inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1920s songs

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 2:55 am

"Sonny Boy" is a song written by Ray Henderson, Bud De Sylva, and Lew Brown. The hyper-sentimental tearjerker was featured in the 1928 talkie The Singing Fool. Sung by Al Jolson, the 1928 recording was a hit and stayed at #1 for 12 weeks in the charts and was a million seller.

fy1iOmqH27Y

Subject: Re: 1920s songs

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 2:56 am

"I Wanna Be Loved by You"  is a song written by Herbert Stothart and Harry Ruby, with lyrics by Bert Kalmar, for the 1928 musical "Good Boy". It was chosen as one of the Songs of the Century in a survey made by the RIAA in which 200 people responded (out of 1300 asked). One of Marilyn Monroe's most famous musical performances is her singing it in Billy Wilder's classic farce Some Like It Hot.

hclK-UKJNgk

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 2:56 am

"Together" is a 1928 popular song with music by Ray Henderson and lyrics by Buddy G. DeSylva and Lew Brown. The most popular 1928 recording of the song, by Paul Whiteman, with Bix Beiderbecke on cornet.

t1crbPWhHB4

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 3:08 am

"Are You Lonesome Tonight?" is a song which was written by Roy Turk and Lou Handman in 1926. It was recorded several times in 1927—first by Charles Hart, with successful versions by Vaughn De Leath and the duet of Jerry Macy and John Ryan. In 1950 the Blue Barron Orchestra version reached the top twenty on the Billboard's Pop Singles chart.

wo-CcjPpE4Y

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 3:18 am

"Baby Face" is a popular song. The music was written by Harry Akst, the lyrics by Benny Davis. The song was published in 1926. That same year, Jan Garber had a number one hit with the song. "Baby Face" was covered by many recording artists of the time (and since then), including Al Jolson and The Revelers. Swan Districts, an Australian Rules club in the WAFL since 1934, bases its club song on this tune.

WAcLF2-rBIc

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 3:57 am

"Bye, Bye, Blackbird" is a song published in 1926 by the American composer Ray Henderson and lyricist Mort Dixon. It is considered a popular standard and was first recorded by Gene Austin in 1926.

eO6PpD-tRLU

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 4:09 am

"When the Red, Red Robin (Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along)" was a 1926 popular song written by songwriter Harry M. Woods. The song was an instant hit for singers like "Whispering" Jack Smith, Cliff Edwards and the Ipana Troubadors. Al Jolson, however, had the most success with his recording, which reached #1 on the Billboard charts. Jolson also performed the song on the 1926 sound-on-disc short film A Plantation Act. The song became the signature song for singer and actress Lillian Roth, who performed it often during the height of her musical career from the late 1920s to the late 1930s.

vtkhJ1xqw2o

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 4:15 am

"Someone to Watch Over Me" is a song composed by George Gershwin with lyrics by Ira Gershwin from the musical Oh, Kay! (1926), where it was introduced by Gertrude Lawrence. Gershwin originally approached the song as an uptempo jazz tune, but his brother Ira suggested that it might work much better as a ballad, and George ultimately agreed. It has been performed by many artists since its debut and is a jazz standard as well as a key work in the Great American Songbook.

bB7YlkhD70Y

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 4:33 am

"Some of These Days" is a popular song, written and composed by Shelton Brooks, and became a signature song for Sophie Tucker, who made the first of her several recordings of it in 1911. Ted Lewis and his band backed Tucker on her classic, million-selling 1926 recording, which stayed in the #1 position on the charts for five weeks beginning November 23, 1926, and re-affirmed her lasting association with the song.

3heCSPJrO70

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 4:41 am

The "Alabama Song" (also known as "Whisky Bar," "Moon over Alabama," or "Moon of Alabama") was originally published as a poem in Bertolt Brecht's Hauspostille (1927). It was set to music by Kurt Weill for the 1927 "Songspiel" Mahagonny and used again in Weill's and Brecht's 1930 opera Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny (Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny.) In the latter, it is performed by the character Jenny and her fellow prostitutes in the first act. The song was first performed and recorded by the Viennese actress and dancer Lotte Lenya (Weill's wife). She first publicly sang the song as the character Jessie in the 1927 Baden-Baden Festival performance of Mahagonny Songspiel. Lenya first recorded the song in 1930 for the Ultraphon record label.

