inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you like to live in the 50s?

Written By: temaichi on 08/20/17 at 9:47 am

Would you guys like to live in the 1950s? How could this effect your everyday life today?
What kind of music would you listen to? Let me know!;)

Subject: Re: Would you like to live in the 50s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/17 at 11:23 am

Would you guys like to live in the 1950s?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! The liberation and ideals of the 60s and 70s finally freed us from all that, and then the 80s came along and brought us right back to the 50s as if the 60s and 70s had never existed.  8-P

Written By: temaichi on 08/20/17 at 11:25 am

ABSOLUTELY NOT! The liberation and ideals of the 60s and 70s finally freed us from all that, and then the 80s came along and brought us right back to the 50s as if the 60s and 70s had never existed.  8-P
I see... :( Must`ve been horrible.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/17 at 11:46 am

I see... :( Must`ve been horrible.

I DO like the idea of going back to a time before cell phones though. When people truly related to each other on a one to one human level. And to a pre-digital age when music sounded so great in analog. What was so great about the pre-internet age was this great air of mystery and discovery that hung over everything. An air of expectancy. Even using a pay phone (those things that used to exist in the street before cell phones) seemed exciting. One was always discovering something, but you had to go out and find it. It didn't just come to you like it does now. One had to go out and make roads where there were none. As the poet wrote "there are no roads, roads are made by walking".

Written By: Howard on 08/20/17 at 12:39 pm

Would you guys like to live in the 1950s? How could this effect your everyday life today?

It would definitely be cool to go back to the 1950's fashion-wise and to see a lot of the people wearing stylish clothes such as what The Fonz wore in Happy Days such as his leather jacket and his combed hair.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/0/0c/Fonz.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070626093547

Written By: temaichi on 08/20/17 at 12:54 pm

I DO like the idea of going back to a time before cell phones though. When people truly related to each other on a one to one human level. And to a pre-digital age when music sounded so great in analog. What was so great about the pre-internet age was this great air of mystery and discovery that hung over everything. An air of expectancy. Even using a pay phone (those things that used to exist in the street before cell phones) seemed exciting. One was always discovering something, but you had to go out and find it. It didn't just come to you like it does now. One had to go out and make roads where there were none. As the poet wrote "there are no roads, roads are made by walking".
That`s true! Still have payphones around the area where i live in England but nobody uses them anymore. :-\\

Written By: temaichi on 08/20/17 at 12:57 pm

It would definitely be cool to go back to the 1950's fashion-wise and to see a lot of the people wearing stylish clothes such as what The Fonz wore in Happy Days such as his leather jacket and his combed hair.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/0/0c/Fonz.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070626093547
That`s what i was thinking!! Love the fashion from the 50s and the music was also good. Back when Elvis used to very active and everybody adored him. He was like the 50s heartrob. Many men would go around wearing leather jackets with combed hair like that. It was kinda like the "bad boy" look back then! :) Hah, interesting...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/17 at 1:06 pm

Is that honestly what you think the 50s were about? A recreation of it in a  1970s TV show?  ???

Written By: #Infinity on 08/20/17 at 1:12 pm

No way would I ever want to live in the 50s. I'd be thrown in jail just because of my physical attraction towards other women.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/17 at 2:10 pm

That`s true! Still have payphones around the area where i live in England but nobody uses them anymore. :-\\

so what are they waiting for?

Written By: Howard on 08/20/17 at 2:12 pm

Is that honestly what you think the 50s were about? A recreation of it in a  1970s TV show?  ???

that's my thoughts about it.

Written By: temaichi on 08/20/17 at 2:27 pm

No way would I ever want to live in the 50s. I'd be thrown in jail just because of my physical attraction towards other women.
OMG...HAHAHAHAHAHA!! ;D ;D

Written By: wixness on 08/20/17 at 2:30 pm

These days, it seems like everyone wants to, what with the hairstyles and the discussions online.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/17 at 2:52 pm

The 50s were not a good time to be gay or black or female or young or a lot of other things. And people here are talking about hairstyles and leather jackets!  And, by the way, people with that kind of hair and that kind of jacket in the 50s were not made to feel welcome. Don't let "Fonzie" fool you. The 50s were no more like that than they were like "Leave It To Beaver". Let's not have a romance for something that never really was.

