inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone here remember the JFK Assassination?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/01/16 at 12:35 am

It's now been over 52 years since that fateful day on November 22, 1963 so I doubt there would be very many, but can any of the older members here actually remember the Kennedy Assassination? Or, perhaps some later '60s events like the assassinations of MLK or RFK?

Subject: Re: Does anyone here remember the JFK Assassination?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/01/16 at 2:57 pm

It's now been over 52 years since that fateful day on November 22, 1963 so I doubt there would be very many, but can any of the older members here actually remember the Kennedy Assassination? Or, perhaps some later '60s events like the assassinations of MLK or RFK?

I was only 3 when JFK was killed - no memory of it.

I remember the MLK assassination - I was eight - my dad told me about it, and as I didn't know who he was, I asked "was he a king?".  Dad explained him to me as best as he could and I understood MLK was somebody important but didn't understand exactly why.  I remember Mom seeming sad about it, as we watched it on the news.

On the other hand when RFK was killed I felt slightly more grown, so I remember feeling more of my own "malaise" when it happened.  I also remember watching about it on the news (I didn't usually watch the news unless my parents alerted me to something, or else when breaking news "cut in" to my regular programs, which was the case here.)  It did take me a while to understand who RFK was besides "brother of the former president"...    :( 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/16 at 3:13 pm

Apparently I was in front of the t.v. when it happened but don't remember it. I know I will be dating myself when I say that I was just a toddler.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 01/01/16 at 4:09 pm

I was only 3. I thought I remembered it ... Until I recalled that we only got tv in 1964. I was remembering the footage being replayed at a later date. The same footage that is replayed time and again.

That's the problem with early memories on tv. We could be recalling a later 'replay'.

I do remember Bobby Kennedy's assassination news on tv. I became fascinated by the whole Kennedy clan/Camelot story.

I recall the first moon walk.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/16 at 7:11 am

The first assassination I can recall is hearing Robert Kennedy demise on the radio.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 01/03/16 at 5:55 am

I'm probably the only person in my entire extended family who doesn't remember (excluding numerous "nth nephews and nieces" - not sure if that's the correct genealogical term, but you probably know what I'm getting at).  The earliest memory that I can tie to an approximate date is seeing Kubrick's 2001.  That would've been around mid-June 1968, which is after all those events.  My 1960s memories are very spotty.  I can remember the Apollo 11 Moon landing, seeing Nixon on TV, but not LBJ, Vietnam covered on the nightly news, body counts, gawking at my grandmother's lava lamp, my aunts gawking at hippies, YMCA swimming lessons, Christmases, birthdays, watching Star Trek.  Mostly I just remember the awesome music.

My then 4-year-old sister saw JFK when he visited Hawaii, less than 6 months before his assassination.  She was 8 and 9 when MLK and RFK were killed.  Most of my aunts and uncles were born between 1895 and 1935 and most of my cousins were born between 1920 and 1960, so most probably remembered at least some of those events, but I was only 1 to 2 years old in 1968.  My mother was a 37-year-old high school teacher in November 1963, and she said one of her students, who had been listening to the radio, burst into her classroom screaming hysterically about the news.

Both my parents also remembered the attack on Pearl Harbor.  My dad actually witnessed part of it (he was 25 at the time).

Written By: Heinz57 on 06/05/17 at 4:09 pm

I remember. I was in first grade. It's all we talked about for days. Terrible times.

Written By: Redhairkid on 06/09/17 at 11:04 am

I remember Doctor King's assassination. We discussed it in school. Respecting President Kennedy, my mother said she remembered me hearing it on television and running to tell her.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/17 at 11:26 am

Revealed when the latest batch of documents relating to the assassination was released yesterday:

Cambridge News 'received anonymous JFK assassination tip-off'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41773716

A British local newspaper received an anonymous call about "some big news" in the US, shortly before President John F Kennedy was assassinated, according to documents. A memo dated 26 November 1963 said the call was made to the Cambridge News at 18:05 GMT on 22 November 1963. This was 25 minutes before Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/17 at 1:42 pm

Revealed when the latest batch of documents relating to the assassination was released yesterday:

Cambridge News 'received anonymous JFK assassination tip-off'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41773716

A British local newspaper received an anonymous call about "some big news" in the US, shortly before President John F Kennedy was assassinated, according to documents. A memo dated 26 November 1963 said the call was made to the Cambridge News at 18:05 GMT on 22 November 1963. This was 25 minutes before Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas.

What was this "big news" about? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/17 at 1:46 pm

What was this "big news" about? ???
The phone call was received 25 minutes before the assassination of JFK.