EGUjGPrfA6U

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 5:39 am

Rhapsody in Blue is a 1924 musical composition by American composer George Gershwin for solo piano and jazz band, which combines elements of classical music with jazz-influenced effects. Commissioned by bandleader Paul Whiteman, the composition was orchestrated by Ferde Grofé several times, including the original 1924 scoring, "theater orchestra" setting published in 1926, and the symphony orchestra scoring published in 1942, though completed earlier. The piece received its premiere in the concert, An Experiment in Modern Music, which was held on February 12, 1924, in Aeolian Hall, New York, by Whiteman and his band with Gershwin playing the piano. The editors of the Cambridge Music Handbooks opined that "The Rhapsody in Blue (1924) established Gershwin's reputation as a serious composer and has since become one of the most popular of all American concert works."

eFHdRkeEnpM

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 6:40 am

Boléro is a one-movement orchestral piece by the French composer Maurice Ravel (1875–1937). Originally composed as a ballet commissioned by Russian actress and dancer Ida Rubinstein, the piece, which premiered in 1928, is Ravel's most famous musical composition. Boléro was notably used as the accompanying music to the gold-medal-winning performance at the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo by British ice dancers Torvill and Dean. The pair commissioned a specially-adapted version of the work to comply with Olympic time restrictions to accompany their dance, which gained them not only the gold medal, but the highest score ever under the old 6.0 system.

KK23BhEQVyU

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 7:43 am

"April Showers" is a popular song with music written by Louis Silvers and lyrics by B. G. De Sylva. First published in 1921, it is one of many popular songs whose lyrics use a "Bluebird of happiness" as a symbol of cheer. ("So keep on looking for a bluebird, and waiting for his song.") The song was introduced in the 1921 Broadway musical Bombo, where it was performed by Al Jolson. It became a well-known Jolson trademark: the first of his several recordings of the song was on Columbia Records in October 1921. It has also been recorded by many other artists.

7kALs0ryZGc

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 8:37 pm

"California, Here I Come" is a song written for the 1921 Broadway musical Bombo, starring Al Jolson. The song was written by Buddy DeSylva and Joseph Meyer, with Jolson often listed as a co-author. Jolson recorded the song in 1924. It is often called the unofficial state song of California.

3uTWABRKRFM

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 9:16 pm

"I'm Sitting on Top of the World" is a popular song with music written by Ray Henderson and lyrics by Sam M. Lewis and Joe Young. It was published in 1925. The song was most likely first recorded by Art Gillham (‘the Whispering Pianist’), who recorded ‘I'm Sitting on Top of the World’ on 24 October 1925. Al Jolson's recording is generally attributed to 1926. It was used in the 1928 part-talkie film "The Singing Fool" starring Al Jolson. In February 1926, Roger Wolfe Kahn and His Hotel Biltmore Orchestra's 1925 recording of I'm Sitting On Top Of The World charted at #9.

AFTv7DTnWVk

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/17 at 9:19 am

"Bayan Ko" was composed in 1928 when Filipinos were campaigning for independence from America under the ... song are the yearnings of a people colonized for over 400 years. It was originally penned in Spanish by the Revolutionary general José Alejandrino, and translated into Tagalog some three decades later by the poet José Corazón de Jesús. After President Marcos imposed Martial Law in 1972, the song was deemed seditious. Public performances of the song were banned, with violators facing potential arrest and detention. People were emboldened to sing it at the 1983 funeral of Senator Benigno Aquino Jr. and the ensuing 1986 People Power Revolution, where Freddie Aguilar led crowds in singing.

fRkrOthwcpE

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/17 at 5:07 am

"Has Anybody Seen My Girl? (Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue)" is an American popular song that achieved its greatest popularity in the 1920s. It is sometimes known simply as "Has Anybody Seen My Girl?" and sometimes simply as "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue"; the 1925 Leo Feist, Inc. sheet music gives both of these. The song was first recorded by The California Ramblers in 1925.

