31 pm

It was years before I knew the film was old as it was. I mean in the early 90s as a kid my mom had this mad Disney phase so my whole room was decorated in Disney--I had Robin Williams Hook bedsheets (with the pillow turned to the Peter Pan side and not the Hook/Smee side)--Mickey Mouse dolls, pictures of Disneyland...and aSnow White coloring book. I colored Snow White Black and all the dwarves too. It was another 20 years before I saw Disney World. LOL
I prefer the bloody action films too. I watch the stuff most guys think a girl wouldn't like. I'd rather see half of New York blow up in a film than some mushy love picture. LOL.  ;D

I mostly watch horror films, not too much gore though. Makes me feel sick in the head. Next is comedy, but I'd watch anything that's good, and that's including Disney cartoons.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/15 at 2:33 pm

I mostly watch horror films, not too much gore though. Makes me feel sick in the head. Next is comedy, but I'd watch anything that's good, and that's including Disney cartoons.

I can tolerate horror films and I enjoy very funny comedies.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/13/15 at 6:54 am

Of course I wasn't around, but I knew that Pinocchio as a 6/7 year old new that it was old since a video promo prior to a feature (one of the Sing-a-long songs?) mentioned that the film was "50 years ago", and that made me relate that (and Snow White since I would hear "first full-length animated feature" on another cassette) to my grandparents' time who were 18, 7, 6, and 3 at the time. Since all cartoons prior to this were shorts that preceded a feature or was shown in between features, the notion of an entire feature being a cartoon really had a variety of opinions, but from what I had were favorable by the majority, and I do count film critics as adults. Reviews include critiques ranging from "Heaped in laughs", "experimental idealist", and "stupendous public acclaim" at the world premiere. It was not only notable for introducing multiplane animation, but also the first production in which a casting department for voice actors was established. It truly was animation's biggest breakthrough, and of course while geared toward children, the technical aspects meant that the adults who took their kids with them enjoyed it just as much. Sure, there was a minority who didn't fit their mold, but most generally respected its production.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/15 at 11:30 am

I guess so, Walt Disney enjoyed the fruits from it.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/15 at 5:34 pm

They probably thought it was magical. Nothing before it had been done before. It must have been something to see movies pre-1950. Everything was so new and mysterious.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/15 at 5:38 pm

I guess so, Walt Disney enjoyed the fruits from it.

and the film made a ton of money.

Check for new replies or respond here...