Written By: wixness on 08/20/17 at 3:15 pm

The 50s were not a good time to be gay or black or female or young or a lot of other things. And people here are talking about hairstyles and leather jackets!  And, by the way, people with that kind of hair and that kind of jacket in the 50s were not made to feel welcome. Don't let "Fonzie" fool you. The 50s were no more like that than they were like "Leave It To Beaver". Let's not have a romance for something that never really was.

If you wear long hair as a man, you're screwed. I heard that during that time, the Native Americans had forced haircuts.

Written By: temaichi on 08/21/17 at 1:37 am

If you wear long hair as a man, you're screwed. I heard that during that time, the Native Americans had forced haircuts.
Wow. That`s soooo stupid. :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/21/17 at 6:10 am

No, I wouldn't want to live in the '50s. They are too conservative for my liking.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/21/17 at 7:13 am

The 1950s were perhaps the most Disneyfied decade in terms of nostalgia (the original Disneyfied decade was the 1920s as you can see in Main Street at the parks, a testimony to Walt's youth). And yes, Walt Disney being alive along with the classic films, TV shows, Mickey Mouse Club, and opening of Disneyland were some of the highlights of that decade and the children of the era loved it, but of course, for grown-ups, it wasn't as tolerant, and what I'm bringing up is that for the late Boomers/early Gen Xers who experienced the rose-tinted version launched by American Graffiti, Grease, and Happy Days, felt like the actual 1950s really was Candy Land compared to the tacky and economically repressive '70s, and later on, much simpler and freer compared to the high-tech for the time '80s. The moral guardaians would ban lots of raucous R&B/rock n' roll, you would not have good etiquette if you called a non-In Law or a guest by their first name as opposed to Mr./Mrs. X, smoking was still high, air pollution was worse thanks to leaded gas and higher manufacturing, polio was still a threat until late in the decade, and even though it never happened (and it still is with us today), and the threat of nuclear war. However, despite these shortcomings, you had brand new suburbs and crime was actually fairly low in that decade before the big riots in the '60s caused a steady rise for the next few decades, most urban cities were quite lively with many more organic, locally-owned businesses, commercial aviation was pretty new and had much higher service, unique television shows of which many were never taped and no longer exist today (even if monochrome), movie stars with a lot more class and still with lots of variety, from drive-ins, intricate single screen theaters, double features with those "lousy" b-movies, and technology that was impressive for its time (stereo sound, widescreen, and even an early form of 3D). You didn't have to worry about your friend unless if you called them, wrote a letter, or more importantly, get together. Just be sure to live in a city/town that could tolerate you, and remember, most women stayed at home by choice, along with the minorities who moved to a city that was much more accepting. And finally, I like the very formal fashions compared to today, and although furs are no longer acceptable if they aren't fake, I would still enjoy them thanks to the black one that my late grandmother had when I was a kid.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/21/17 at 9:24 am

The 1950s were perhaps the most Disneyfied decade in terms of nostalgia (the original Disneyfied decade was the 1920s as you can see in Main Street at the parks, a testimony to Walt's youth). And yes, Walt Disney being alive along with the classic films, TV shows, Mickey Mouse Club, and opening of Disneyland were some of the highlights of that decade and the children of the era loved it, but of course, for grown-ups, it wasn't as tolerant, and what I'm bringing up is that for the late Boomers/early Gen Xers who experienced the rose-tinted version launched by American Graffiti, Grease, and Happy Days, felt like the actual 1950s really was Candy Land compared to the tacky and economically repressive '70s, and later on, much simpler and freer compared to the high-tech for the time '80s. The moral guardaians would ban lots of raucous R&B/rock n' roll, you would not have good etiquette if you called a non-In Law or a guest by their first name as opposed to Mr./Mrs. X, smoking was still high, air pollution was worse thanks to leaded gas and higher manufacturing, polio was still a threat until late in the decade, and even though it never happened (and it still is with us today), and the threat of nuclear war. However, despite these shortcomings, you had brand new suburbs and crime was actually fairly low in that decade before the big riots in the '60s caused a steady rise for the next few decades, most urban cities were quite lively with many more organic, locally-owned businesses, commercial aviation was pretty new and had much higher service, unique television shows of which many were never taped and no longer exist today (even if monochrome), movie stars with a lot more class and still with lots of variety, from drive-ins, intricate single screen theaters, double features with those "lousy" b-movies, and technology that was impressive for its time (stereo sound, widescreen, and even an early form of 3D). You didn't have to worry about your friend unless if you called them, wrote a letter, or more importantly, get together. Just be sure to live in a city/town that could tolerate you, and remember, most women stayed at home by choice, along with the minorities who moved to a city that was much more accepting. And finally, I like the very formal fashions compared to today, and although furs are no longer acceptable if they aren't fake, I would still enjoy them thanks to the black one that my late grandmother had when I was a kid.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 08/21/17 at 1:56 pm

