inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis...made R n' R famous...Yes?

Written By: hot_wax on 01/01/17 at 2:44 am

These four icons are the pioneers and the cornerstones of Rock n' Roll's. Who else would you add to the foundation that Rock n' Roll was  built on ? 

Subject: Re: Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis...made R n' R famous...Yes?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/17 at 4:55 am

These four icons are the pioneers and the cornerstones of Rock n' Roll's. Who else would you add to the foundation that Rock n' Roll was  built on ? 
Bill Haley and Buddy Holly!

Subject: Re: Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis...made R n' R famous...Yes?

Written By: Howard on 01/14/17 at 7:03 am

Ritchie Valens.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/17 at 7:24 am

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller!

Written By: Howard on 01/14/17 at 4:37 pm

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller!

Big Bopper.

Written By: annimal on 01/14/17 at 5:54 pm

^ Chantilly Lace                    is the rest of the title             

Written By: hot_wax on 03/08/17 at 11:43 pm

Yes, I think Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock " is the first real rock n' roll sound in music.

All the artists that everyone mentioned, even the artists I mentioned, followed in the wake of Haley's 1954 " Rock Around the Clock ".

Written By: 80sfan on 03/09/17 at 9:19 am

Usually people place Rock N' Roll going mainstream starting in either 1954, or 1955.
My guess is that it was Rock Around The Clock that started the mainstream explosion in 1955. Anyone with more facts, and precise information, can correct me.
And it it all just went up, up, up, for Rock from there!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/10/17 at 12:59 am

Sam Phillips and Sun Records.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/17 at 5:24 am

From wiki:

"In 1934, the song "Rock and Roll" by the Boswell Sisters appeared in the film Transatlantic Merry-Go-Round. In 1942, Billboard magazine columnist Maurie Orodenker started to use the term "rock-and-roll" to describe upbeat recordings such as "Rock Me" by Sister Rosetta Tharpe. By 1943, the "Rock and Roll Inn" in South Merchantville, New Jersey, was established as a music venue. In 1951, Cleveland, Ohio disc jockey Alan Freed began playing this music style while popularizing the phrase to describe it."

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/17 at 5:16 am

Yes, I think Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock " is the first real rock n' roll sound in music.

All the artists that everyone mentioned, even the artists I mentioned, followed in the wake of Haley's 1954 " Rock Around the Clock ".
It was on this day March 14th in 1956, that the movie "Rock Around the Clock" (with Bill Haley) made its premiere in Washington, DC. Released to the general public on March 21st.

Written By: hot_wax on 03/19/17 at 1:02 am

I just found out that Chuck Berry has died today March 18, 2017 at the age of 90. " Rest In Peace" Chuck, you are one of the first driving forces that brought Rock n' Roll music into mainstream America... Thank you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/17 at 1:34 am

I just found out that Chuck Berry has died today March 18, 2017 at the age of 90. " Rest In Peace" Chuck, you are one of the first driving forces that brought Rock n' Roll music into mainstream America... Thank you.
Another sad day for the pop music industry.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Howard on 03/19/17 at 4:04 pm

R.I.P Chuck Berry, he will be missed.  :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 4:57 pm

Now only Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis are alive. May Chuck Berry rest in peace.

Written By: nally on 04/15/17 at 2:20 pm

Good choices with all of these artists.

Check for new replies or respond here...