inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much pre-1970s material do you come across daily?

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/21/16 at 1:04 pm

Now that this section of the board has devolved into mostly "# years ago today before the 1970s", I would like for you to change this into actually the amount of pre-1970s content you actually come into contact in everyday life. For example, if you live/work in a home built before the 1970s, drive a pre-1970s car, watch a movie/TV show/listen to music before 1970, encounter pre-70s fashion, read a book made before 1970, sit on a piece of furniture made before then, and so on. I know some of us are historical geeks, but I'll start and say that the only real pre-1970s content I might find is driving across a few neighborhoods with homes built in the 1950s/60s on the way home from work, refresh knowledge from trivia on Jeopardy! that usually features clues involving pre-1970s stuff (if that counts), look at a wallbox in my room that was built in the late 1950s/early 1960s, see some old magazine issues on the shelf from around then. But otherwise, I would only occasionally come across stuff for entertainment and "time traveling" purposes. 

Subject: Re: How much pre-1970s material do you come across daily?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/21/16 at 7:44 pm

I may be in the minority, but I enjoy pre-1970 pop culture on a regular basis.  For me that means mostly TV and music.  For instance, on TV I was just watching reruns of Andy Griffith - I find it hilarious.  There are others.  Music-wise, lately I've been on a kick listening to a specific lesser-known '60s British Invasion band and enjoying them thoroughly (prior to that I was on a '60s Motown kick).

All this to say, I find myself immersed in 60's pop culture plenty  :)

Subject: Re: How much pre-1970s material do you come across daily?

Written By: Howard on 04/22/16 at 7:54 am

I come across it once in a while and I enjoy the nostalgia of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...