inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lesley Gore Song Poll

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/07/16 at 11:12 pm

Back when Rock and Roll was fun and not commercialized like it has been for the last few decades, Lesley Gore was one of first great white pop singers to provide a somewhat soulful sound to the charts. However, after her hits dried up, she faded into near-obscurity much like a Debbie Gibson would be today, being basically a nostalgia act that won't generate much of the "new" crowd, but still leave the original fans what they want, and it really showed as Lesley had an active fan club for 50 years up until her death last year, and was still making appearances on radio, TV, and on stage. Its just a reminder that while the flesh may pass on, the soul of music and the life will live forever, a message that fans of current stars like Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry will eventually have to take their hearts to as they mature.

Lesley was mostly a singles artists like most pop female singers were, but did have a good number of albums, her last being Ever Since in 2005. She also really gave Quincy Jones a big boost in the development of pop music, including the underrated Love Me By Name album in 1976 featuring some funky tunes, as her voice evolved into a softer, Dionne Warwick-like tone. Among the "other" choices are Wonder Boy, which even featured a color video at a time well before music videos were a standard, set to a catchy tune by a high school, and "Immortality", a neat early disco-era tune.

Subject: Re: Lesley Gore Song Poll

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/16 at 12:13 am

Of all her hits, "It's My Party" is probably her most famous hit, but "Maybe I Know" is my favourite.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/16 at 7:13 am

Of all her hits, "It's My Party" is probably her most famous hit, but "Maybe I Know" is my favourite.

This is the only I recognize from her.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/16 at 1:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QEqLTbEXy0

Followed by It's My Party & It's Judy's Turn To Cry.

Cat

Subject: Lesley Gore Song Poll

Written By: Dude111 on 12/27/17 at 2:06 am

"It's My Party" is probably my favourite!!

Its my party and ill cry if I want to,cry if I want to cry if I want to....

Written By: nally on 01/18/18 at 5:41 pm

^ That's the one song of hers I know the best. Also I've heard "You Don't Own Me" and "Judy's Turn to Cry". Still, "It's My Party" gets my vote.

Check for new replies or respond here...