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Chi-McBride-Oh-Hell-No.gif

I literally hate the 50s. Whenever I think of that decade, it reminds me of how conservative everything was. Not to mention that you can't really be free in terms of race, sexual orientation, gender, or even disability in that matter. Plus, as a mixed race person, I would've been totally fudgeed up during that decade.

Written By: annimal on 08/21/17 at 2:03 pm

if I lost my hearing in the 50's there would be no way I can get a hearing aid or implant to help me at all.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/17 at 3:03 pm

OMG...HAHAHAHAHAHA!! ;D ;D

I think more women were attracted to the young jocks at the time.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/21/17 at 3:10 pm

No. Just, no.

Not meaning to sound shallow or anything. I could care less about somebody's physical appearance. Honest. But It seems to me that women had a certain look back then...YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. The tiny waists and frail physique. It is a look that I don't have because I have curves and I am chubby. I mean my waist is kinda small( THAT'S ONE FOR ME!!). Still not like those 50s girls. Also my features are different. I would appear intimidating and out of place in the 50s! Lol. I like that everyone was conservative though....nah! Not really! I love my tube top dresses sometimes!  ;D

I hope I didn't sound shallow or like an idiot, but this is all true!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/21/17 at 7:24 pm

No. Just, no.

Not meaning to sound shallow or anything. I could care less about somebody's physical appearance. Honest. But It seems to me that women had a certain look back then...YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. The tiny waists and frail physique. It is a look that I don't have because I have curves and I am chubby. I mean my waist is kinda small( THAT'S ONE FOR ME!!). Still not like those 50s girls. Also my features are different. I would appear intimidating and out of place in the 50s! Lol. I like that everyone was conservative though....nah! Not really! I love my tube top dresses sometimes!  ;D

I hope I didn't sound shallow or like an idiot, but this is all true!

I know the point you are making, that maybe the popular or prevailing look was what you describe, but that doesn't mean ALL women looked like that. That would be like looking at a photo of Twiggy and saying "women in the 60s were as thin as rails". In the 50s as well as the 60s women (and men) came in all shapes and sizes, just as they do now. In fact, if anything, the emphasis for women in the 50s was to be more zaftig, to have more curves. More natural, actually. Think of Marilyn Monroe. By today's artificial and plastic surgery-enhanced  standards she would be considered large for a female movie star.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 6:55 am

The music was really cool in the 1950's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 11:45 am

With the knowledge and skills I now have, yes I would not mind living in the 1950s.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 12:48 pm

What products did they use in their hair (for the men)?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 12:50 pm

Brylcream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brylcreem

Written By: Howard on 08/22/17 at 1:11 pm

Brylcream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brylcreem

You can still buy Brylcreem.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 1:15 pm

Definitely in the UK.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/22/17 at 1:43 pm

Definitely in the UK.

...and the U.S.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 1:59 pm

o6F4GtyRfto

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/17 at 3:21 pm

They used Brylcreem, they used Vitalis, they often used plain old Vaseline. It was not glamorous.

I guarantee you that whatever they used, they didn't use the word "product" to describe it back then, as is done now. Just using that word for it would have gotten you looked at askance. I'm serious.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/17 at 3:26 pm

They used Brylcreem, they used Vitalis, they often used plain old Vaseline. It was not glamorous.

