inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early 20th century culture

Written By: d90 on 12/13/16 at 1:14 am

What are your favorite silent films, songs, artists and other famous people from the early 1900s(1900-1929).

Subject: Re: Early 20th century culture

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/16 at 1:51 am

If we were to be really precise, we could move it up until the first 1/3 of 1933!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/16 at 2:03 am

I really liked the cartoons of the 1920's to 1940's. So to answer your question, the cartoons in the 1920's, Disney and non-Disney ones.

Written By: 2001 on 12/13/16 at 5:20 pm

I'm a huge fan of the philosophical and revolutionary movements of the time. I don't necessarily support all of them, but modernism, Bolshevism, progressivism, relativity, tempérance etc. are all fascinating to me.

When I was reading Albert Einstein's biography (by Walter Isaacson) one passage really stuck with me. It characterized the early 20th century as a time of when people broke away from the conservative Victorian 19th Century and dismantle a lot of preconceived notions people held, and to find a new Truth. This can be seen in Albert Einstein's theory of relativity which questioned the absoluteness of space and time. It can be seen in Picasso's paintings (cubism) which challenged people's preconceptions of what is good art. It can be seen even in Bolshevism/Communism which took the idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need" and took it to its extreme.

Favourite famous person? Easy! Albert Einstein.  :D Max Planck in a close second.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/15/16 at 12:14 am

I'm not really a fan of Early 20th Century culture now, but when I was a kid, I had a fascination with Disney shorts from the Late 1920s-40s. When I was 8 years old, I received two Walt Disney Treasures DVDs, which had all of the Mickey Mouse shorts from 1935-1938 and 1939-1953. Donald Duck was my favourite character out of the Disney shorts. Even though I liked the cartoon shorts at the time, I always preferred (and still do prefer) the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts.

Generally speaking, I have always had a greater appreciation of cartoons from several decades ago, rather than most cartoons produced in the 2000s. As a 10 year old, I really had an interest in the Disney series of cartoon shorts, Oswald The Lucky Rabbit. I own all of the shorts produced in 1927-1928 on disc, as well as some of the Universal-produced shorts from 1929. The history revolving around Oswald The Lucky Rabbit is quite interesting and it's something which I would encourage people to look up.

For a short time when I was 7/8 years old, I also liked a 1940s cartoon series called Mighty Mouse. Mighty Mouse is very representative of it's time; most of the storylines revolve around war. To be honest, I don't know how I became interested in Mighty Mouse. It has never aired on any of the TV stations over here.  I used to watch episodes of Mighty Mouse on VCR tapes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/16 at 2:09 am

It was watching silent films regularly on television when I was young that would capture my deep interest in the movie industry when turning older. It was the comedy films I remember the most Harold Lloyd, Keystone Kops, etc.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/15/16 at 6:56 am

When I think of "early 20th century culture", I think of the following:

-Silent movies
-Charlie Chaplin
-Mary Pickford
-Ragtime (pre-WWI)
-Dixieland jazz (post-WWI)
-The birth of radio
-Expressionism
-Early automobiles with wheels that look like wagons and carriage-style bodies and roads with fewer regulations/rules, with railroad travel at its peak
-Flappers/speakeasies (1920s)
-The Golden Age of Major League Baseball, encompassing the Dead Ball and original Yankees Dynasty eras
-Dime novels early on, then pulp magazines

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/15/16 at 6:59 am

When I think of "early 20th century culture", I think of the following:

-Silent movies
-Charlie Chaplin
-Mary Pickford
-Ragtime (pre-WWI)
-Dixieland jazz (post-WWI)
-The birth of radio
-Expressionism
-Early automobiles with wheels that look like wagons and carriage-style bodies and roads with fewer regulations/rules, with railroad travel at its peak
-Flappers/speakeasies (1920s)
-The Golden Age of Major League Baseball, encompassing the Dead Ball and original Yankees Dynasty eras
-Dime novels early on, then pulp magazines

Along with the Red Sox dynasty, which got the team four WS titles before they got rid of Babe Ruth in late 1919.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/16 at 7:12 am

It was watching silent films regularly on television when I was young that would capture my deep interest in the movie industry when turning older. It was the comedy films I remember the most Harold Lloyd, Keystone Kops, etc.

Laurel And Hardy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/16 at 7:13 am

Laurel And Hardy?
Yes, amongst others.

Written By: karen on 12/15/16 at 11:47 am

Seeing things like Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton etc takes my back to my childhood

These shows would be Friday early evening fillers or summer holiday daytime tv in the UK in the 70s.  I could probably still sing the Harold Lloyd theme tune if I had the inclination!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/16 at 3:51 am

Seeing things like Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton etc takes my back to my childhood

These shows would be Friday early evening fillers or summer holiday daytime tv in the UK in the 70s.  I could probably still sing the Harold Lloyd theme tune if I had the inclination!
Also, Bob Monkhouse's "Mad Movies" introduced many a film to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...