inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Millennia ago today

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 1:13 pm

This one's a few days late, but 2060 years ago as of March 15, in 44 B.C., Julius Caesar was assassinated by a conspiracy of Senators who disagreed with his lust for power and his populist reforms during the late Republic. It set the stage for the rise of the Second Triumvirate and the Principate (early Empire, which preserved traditional republican forms of government, but with one man really holding all the strings). Within a decade and a half of Caesar's death, Augustus would be master of Rome and the Senate would never be in charge again.

Subject: Re: Millennia ago today

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/17 at 2:34 pm

I'm listening to an audio book about Caesar right now.  :o

I dislike like how Roman society functioned, but it was probably better than everyone else back then.  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 2:51 pm

I dislike like how Roman society functioned, but it was probably better than everyone else back then.  ;D

I was never a big fan of the Romans, but I liked of how they controlled most of Europe for a long time.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 3:19 pm

The book "Caesar" by Theodore Ayrault Dodge is brilliant. Here's the final chapter, wonderfully written, comparing Alexander, Caesar, and Hannibal.

https://books.google.com/books?id=4q5WAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA755&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Check for new replies or respond here...