inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Misconceptions of the 1950s

Written By: d90 on 02/01/17 at 12:28 am

I believe a misconception alot of people believe about the 1950s was that all teemagers hung out in malt shops. What are other misconceptions you have heard about the 50s

Subject: Re: Misconceptions of the 1950s

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/01/17 at 12:48 am

That Rock n' Roll was popular all throughout the 50s. Rock n' Roll only entered the mainstream around 1954 and it wasn't until 1956 that the genre had really achieved widespread success and popularity.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/01/17 at 10:17 am

That Rock n' Roll was popular all throughout the 50s. Rock n' Roll only entered the mainstream around 1954 and it wasn't until 1956 that the genre had really achieved widespread success and popularity.

And just like grunge/alternative music in the '90s, was only popular among the under-21 crowd (keep in mind that people got married on average around 21, and once they pop the question just like many still do today, they tend fall out of the "loop" in terms of current trends). Even after Elvis broke (a few adults did like some of his hits like Love Me Tender), there was still a fair amount of easy listening crooners, aging swing bands, modern jazz, musical and theatrical, and classical music that was out there as well, and it really wasn't until the end of the '60s that rock had truly dominated society, including adults.

Another one is that once I Love Lucy hit the airwaves 1951, everybody scrambled to buy a TV. Once again, it wasn't uncommon for a household to not have a TV until well into the 1960s, and many people would get their fix by watching it in neighbor's houses, on the street were numerous TVs would be displayed in windows, or in some public places that had one. This was because a TV would cost the equivalent of around $5,000 in today's money.

Another is that women chose to be housewives to have an easy, less stressful life by simply performing household chores, going grocery shopping, raising kids, and playing bingo and bridge (if she doesn't have a television). A common phrase of this era was "a housewife's work is never done", and it reflects upon the numerous tasks that get performed, along with the fact that families were larger back then (hence the baby boom), though many women would still attend various clubs when they're not busy, especially in religious organizations, especially once they past their peak childbearing and raising years.

I also find that people increasingly underestimate how regressed women's rights were in the 1950s unlike blacks and other minorities. For example, many newspapers back then divided their "Help Wanted" sections by gender and there were many more "women only" or "men only" social groups and clubs.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/17 at 4:05 pm

That everyone was happy.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/01/17 at 7:02 pm

That every white person was a racist.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/17 at 7:05 pm

That everyone liked Elvis's music, and him.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/17 at 7:08 pm

And just like grunge/alternative music in the '90s, was only popular among the under-21 crowd (keep in mind that people got married on average around 21, and once they pop the question just like many still do today, they tend fall out of the "loop" in terms of current trends). Even after Elvis broke (a few adults did like some of his hits like Love Me Tender), there was still a fair amount of easy listening crooners, aging swing bands, modern jazz, musical and theatrical, and classical music that was out there as well, and it really wasn't until the end of the '60s that rock had truly dominated society, including adults.

Another one is that once I Love Lucy hit the airwaves 1951, everybody scrambled to buy a TV. Once again, it wasn't uncommon for a household to not have a TV until well into the 1960s, and many people would get their fix by watching it in neighbor's houses, on the street were numerous TVs would be displayed in windows, or in some public places that had one. This was because a TV would cost the equivalent of around $5,000 in today's money.

Another is that women chose to be housewives to have an easy, less stressful life by simply performing household chores, going grocery shopping, raising kids, and playing bingo and bridge (if she doesn't have a television). A common phrase of this era was "a housewife's work is never done", and it reflects upon the numerous tasks that get performed, along with the fact that families were larger back then (hence the baby boom), though many women would still attend various clubs when they're not busy, especially in religious organizations, especially once they past their peak childbearing and raising years.

I also find that people increasingly underestimate how regressed women's rights were in the 1950s unlike blacks and other minorities. For example, many newspapers back then divided their "Help Wanted" sections by gender and there were many more "women only" or "men only" social groups and clubs.

My gut is that TV exploded in sales, in the early 60's. Kind of like the internet in 1996+.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/01/17 at 8:13 pm

And just like grunge/alternative music in the '90s, was only popular among the under-21 crowd.

To be honest, I think that's a bit of a misconception as well. There's no doubting that rock n' roll was aimed at those under the age of 21 and people who were adolescents/young adults at the time were the primary audience for the music. However, i'm sure there was also a fair proportion of people over the age of 21 who liked, or at least didn't mind, rock n' roll as well. I understand that a lot of older Americans at the time viewed rock n' roll as being some sort of communist scheme, but you can't say that every American over the age of 21 viewed it the same way.

I know it's off-topic, but you could say the same for grunge/90s alternative as well. My parents, who were born in 1964 and 1967, both really like grunge/90s alternative. They were already in their Early/Mid 30s by the time the decade ended, but they still really like it. In fact, Collective Soul is one of my Mum's favourite bands.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/17 at 2:46 pm

That every white person was a racist.

That sparked outrage.

Written By: d90 on 03/26/18 at 3:19 pm

To be honest, I think that's a bit of a misconception as well. There's no doubting that rock n' roll was aimed at those under the age of 21 and people who were adolescents/young adults at the time were the primary audience for the music. However, i'm sure there was also a fair proportion of people over the age of 21 who liked, or at least didn't mind, rock n' roll as well. I understand that a lot of older Americans at the time viewed rock n' roll as being some sort of communist scheme, but you can't say that every American over the age of 21 viewed it the same way.

I know it's off-topic, but you could say the same for grunge/90s alternative as well. My parents, who were born in 1964 and 1967, both really like grunge/90s alternative. They were already in their Early/Mid 30s by the time the decade ended, but they still really like it. In fact, Collective Soul is one of my Mum's favourite bands.

Ironically however the Communist authorities in the Soviet Union were against Rock and Roll music.

Check for new replies or respond here...