inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Buddy Holly-A Discussion

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/15 at 12:12 pm

We recently watched "The Buddy Holly Story" with Gary Busey and last night we watched "The Real Buddy Holly Story" a film made by Sir Paul McCartney. It was very sad that he died at such a young age (22). But, I wonder how many more songs he would have written if he didn't die in that tragic plane crash. He had 40 songs registered with ASCAP or BMI Songwriter's Associations.

He combined country, bluegrass, & rhythm & blues and created a unique sound. 

Some of his songs just seem so simple yet brilliant at the same time. "Everyday" is one of those-and one of my favorites. 

His influence was felt many, many years-even decades after he left this world. The Beatles were definitely influenced by him as were the Rolling Stones. Of course in 1971, Don McLean did "American Pie"-about the plane crash and the influence on music. The Knack did a song of his ("Heartbeat") which, IMO was a good cover. 

What are some of your favorite Buddy Holly songs?
What groups/songs do you think Buddy influenced?

Cat

Subject: Re: Buddy Holly-A Discussion

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/15 at 12:37 pm

Loved Buddy Holly ever since I first saw the Gary Busey movie back in the early 80s.  Was such a fan I bought all the cassettes and later the CDs. 

I even wanted to have 3 golden retrievers (2 females and a male) I planned on naming them Buddy, Holly and Cricket!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/15 at 12:43 pm

Cat

Like you I love Everyday  but I think That'll be the Day is my favorite followed by Not Fade Away.

You can't help but hear how he was influenced by the blues

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/15 at 12:45 pm

Loved Buddy Holly ever since I first saw the Gary Busey movie back in the early 80s.  Was such a fan I bought all the cassettes and later the CDs. 

I even wanted to have 3 golden retrievers (2 females and a male) I planned on naming them Buddy, Holly and Cricket!  ;D

Great names.  ;D ;D ;D

The documentary that Sir Paul did said that the movie with Gary Busey was full of inaccuracies.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/15 at 12:45 pm

What groups/songs do you think Buddy influenced?

Cat

Weezer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemivUKb4f4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemivUKb4f4

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/15 at 1:01 pm

I don't know much about him. I think he had his own version of Love Hurts (originally by the Everly brothers). If it was him, I really like that version along with Nazareth.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/15 at 1:02 pm

And Everyday is a 1950s classic, a classic overall.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/15 at 1:16 pm

I don't know much about him. I think he had his own version of Love Hurts (originally by the Everly brothers). If it was him, I really like that version along with Nazareth.

Actually the Everly Brothers released Love Hurts Dec 1960 and Buddy died Feb 1959.

I don't know if Buddy did Love Hurts tho. I can't find any reference for it.

You may be thinking of Love is Strange.  (better known version by Micky and Sylvia) made famous (in my opinion) by Dirty Dancing  ;D  even tho Mickey and Sylvia released it in 1956 

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/15 at 1:18 pm

Actually the Everly Brothers released Love Hurts Dec 1960 and Buddy died Feb 1959.

I don't know if Buddy did Love Hurts tho. I can't find any reference for it.

You may be thinking of Love is Strange.  (better known version by Micky and Sylvia) made famous (in my opinion) by Dirty Dancing  ;D

Oops! Just found out it was a Roy Orbison version, not a Buddy Holly version.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/15 at 1:21 pm

From Wikipedia:

"Love Hurts" is a song, written and composed by Boudleaux Bryant. First recorded by The Everly Brothers in July 1960, the song is also well known from a 1975 international hit version by the hard rock band Nazareth and in the UK by a top 5 hit in 1975 by Jim Capaldi.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/15 at 1:24 pm

Oops! Just found out it was a Roy Orbison version, not a Buddy Holly version.  :o

that makes sense

Written By: Howard on 12/26/15 at 1:56 pm

Everyday and Peggy Sue.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/26/15 at 2:12 pm

Buddy Holly - among the most important pioneers of the whole Rock & Roll genre...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EXhCqSmIdk

Maybe Baby  8)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/27/15 at 9:29 am

I haven't heard all 40 of his tunes but I love all the ones I have heard.  Use to listen to him will watching the submarine races 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/27/15 at 4:56 pm

I'm an unabashed Buddy Holly fan. Whenever I'm having a bad day, all I have to do is put "Oh, Boy!" on the iPod and it cheers me right up every time. 8)

Simply put, the man was nothing short of a musical genius. His time was short, but the number of artists that he inspired is literally a who's-who of '60s rock icons (Beatles, Stones, Dylan). There's a reason why February 3, 1959 is known as "The Day the Music Died".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/27/15 at 7:35 pm

Live, on Ed Sullivan show - That'll Be The Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVGM86XIilw

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/27/15 at 8:56 pm

Buddy Holly with Waylon Jennings in a New York City photo booth, January, 1959.

http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Buddy-700x233.jpg

Waylon Jennings was hired by Holly to play bass for him on the Winter Dance Party Tour, which began January 23rd, 1959, in Milwaukee. Jennings, 21 at the time, had been in New York City recording sessions produced by Holly, and after taking a train to Chicago, met up with the rest of Holly's band. Problems first arose when the tour buses hired to transport the group began breaking down. After a show in Clear Lake, Iowa, on February 2nd, Holly decided to charter a plane for himself, guitarist Tommy Allsup and Jennings so they could fly to Fargo, North Dakota, instead of taking the long, frozen bus trip. Richardson, who was suffering from the flu, asked Jennings for his seat on the plane, and Valens asked the same of Allsup. When Jennings told Holly that he was going to take the bus, Holly jokingly told him he hoped the bus broke down, to which Jennings replied, "I hope your ol' plane crashes."

Source http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flashback-waylon-jennings-cheats-death-20150203

These words haunted Waylon Jennings for the rest of his life. He went on to greater fame as one of the pioneers of the "outlaw country" movement.

Written By: annimal on 12/27/15 at 11:28 pm

know and love  Maybe Baby  and  That'll Be The Day.  Don't think I know any others.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/15 at 2:27 pm

Holly jokingly told him he hoped the bus broke down, to which Jennings replied, "I hope your ol' plane crashes."

That's not right for someone jokingly to say that to someone, What were they thinking? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...