I guarantee you that whatever they used, they didn't use the word "product" to describe it back then, as is done now. Just using that word for it would have gotten you looked at askance. I'm serious.
A little dab'll do ya.

http://www.adslogans.co.uk/site/media/.gallery/main8367.jpg

I would think Vasoline got a bit sticky?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/22/17 at 3:30 pm

A little dab'll do ya.

http://www.adslogans.co.uk/site/media/.gallery/main8367.jpg

I would think Vasoline got a bit sticky?

They were all sticky. Or oily. They called it "greasy kid's stuff" for a reason. Is it any wonder the 60s mentality ran away from that nonsense like a bat out of hell? You think a lover wants to run their hand through that?  8-P

Written By: Lizardmatum on 08/22/17 at 4:37 pm

I prefer the 60's but my dad loved the 50's (born in '52) it was the happier peaceful years before the chaotic 60's, to him

Written By: temaichi on 08/22/17 at 7:21 pm

o6F4GtyRfto
That commercial was funny! Love it! ;D

Written By: annimal on 08/22/17 at 10:11 pm

hey! I've seen that one before

Written By: Howard on 08/23/17 at 3:30 pm

...and the U.S.

It may be expensive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 3:31 pm

It may be expensive.
In the 1950s or nowadays?

Written By: Howard on 08/23/17 at 3:33 pm

I haven't used that in quite a long time.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/17 at 3:34 pm

They were all sticky. Or oily. They called it "greasy kid's stuff" for a reason. Is it any wonder the 60s mentality ran away from that nonsense like a bat out of hell? You think a lover wants to run their hand through that?  8-P

and who wants to make out when you have a hair full of grease? :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 3:34 pm

I haven't used that in quite a long time.
I have never used it, but my father did.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/17 at 4:47 pm

I have never used it, but my father did.

My Father did too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/23/17 at 9:27 pm

I think I would have liked it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 4:33 am

I think I would have liked it.

I feel uncomfortable with gel or such like in my hair.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/17 at 7:08 am

I feel uncomfortable with gel or such like in my hair.

same here, makes your hair too stiff and hard to comb out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 7:12 am

deleted
Come to think of it, spam did not exist in the 1950s, but scamming most certainly did.

Written By: LooseBolt on 08/29/17 at 6:20 am

Yes, but not for the reason most would expect. FDR created an environment in the 1940s that things "can be done" in America, that national cooperation was possible, and that people could make the government and society better. Simply, although things like racism/sexism/homophobia ran rampant in the 1950s, the Greatest Generation (and particularly the more liberal-leaning of the cohort) held this optimistic view of their ability to change things and that the government could effect positive changes in society like that. Civil rights did not start with the marches and it didn't take the hippies to be antiwar, though they certainly both entered the mainstream by 1955 and 1967, respectively.

I hope that all makes sense.

Edit: Plus I think it's important to remember this is the generation that fought and prevailed against McCarthyism.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/17 at 2:09 pm

I think the music was good in the 50's.

Written By: d90 on 08/29/17 at 11:51 pm

Come to think of it, spam did not exist in the 1950s, but scamming most certainly did.

spam the canned cooked meat existed back then

Written By: Howard on 08/30/17 at 5:05 am

I think Phillip was referring to computer viruses.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/06/17 at 2:39 am

No, I wouldn't want to live in the '50s. They are too conservative for my liking.

Have decided to expand on this post I made a few months ago, because, well...it's raining outside and i'm home alone, bored. :P

Anyway, the '50s aren't a decade I would ever have an interest in experiencing. While I appreciate the development and success of rock 'n roll, I personally don't like any RandR songs or any songs released during the decade. There is very little variety in song formulas and they all generally sound similar to each other. In all honesty, the only aspect of 1950's pop culture I do like are the Looney Tunes shorts. Everything else is too simplistic and conservative for my liking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/17 at 3:03 am

The spam you speak of has a capital 'S' at the beginning of the word, as it is a trademark name of a product.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/17 at 5:10 am

What music would I be hearing?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/17 at 5:26 am

What music would I be hearing?
I can imagine myself listening to classical music, and probably to the non-rock n rock songs.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/17 at 5:57 am

I can imagine myself listening to classical music, and probably to the non-rock n rock songs.

