inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Could we bring back 1890s Nostalgia?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/17 at 3:57 pm

It could start off in a Hipster nostalgic version of the 1890s.

Subject: Re: Could we bring back 1890s Nostalgia?

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 08/04/17 at 4:04 pm

Don't see why we'd need to, as the 1890s don't really have any cultural identity or historical significance.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/17 at 5:15 pm

Don't see why we'd need to, as the 1890s don't really have any cultural identity or historical significance.

Actually there are a lot of references to how the 1890s were like. Many people used to be nostalgic about it. I want to bring it back.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/04/17 at 6:41 pm

Actually there are a lot of references to how the 1890s were like. Many people used to be nostalgic about it. I want to bring it back.

It's not going to happen, especially when you consider the fact that everyone who is alive today wasn't even alive in the 1890s.

Written By: Escondudo on 08/04/17 at 8:01 pm

Sure, let's bring back the "Gay Nineties." There's always room for more racism and imperialism.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/04/17 at 8:08 pm

Technically speaking, one cannot be "nostalgic" for something one did not experience in the first place.

Nostalgia: a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life.
-dictionary.com

In fact, the best definition of a hipster I ever heard is "one who is nostalgic for something one never experienced".

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/17 at 9:29 pm

Sure, let's bring back the "Gay Nineties." There's always room for more racism and imperialism.  ;D

Not bringing that back. More like primitive tech, modernized clothing items, songs things like that.
Like low tech lifestyle to make a statement.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/17 at 12:52 pm

Technically speaking, one cannot be "nostalgic" for something one did not experience in the first place.

Nostalgia: a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life.
-dictionary.com

In fact, the best definition of a hipster I ever heard is "one who is nostalgic for something one never experienced".
Agreed!

Written By: Howard on 08/05/17 at 2:26 pm

Exactly, I don't need to bring back nostalgia from over 100 years ago.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/05/17 at 2:27 pm

Then you bring it back, why do we need to?  ::)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/05/17 at 3:46 pm

Then you bring it back, why do we need to?  ::)

0_HGqPGp9iY

Written By: Emman on 08/05/17 at 8:10 pm

Not true at all, the 1890s was the go to decade for nostalgia from the late 1920s-1940s, it accrued it's nickname "The Gay Nineties" in the late '20s and many movies were set in the 1890s as a period piece. It is also called the mauve decade because purple was the color in a lot of clothes, art, interior design, ect. Art Nouveu(a sort of pre-psychedelic style) is it's defining aesthetic and easily recognizable.

It was a decade of economic depression, labor riots and populist upheaval, there was a major political realignment in the election of 1896, it was a turning point in race relations(Jim Crow).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/06/17 at 3:57 pm

Not true at all, the 1890s was the go to decade for nostalgia from the late 1920s-1940s, it accrued it's nickname "The Gay Nineties" in the late '20s and many movies were set in the 1890s as a period piece. It is also called the mauve decade because purple was the color in a lot of clothes, art, interior design, ect. Art Nouveu(a sort of pre-psychedelic style) is it's defining aesthetic and easily recognizable.

It was a decade of economic depression, labor riots and populist upheaval, there was a major political realignment in the election of 1896, it was a turning point in race relations(Jim Crow).

I wonder why they called it the Gay Nineties then. Is it because the second half of the decade was economically happier?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 08/06/17 at 4:03 pm

1896 picture.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/new-york-1896-alice-austen_ash-cart.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/07/17 at 3:12 pm

1896 picture.

http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/new-york-1896-alice-austen_ash-cart.jpg

They did bring back horse and carriages but I think they want to ban them again.

Check for new replies or respond here...