Written By: d90 on 10/29/17 at 12:49 pm

I was not around when it happened.  My mom heard about the assassination from her school teacher. My dad was sick at home that day and saw the tv news about it. My dad actually met John F Kennedy ' s  younger brother Ted when he was a kid due to my great uncle's wife having connections to the Kennedy family.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/17 at 2:05 pm

The phone call was received 25 minutes before the assassination of JFK.

Lee Harvey Oswald was on the prowl.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/17 at 2:41 am

Lee Harvey Oswald was on the prowl.
I do not think LHO made a phone call to an obscure newspaper in Cambrdgeshire, UK, 25 minutes before committing the atrocity.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/17 at 2:32 pm

I do not think LHO made a phone call to an obscure newspaper in Cambrdgeshire, UK, 25 minutes before committing the atrocity.

Then who did if it wasn't him?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/17 at 2:33 pm

Then who did if it wasn't him?  ???
It is a mystery and adds to the conspiracy.

Written By: Howard on 11/01/17 at 3:41 pm

It is a mystery and adds to the conspiracy.

So why did they shoot him?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/17 at 5:28 am

So why did they shoot him?
That is the key question.

I will get back to this when I found and read the right book in my libraries.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/17 at 7:00 am

That is the key question.

I will get back to this when I found and read the right book in my libraries.

I think they should of just sent him to jail instead of just shooting him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/17 at 7:07 am

I think they should of just sent him to jail instead of just shooting him.
...who was they?

Written By: Howard on 11/03/17 at 8:02 am

...who was they?

the guys who took him away, Was it Jack Ruby? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/17 at 8:03 am

the guys who took him away, Was it Jack Ruby? ???
I have still yet to read up on this, properly.

Written By: Howard on 11/03/17 at 2:11 pm

I have still yet to read up on this, properly.

I would've made Lee do community service, would that be too easy on him? ???

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/20/17 at 10:06 pm

I remember it, I also remember World War I, the coming Jesus Christ, the Ice Age, and the Big Bang.

So the "02" in your username isn't an abbreviation for 2002, lol. Of course, how could anyone think otherwise! :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/20/17 at 10:52 pm

I married my wife in 2002, just to let you know.

So you waited thousands of years to get married?  ;D :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/20/17 at 11:14 pm

I stayed at my parents' house just a bit too long LMAO.

Well if you can remember the Big Bang, I couldn't even imagine how old your parents would be then, lol. :P

Written By: Howard on 11/21/17 at 3:25 pm

I married my wife in 2002, just to let you know.

So you've been married for 15 years? ???

Written By: Contigo on 11/10/21 at 8:13 am

Yes, I do remember it, I was in elementary school. Obviously I was too young to understand all of it. It was shocking though.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/02/22 at 9:46 am

If President and Mrs Kennedy had had no son just daughters, would there have been any iconic moment with "Joanne" Kennedy at JFK's funeral?

a little Joanne wouldn't have given a military salute to the coffin like John-John - as a young daughter she would be raised differently, and a little young lady giving a soldier style salute would not have been taken the same way by either the American media or the U.S. public.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/02/22 at 8:34 pm

In my off-line identity, I write counterfactual history scenarios for a niche magazine in real life. Any more questions, Mister Judgemental?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/02/22 at 10:54 pm

John F. Kennedy was killed 7 years before I was born, but I had an interesting conversation about the JFK assassination with my uncle about it a few weeks ago.

We were talking about how divided the United States is today, and he told me that this divisiveness was nothing new. He said he was in high school when he heard the news Kennedy was shot and when he told one of his classmates about it his classmate replied, "I hope they shot him with both barrels."  :o :o :o

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/03/22 at 12:13 am

A lot of people were probably happy to see the end of the Kennedy administration. In today’s world, they would be more open about it.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/03/22 at 8:25 am

Kennedy gets a free pass over Vietnam he shouldn't get. He IS going to send more men and equipment and after spending A LOT of political capital to stop the generals during the Cuban missile crisis from launching, he doesn't have much left to stop them a second time.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/03/22 at 12:20 pm

TjCuXlNuW4c

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/05/22 at 2:11 pm

I remember.  I was a senior in high school, in senior civics when the vice principle knocked on the window of the door.  Mr Becker went out and closed the door.  I few minutes later he came in and said "I have terrible news.  President Kennedy  and Governor Connelly have been shot.  I have no details".  I piped up "I hope the governor pulls through".  Of course everyone was shocked.  Then I said "It's THE BIG LIE that he told us about yesterday,  looking at Mr B. he set this up with Mr Middilton to prove his point, didn't you?"  He just said no.  One of my most embarrassing moments

Check for new replies or respond here...