Elvis Presley, Little Richard and Chuck Berry.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/17 at 6:50 am

Elvis Presley, Little Richard and Chuck Berry.
These day I prefer the easy listening Elvis Presley to his RnR songs.

Written By: 2001 on 11/06/17 at 1:10 pm

Maybe just to see what the hype is all about. I'd want to be younger though, rather than waste 10 good years of precious adulthood there.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/06/17 at 4:16 pm

I wish that I could experience the second half of the 1950s (1955-1959) but the only conditions would be that segregation and overt racism be nonexistent.

I actually like 1950s America besides the racism.....and Polio.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/17 at 6:14 pm

I wish that I could experience the second half of the 1950s (1955-1959) but the only conditions would be that segregation and overt racism be nonexistent.

I actually like 1950s America besides the racism.....and Polio.

I don't get this fascination/love of the 50s here, the pre-Civil Rights era. I'm sorry, there is no "I'd love to be in the 50s if there was no racism and no segregation and no polio and no this and no that and if nobody smoked". Well then, you don't have the 50s. There is no "if only". You either take the 50s or you don't. There is no re-arranging history. This isn't Disney.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/06/17 at 7:04 pm

I don't get this fascination/love of the 50s here, the pre-Civil Rights era. I'm sorry, there is no "I'd love to be in the 50s if there was no racism and no segregation and no polio and no this and no that and if nobody smoked". Well then, you don't have the 50s. There is no "if only". You either take the 50s or you don't. There is no re-arranging history. This isn't Disney.

Cool it there.

I don't have a "fascination" with the '50s. You can like a decade for certain elements and not for others. In addition, it's not like we can even time travel to a previous decade...so there's no need to get so riled up about my opinion.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/06/17 at 7:04 pm

Cool it there. Don't take my statement so personal.

I don't have a "fascination" or "love" for the '50s. A person can like a decade for certain elements and not for others. In addition, it's not like we can even time travel to a previous decade...so there's no need to get so riled up about my opinion.

Written By: d90 on 11/06/17 at 7:17 pm

Though I would not want to live in the 50s, I would want to visit the 50s and see my ancestors. I would also go to visit Disney Land.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/06/17 at 8:10 pm

Personally, I don't long to experience the 50s.  I have a "bloom where you're planted" philosophy, and I think it was just fine being a kiddie in the 60s and a teen in the 70s.  Besides, my mom's young adulthood was in the 50s, and some of her stories revealed to me the darker sides that people forget about.  Growing up when I did, the things that became important to me, I got them.  I didn't miss the lack of technology - nobody misses what isn't there.  I feel I grew up with top rate television and incredible music - those were things that mattered to me.  Society was changing, and I was at just the right age to enjoy the fruits of the changes.  (For instance, I joined my high school girls' track team - in it's second year of existence  :o )

There are a lot of things about the 50's that seem glamorous and attractive.  But on the whole, I don't mind so much that I missed it.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/17 at 8:17 pm

Cool it there. Don't take my statement so personal.

I don't have a "fascination" or "love" for the '50s. A person can like a decade for certain elements and not for others. In addition, it's not like we can even time travel to a previous decade...so there's no need to get so riled up about my opinion.

Sorry.  :-[  I wasn't really aiming my comment at you specifically. I was going for a general statement of how everything in any given time is entangled. The music, the fashion, the politics. Art imitates life, life imitates art, etc, so if one likes certain aspects of a decade, then the other, perhaps less pleasant, aspects come right along with it, or lurking somewhere in there. Or something like that.  :)

Written By: Escondudo on 11/06/17 at 8:19 pm

Of course not. There's still plenty of racism and milkshakes today, so I'll pass.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/06/17 at 8:32 pm

Sorry.  :-[  I wasn't really aiming my comment at you specifically. I was going for a general statement of how everything in any given time is entangled. The music, the fashion, the politics. Art imitates life, life imitates art, etc, so if one likes certain aspects of a decade, then the other, perhaps less pleasant, aspects come right along with it, or lurking somewhere in there. Or something like that.  :)

You make a great point. I hope people really sit on it.

Written By: Captain_Nostalgia on 11/06/17 at 8:42 pm

Let's not have a romance for something that never really was.