PbE9ZAfAvH8

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/18 at 2:38 pm

"Always" is a popular song written by Irving Berlin in 1925, as a wedding gift for his wife Ellin McKay, whom he married in 1926, and to whom he presented the substantial royalties. Although legend (and Groucho Marx) claims Berlin wrote the song "Always" for The Cocoanuts, he never meant for the song to be included in the play.

Here sung by Frank Sinatra, recorded in many years after 1925.
eLh-m1Z_feY

Written By: Dundee on 04/19/18 at 7:53 am

They played that Charleston song in a mall today, crazy how still relevant 20s music is :)

Written By: Howard on 04/19/18 at 2:31 pm

They played that Charleston song in a mall today, crazy how still relevant 20s music is :)

Were they doing The Charleston?

Written By: GH1996 on 04/24/18 at 10:08 pm

Some of my grandparents favourite songs, they both grew up in the 20's

Hot Lips - Marion Harris
My Blue Heaven - Gene Austin
I'd Rather Be Blue Over You - Fanny Brice
You're the Cream in My Coffee - Annette Hanshaw
How About it - Henry Busse
Japanese Sandman - Paul Whiteman
Whispering - Paul Whiteman
I'll See You in my Dreams - Isham Jones
St. Louis Blues - Bessie Smith

Written By: Dude111 on 04/25/18 at 10:34 am

1920s songs

I love 1920s songs buddy!

I have a couple records -- THE ROARING 20s :) (Both in MONO thankfully)

Written By: fusefan on 09/28/18 at 8:02 pm

Blue Ribbon Syncopators - Scratch

http://youtube.com/watch?v=04x266XyUeU

Slim Lamar’s Southerners - Goofus

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NsWhS7KM90A

Geeshie Wiley - Last Kind Words Blues

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qIsbDzMRTf0

Written By: fusefan on 10/20/18 at 11:07 pm

"Has Anybody Seen My Girl? (Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue)" is an American popular song that achieved its greatest popularity in the 1920s. It is sometimes known simply as "Has Anybody Seen My Girl?" and sometimes simply as "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue"; the 1925 Leo Feist, Inc. sheet music gives both of these. The song was first recorded by The California Ramblers in 1925.

PbE9ZAfAvH8

Nice. I have the original 78rpm release of the Art Landry version. 😎

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xqYJjA4aYXM

Written By: Dude111 on 10/21/18 at 2:38 am

Heres a nice station that plays 20s,30s and 40s music :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20170325010426/http://jscotts.fastmail.co.uk/1920s

Written By: fusefan on 09/23/19 at 10:49 am

Paul Whiteman - Dancing Tambourine

http://youtube.com/watch?v=toReoLaEPGw

Memphis Jug Band - Stealin’ Stealin’

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MgENwPdBBK8

Lloyd Scott’s Orchestra - Symphonic Scronch

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xrl7La5CyII

Fess Williams - Alligator Crawl

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OewUCk8usEw

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/19 at 11:52 am

The "Alabama Song" (also known as "Whisky Bar," "Moon over Alabama," or "Moon of Alabama") was originally published as a poem in Bertolt Brecht's Hauspostille (1927). It was set to music by Kurt Weill for the 1927 "Songspiel" Mahagonny and used again in Weill's and Brecht's 1930 opera Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny (Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny.) In the latter, it is performed by the character Jenny and her fellow prostitutes in the first act. The song was first performed and recorded by the Viennese actress and dancer Lotte Lenya (Weill's wife). She first publicly sang the song as the character Jessie in the 1927 Baden-Baden Festival performance of Mahagonny Songspiel. Lenya first recorded the song in 1930 for the Ultraphon record label.

EGUjGPrfA6U

I did not know this song is THAT old. The Doors did this one.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/20 at 11:19 am

"Lover, Come Back to Me" is a popular song composed by Sigmund Romberg with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II for the Broadway show The New Moon, where the song was introduced by Evelyn Herbert and Robert Halliday (as Robert Misson). The song was published in 1928.

EOBMvJXHLeU

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/21 at 3:49 pm

"Jelly Bean Blues" recorded by Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, released in 1926.

BLsaaaDg2Ns

Written By: Dude111 on 04/06/21 at 4:08 pm

If you like 1920s,you can listen to this stream here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20170325010426/http://jscotts.fastmail.co.uk/1920s

Check for new replies or respond here...