inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1966 Political Parody Jingle on Radio

Written By: ClassicMovieFan on 12/19/16 at 10:34 pm

Hi.  In 1966 when Ronald Reagan was running for Governor of California (against incumbent Pat Brown) there was a song parody that ran on radio stations.  It even came out as a single 45 rpm record -- which I no longer have.

I don't know who wrote it, but I remember the first stanza. 

It is to the tune "Give My Regards to Broadway" by George M. Cohan.

It is supposed to be Ronald Reagan speaking:

(With apologies to the author, this is the best I can remember it:)

Give my regards to Murphy and members of the G O P
Tell all the boys in Sacramento that I've found the rest of me
Tell them of how I'm yearning to mingle with that smoke-filled throng
Give my regards to Lyndon, too, and tell him I'll be there ere long

Murphy was George Murphy Senior Senator for California -- former actor, singer, dancer
  Was in Shirley Temple movie

I've found the rest of me refers to the movie Kings Row where Ronald Reagan is a coal miner who gets injured and has the hots for the doctor's daughter.  The doctor doesn't think he is good enough for his daughter so instead of repairing his damaged legs -- which he should have done -- he amputates both legs so his daughter won't want him.  One of Ronald Reagan's actual decent performances, decent script -- unlike the Bonzo movies.

Smoke filled throng  (I have the lyrics a little wrong here I think)  Refers to the back room politics where they all smoked cigars and cut deals in Sacramento -- true, by the way

Lyndon, of course, is Lyndon Johnson, when he was President

Thanks for the help if anyone remembers this or has heard their older relatives who might remember who wrote it or the accurate lyrics,  maybe the author has a recording?  Anyway, all help gratefully acknowledged.

Jeanne

Check for new replies or respond here...