It was, and then some.  Just because the world had problems back then, doesn't mean everything sucked. Crime was low, people had jobs, things were simpler. With that being said, I could never imagine living in the 50's.  There's not much I like from that decade, except for maybe the cars and the women.  The same for the 60's.  Now the 70's I could dig.  Especially knowing the 80's was coming up next.  ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/06/17 at 8:43 pm

The other part of the point being, that the parts of a decade that people like, especially in a cultural decade period, might not be that way if it wasn't for the bad parts.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/06/17 at 8:43 pm

OK...fair enough. No worries :).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/07/17 at 2:58 am

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but that's a Happy Days reference. :P  Bit ironic since it's a thread about the '50s.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/07/17 at 7:05 am

These day I prefer the easy listening Elvis Presley to his RnR songs.

I like a little bit of the early 70's Elvis.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/17 at 7:07 am

What was the crime rate back then? ???

Written By: 2001 on 11/11/17 at 1:32 am

What was the crime rate back then? ???

It was a lot safer than the turbulent '60s, and the more dangerous '70s/'80s. It's only slightly safer compared to today (2010s), not a huge difference.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/17 at 2:38 pm

It was a lot safer than the turbulent '60s, and the more dangerous '70s/'80s. It's only slightly safer compared to today (2010s), not a huge difference.

So I would walk the streets without anybody stalking me? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/17 at 2:42 pm

So I would walk the streets without anybody stalking me? ???
There was still McCarthyism?

Written By: Howard on 11/11/17 at 3:39 pm

There was still McCarthyism?

What's that?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/17 at 3:43 pm

What's that?
The practice of making accusations of subversion or treason without proper regard for evidence. The term refers to U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy and has its origins in the period in the United States known as the Second Red Scare, lasting roughly from 1947 to 1956 and characterized by heightened political repression as well as a campaign spreading fear of Communist influence on American institutions and of espionage by Soviet agents.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/12/17 at 6:47 pm

I would have been sexually repressed.  :-X  :-X  :-X

Written By: Howard on 12/13/17 at 2:24 pm

I would have been sexually repressed.  :-X  :-X  :-X

How so?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/13/17 at 2:24 pm

I would probably score a girlfriend in the 50's.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/17 at 6:08 pm

How so?  ???

Howard, I'm not a straight male. I would pretty much have to lie about my
sexuality, or only tell those I truly trust, if it was 1959!  :D

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/14/17 at 7:13 pm

If you even told people you trust, you'd probably get lynched.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/17 at 9:54 pm

If you even told people you trust, you'd probably get lynched.

Or simply disowned. Maybe you're right, because I haven't done enough research on it
yet.

Or, my family would have sent me to a counselor to help with my 'mental illness'. And
then I would have lied and said that I was cured, then dated a girl out of necessity.

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/17 at 10:02 pm

Or simply disowned. Maybe you're right, because I haven't done enough research on it
yet.

Or, my family would have sent me to a counselor to help with my 'mental illness'. And
then I would have lied and said that I was cured, then dated a girl out of necessity.

You would probably get locked up in a mental asylum rather than with a counsellor. :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/17 at 10:03 pm

You would probably get locked up in a mental asylum rather than with a counsellor. :-X

Damn! That's deep!  :(  :(  :(

Written By: 2001 on 12/14/17 at 10:41 pm

Damn! That's deep!  :(  :(  :(

In Canada in the 1950s and 1960s, men working in government were made to undergo a "fruit machine" test. They would look at pornographic pictures of men, and their pupils, pulse and sweat were observed to detect arousal. If you failed the test, you were fired or dishonourably discharged. It was only two weeks ago that the Government of Canada apologized. It was illegal, up until 1992, to be gay and working for the government. :o

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/rcmp-uses-fruit-machine-to-detect-gays (video about the test)
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-november-24-2017-1.4416453/a-small-victory-lgbtq-canadians-purged-from-military-and-public-service-await-apology-1.4416502

Written By: 80sfan on 12/14/17 at 11:00 pm

In Canada in the 1950s and 1960s, men working in government were made to undergo a "fruit machine" test. They would look at pornographic pictures of men, and their pupils, pulse and sweat were observed to detect arousal. If you failed the test, you were fired or dishonourably discharged. It was only two weeks ago that the Government of Canada apologized. It was illegal, up until 1992, to be gay and working for the government. :o

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/rcmp-uses-fruit-machine-to-detect-gays (video about the test)
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-november-24-2017-1.4416453/a-small-victory-lgbtq-canadians-purged-from-military-and-public-service-await-apology-1.4416502

Can they be anymore blatant?  ;D  ;D  ;D

They weren't trying to be, obviously.  :(

Written By: Howard on 12/15/17 at 7:27 am

Would your parents have believed you in 1959? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/17 at 8:21 pm

Would your parents have believed you in 1959? ???

Not really, I come off 'masculine' to most people. I'm all for challenging ideas about gender, to a limited extent,
but if there were no words to use, then it'll be hard for me to post this at all, to you.  :(  :(  :(

Written By: Howard on 12/20/17 at 6:55 am

How much would it cost to own a house in the 1950's?

Written By: 2001 on 12/21/17 at 11:48 pm

How much would it cost to own a house in the 1950's?

bout tree fiddy

But seriously, it was a lot cheaper back then. Google Search says around $10000, which is around $85000 today when you adjust for inflation.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/17 at 7:29 am

bout tree fiddy

But seriously, it was a lot cheaper back then. Google Search says around $10000, which is around $85000 today when you adjust for inflation.

and then you'd have to use electricity, water, the computer (if they were still around in The 1950's) and the telephone too.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/22/17 at 9:36 am

The computer? I thought that came about in the 1960s and even then, they were as big as a small single-family home.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/17 at 4:34 pm

The computer? I thought that came about in the 1960s and even then, they were as big as a small single-family home.

But Loose, What did they use in the 1950's? ???

Written By: 2001 on 12/22/17 at 4:53 pm

There were no home computers back then. There weren't even calculators. People did math by hand.

Written By: ofkx on 12/22/17 at 6:30 pm

I wouldn't want to live in any decade before 60s. Your life would be shi*ty if you weren't a white male.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 12/22/17 at 8:39 pm

I wouldn't want to live in any decade before 60s. Your life would be shi*ty if you weren't a white male.

*Middle class and rich white male.

To play devil's advocate, there are still many parts of the country today where your life will be sh*tty if you're not a White male.

Written By: LooseBolt on 12/22/17 at 8:59 pm

You should know better than me, you're almost twice my age.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/17 at 6:58 am

There were no home computers back then. There weren't even calculators. People did math by hand.

Well, they had to at least have something?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/23/17 at 7:36 am

Well, they had to at least have something?  ???

They had adding machines. They were cumbersome and could only add. No other functions. They were expensive and basically used only in offices and banks where people had to add long columns of numbers:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_690643

Of course, there was always the abacus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus#/media/File:Boulier1.JPG

Keep in mind, that not every household even had a phone in the 1950s and most certainly not every household had a television. And what television programming there was was only on a few hours a day. In black and white. And if you were lucky enough to have a phone you had to share a "party line" with several other people. That means at any given time you picked up the phone, somebody somewhere else might be using that same line (you could hear their conversation on your end) and you had to wait until they were done. People didn't stay on the phone too long in those days. And if you had something private to say you met them face to face or sent a letter.

Yous till want to live in the 50s?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/23/17 at 7:56 am

They had adding machines. They were cumbersome and could only add. No other functions. They were expensive and basically used only in offices and banks where people had to add long columns of numbers:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_690643

Of course, there was always the abacus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus#/media/File:Boulier1.JPG

Keep in mind, that not every household even had a phone in the 1950s and most certainly not every household had a television. And what television programming there was was only on a few hours a day. In black and white. And if you were lucky enough to have a phone you had to share a "party line" with several other people. That means at any given time you picked up the phone, somebody somewhere else might be using that same line (you could hear their conversation on your end) and you had to wait until they were done. People didn't stay on the phone too long in those days. And if you had something private to say you met them face to face or sent a letter.

Yous till want to live in the 50s?  ???

Maybe not but it is a good decade of what life was like without the technologies we see today compared to yesteryear.

Check for new replies or respond here...